Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: What level player are you & do you try to modulate the amount of spin on your throw?
I'm pretty advanced. I just throw and don't worry about more or less spin. 32 42.67%
I'm pretty advanced. I use different levels of spin to make my discs/shots work. 16 21.33%
I'm not very advanced. I don't worry about putting different levels of spin on my throws. 21 28.00%
I'm not very advanced. I try to control the level of spin on my shots. 6 8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2017, 04:12 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Question for those that actively manipulate spin: Does a person decrease the power output of their throw while increasing the speed through the hit in order to achieve an increase in spin? Would this practice be beneficial on very windy occasions (20+mph)?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I don't get where the disconnect is here.

Go play catch with a lid and throw 2 passes, one that is barely spinning and one that is spinning super fast, where they both have (ok, roughly) the same speed and release angles.

Do we agree that is possible to do?
To someone 20' away, yes. To someone 300' away, no.

Quote:
If we do, then how can you argue that it's impossible to do the same thing on a drive?
Because the technique and hand speed required to throw 20' is way different than what's required to throw 300'. There are a lot of things that are easy to do slowly but impossible to do very fast.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm_32123 View Post
Question for those that actively manipulate spin: Does a person decrease the power output of their throw while increasing the speed through the hit in order to achieve an increase in spin? Would this practice be beneficial on very windy occasions (20+mph)?
[Full disclosure: I am a novice]

I vary spin only when putting and only to overcome wind. Shortening my arm motion and using more wrist cock and acceleration through release is how I do it when I am forced to.

We had shifting winds 20-25 mph steady, gusts to 40-45 yesterday and, without really upping the spin, I was struggling with even 10-15' putts getting blown in every direction.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

isn't the DFP grip a way to increase spin in addition to throwing nose down during backhand distance throws?

i've seen it in action with sponsored pros and that increased amount of spin from then DFP grip makes even super overstable discs like PD2 go straight 350ft before eventually succumbing to LSS.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 672 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
isn't the DFP grip a way to increase spin in addition to throwing nose down during backhand distance throws?

i've seen it in action with sponsored pros and that increased amount of spin from then DFP grip makes even super overstable discs like PD2 go straight 350ft before eventually succumbing to LSS.
I would think the DFP would theoretically decrease spin (if anything) since the pinch point is closer to the center of mass. What we call HSS or turn is associated with lower angle of attack. I think the nose down thing is the main effect of the DFP grip...
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

the dfp actually creates leverage by allowing the thumb to slip into the pinch, sort of like a tribuchet/catapult ejecting the disc with more speed/spin.

that's why you can see guys throw overstable drivers nose down and it still goes straight and a disc like a pd2 looks like a teebird in flight (goes laser straight then fade at the very end).

if anything throwing nose down with such overstable discs would make them hyzer out faster.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post

if anything throwing nose down with such overstable discs would make them hyzer out faster.
We already have enough nonsense in this thread, doc.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,822 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I would think the DFP would theoretically decrease spin (if anything) since the pinch point is closer to the center of mass. What we call HSS or turn is associated with lower angle of attack.
^ 100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I think the nose down thing is the main effect of the DFP grip...
I believe it actually puts the nose slightly more up, and the main effect is more linear speed and less spin, like you said the leverage point is closer to the center of mass so the power is more centered behind the disc, than radially leveraged out against it. More speed will also cause "more nose down" effect or rather put the center of lift further behind the CoM of the disc, just like throwing in headwind increases relative airspeed causing more turn/roll as the CoL is pushed further back. Also less spin will increase precession/turn/roll, keeping overstable discs appearing straighter/turning.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 93 Times in 35 Posts

I went through a year or two where I'd basically only throw 2 discs, a high speed driver and a putter (super beginner, LHFH), and just manipulate the driver to get it to do what I wanted. Not sure if it's spin or speed exactly - I learned to take my high speed driver on a forehand touch anny flex line to carve up short wooded tunnel holes. I figured it was the lower spin that helped it flex out early and dump left quickly. Not a good habit/practice to get into, but a real easy and consistent way to get 200-250' down a tunnel. That seemed like a pretty handy tool to have, does that count as manipulating spin on purpose?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Because the technique and hand speed required to throw 20' is way different than what's required to throw 300'. There are a lot of things that are easy to do slowly but impossible to do very fast.
So again I ask, where's the limit? Where's the cutoff point where it's no longer possible to intentionally manipulate spin?