Old 11-12-2018, 02:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,768 Times in 1,148 Posts

Record yourself doing Door Frame Drills. Your shoulders are out of sequence and going way too early and end up hugging yourself.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 224 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Watch the direction of my shift with respect to the direction of the throw:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpx3hQvli1r/
Wow. This is kind of crazy in that you are striding very right to left on the teepad yet throwing a hyzer. Is that how you always throw a hyzer?
Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 377 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Wow. This is kind of crazy in that you are striding very right to left on the teepad yet throwing a hyzer. Is that how you always throw a hyzer?
Yes:

It's what we've been discussing regarding shifting to the left of your trajectory.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Yes:

It's what we've been discussing regarding shifting to the left of your trajectory.
Yeah copy that, I just didn't realize your stride would be so right to left on a pure hyzer. I just figured you'd make a slight adjustment.

I stride right to left for hyzerflips, and since the discussion of all this more drastically and that's been really helpful. But on pure hyzers, my stride is still generally speaking left to right but still throwing left of trajectory...
Old 11-15-2018, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
But on pure hyzers, my stride is still generally speaking left to right but still throwing left of trajectory...
That is how I throw pure hyzers - left to right x-step. Everything moves more in direction to the trajectory/apex. This also means my swing doesn't have to change for different shots, as my feet do the aiming.

I don't consider right to left x-step a pure hyzer, I consider that a power fade hyzer which I rarely ever throw because I find it really hard to aim/consistent and don't see much benefit. You can generate more torque that way as your change your direction more and the disc's direction and reachback further. I don't recommend learning to throw that way, it's more advanced move IMO. I find that players learning to throw with right to left x-step and throwing hyzer just end up rounding and hooking hyzers.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Yeah, it's worth understanding that there's a difference between

A. Striding targetward with 20 off-set feet
B. Striding 20 left of the target with back toes inline with front heel

It's so ingrained in my throw, that I have to really visualize which way I'm shifting and it feels crazy far left .

But when you do B. - your putting yourself into a position that resists the redirection. If you go the way that you're going above, the only way to resist is to jam onto your hip.
Quote:
Watch the direction of my shift with respect to the direction of the throw:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpx3hQvli1r/
Quote:
Yes: It's what we've been discussing regarding shifting to the left of your trajectory.
Side note: in terms of verbiage, I kind of prefer how you described it in your A vs B with "striding" as opposed to "weight shift". I understand you're using them at least somewhat synonymously but I feel like "shifting to the left" might lead more of us sheep to stepping to the left outside of our stance type posture as in the striding targetward with offset feet, A above.

If the stance is still neutral just hopped 20 degrees to the left, the weight shift essentially is still the same, no? Weight shift may be toward left directionally but you're still shifting in line just striding diagonally to the left... ?

I wish I could find SW's markup of the zig zag COG. I think that is the secret sauce that goes a long with all of this discussion. During backswing center of gravity goes behind rear ankle, then bounces on inside of that ankle... COG then goes down the line behind front ankle then around inside of ankle during forward swing. This is the same thing as what you talked about in your recent video, HUB (nice btw)...In that, you can feel the COG zig zag happening in this manner as you swing something heavy or battering ram or left handed slap shot.

So with all that being said it's most helpful for me to think of striding to the left but still "shifting from behind", which sort of even feels like to the right teepad direction). If I do this and stay upright, I feel much more within my stance, not outside the frame. Whereas when I was initially thinking shift left, I would leverage myself toward the left too much just like billy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Stride front foot straight down the line right over top your rear foot, or even more left to right to left, or circling inside out like Lizotte/Jenkins. You are pushing leftward off the rear foot instead of straight or rightward, aka sevam1 "the move".

Niced: (1)
Old 11-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 182 Times in 127 Posts

I'm starting to figure some stuff out with posture and leverage that are really helping me out. I'm trying to keep my shoulders and hips square to each other, and everything tight and leveraged within that frame. I'm looking at older videos of myself, and I can see right where that frame collapses and I lose leverage (when the transition/weight shift starts). Still have major issues with the load, but I think I've got a few ques now to stay consistent in accuracy and distance.

Per request, door frame drill

Standstill with a ****ty angle

X-step, behind

Old 11-17-2018, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

That's exactly what I thought you would look like in Door Frame Drill, rear knee way too bent, and not really turned back in hips and leveraged forward through knee. The Door Frame should be pulling/turning your further back into the backswing as your weight leads away from it - I'm much more upright and relaxed through the body in a freewheeling backswing. You are trying to pull the Door Frame with your body/arm instead of your weight and you are resisting turning back away and look very tight/tensed up.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-17-2018 at 05:49 PM.