Old 08-14-2018, 11:59 AM

Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

I think a nicely beat star/champ firebird is pretty close to fresh star Thunderbird.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2018, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 768 Times in 536 Posts

Yeah the Firebird is pretty awesome.. I can do lots of work with a 160 proline, hence my gyro biased counter culture fission Photon vote... I also like the Roadrunner suggestion.. Add a Valk and a Teebird or Thunderbird and you have a pretty solid bag...

This thread probably should have been titled "Twmmcoy's Ode to my new love the Thunderbird" but not as many people would have bit on that.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 692 Times in 545 Posts

I'll admit I'm no Firebird expert, but the few I've thrown haven't been anything like a Thunderbird. MUCH more overstable and a near complete lack of glide. Innova isn't kidding when they rate the glide of the Firebird at 3. its a great headwind disc, but it doesn't go very far for me. I feel like the Thunderbird will cover a larger range of shots than a Firebird, unless you absolutely thrash the Firebird so badly that it starts flying straight (in which case you should probably just start with a new champ Thunderbird).

As for the Flow, I've only thrown 1 of them. I liked it. It actually does fly like a longer Thunderbird. Very domey with little to no high speed turn.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,595 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'll admit I'm no Firebird expert, but the few I've thrown haven't been anything like a Thunderbird. MUCH more overstable and a near complete lack of glide. Innova isn't kidding when they rate the glide of the Firebird at 3. its a great headwind disc, but it doesn't go very far for me. I feel like the Thunderbird will cover a larger range of shots than a Firebird, unless you absolutely thrash the Firebird so badly that it starts flying straight (in which case you should probably just start with a new champ Thunderbird).
If you see a domey 150 class Firebird give it a try, as an extreme example of what they can be. You can pump them out very straight for a long time, and then they have that late hard Firebird hook up. I've also thrown absolutely thrashed Star Firebirds that flew like a PD...agree though better off starting with a PD/Thunderbird if that disc is lost.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

I used a Star Firebird for a year and a half as an almost exclusively forehand player on rocky courses. As it beat in, it picked up turn. Kept a pretty dumpy fade until I eventually lost it. But I also never threw it backhand because it would have been far too much for my backhand at that time...

Have you guys that have really beaten in Firebirds gotten them to eventually lose fade? Without picking up a bunch of turn?

It seems to me like the beauty of a Thunderbird or PD is that they're still quite HSS but with reduced LSS compared to a Firebird.

Last edited by jjmiller; 08-14-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 692 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
I used a Star Firebird for a year and a half as an almost exclusively forehand player on rocky courses. As it beat in, it picked up turn. Kept a pretty dumpy fade until I eventually lost it. But I also never threw it backhand because it would have been far too much for my backhand at that time...

Have you guys that have really beaten in Firebirds gotten them to eventually lose fade? Without picking up a bunch of turn?

It seems to me like the beauty of a Thunderbird or PD is that they're still quite HSS but with reduced LSS compared to a Firebird.

This is exactly why I love the Thunderbird. No real high speed turn, but it also doesn't have a massive late fade. A Thunderbird will carry for a long distance perfectly flat. I think the 2 fade that Innova lists the Thunderbird at is correct. Most Firebirds I've seen seem to fade pretty much right after you release them... hard. Something in the realm of 4 fade.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Years Playing: 3.5
Niced 33 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Imo this disc is a Champion Banshee. It is slower than Firebird, but because of less fade has similar or more distance.

Last edited by kjr63; 08-14-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,181 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogerfooger98 View Post
I think a nicely beat star/champ firebird is pretty close to fresh star Thunderbird.
I have an early-run Star Thunderbird. It's basically a glide-y Firebird for my noodle arm. Very useful at times, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr63 View Post
Imo this disc is a Champion Banshee. It is slower than Firebird, but because of less fade has similar or more distance.
Love the Champion Banshee. My 165g Banshee is "just right" for throwing into the wind or hyzering around obstacles.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 861 Times in 384 Posts

Another mold to consider is pretty obscure: The Monster L. I bought a few X-out champs purely by accident, and they are very straight flyers. All the high speed stability you could want, but very gentle fade. Not a whole lot of glide tho. Just a point and shoot control driver that's not going to do max distance (especially not for a speed 10!) but also not going to surprise you much ever.

I really do think that the Monster L was ahead of it's time; very much a predecessor to the PD and the Thunderbird. Doesn't help that it's one of the rarer "L" molds, so many don't even know they exist or what that even means.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Slight derail here, but all the L molds are great really. It’s too bad innova doesn’t put much time or effort in to most of them. If they marketed them, and labeled them better they could all do really well.

Niced: (3)