Old 10-02-2018, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,821 Times in 1,732 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
That grip feels so great in hand but I tend to OAT the release quite often with it. Is the inner part of the rim infront of the index knuckle ?
Yeah, the wing rests in front of the knuckle so it doesn’t have to drag over it and create wobble.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 423 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
The points above about grip are very true. I'm a big advocate for a palm-forward FH grip, both to get consistent nose angle and to avoid OAT. But I know that many are more comfortable with a palm-up grip, similar to what's shown by slowplastic and SW22 above.
I would also add that the swing plane/throwing plane of your arm can have massive impact on nose angles.
OP here. Can you expand on your palm forward forehand grip? A picture would also be great. I've only ever played with people that use a palm up grip, basically a variation of the two different grips already pictured in this thread. Honestly both are super uncomfortable with what they make my wrist do to load and unload the shot. Throwing palm forward seems like it would be a much more athletic motion, I've just never even heard of doing that or considered it before. I'm intrigued.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 810 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
OP here. Can you expand on your palm forward forehand grip? A picture would also be great. I've only ever played with people that use a palm up grip, basically a variation of the two different grips already pictured in this thread. Honestly both are super uncomfortable with what they make my wrist do to load and unload the shot. Throwing palm forward seems like it would be a much more athletic motion, I've just never even heard of doing that or considered it before. I'm intrigued.
Gladly!

So for my grip, the pad of my index finger rests on the inside of the rim. When the disc is flat/level, my palm is vertical. That's different from a grip that many use, where the pad of their finger is on the bottom of the flight plate, so the palm is basically parallel with the flight plate.

At the moment of the hit/snap, my wrist goes from extension to flexion, as shown in the picture below. That is different from the hit/snap of a palm-up thrower, which is more like going from ulnar deviation to radial deviation.

My throw is more of a forehand slapping motion, and less of a horizontal chop.
As long as my forearm is swinging level, that's the basis for good nose angle at release.

What you'll see palm-up throwers do, is during the follow through they pronate their wrist. This is just a natural way to disperse the momentum of their throwing motions. BUT, if that happens at all before the release, that's where OAT is introduced.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Eagle Member

Very interesting. I would assume one of the biggest challenges with this grip would be getting a firm enough grip, since it sounds like you're basically just pinching the disc between your index finger and thumb. Do you curl the other three fingers into your palm, similar to if you were making a fist? I'll give this a shot the next time I do field work.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

My other 3 fingers are just kind of stacked underneath the rim. I don't have much problem getting a firm grip unless the disc is wet; then the plastic type makes big differences. I've switched to throwing mostly star plastic instead of the champ I used to throw for grip reasons.

By the time I start accelerating the disc forward on the intended flight path, the disc is stuck to my finger by virtue of it's own inertia. So at that time I'm not pinching the disc; I'm really just pulling it forward on the line.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 159 Times in 53 Posts

Full disclosure: my forehand still sucks.

But I started getting better results when I made a conscious effort to use the flexion/extension movement. I saw Danny Lindahl refer to that in one of his videos, and he was suggesting that this was the correct wrist motion. I was surprised that the forehand videos I watched didn't even mention which way the wrist moves, because that was always a question I had.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,821 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
The points above about grip are very true. I'm a big advocate for a palm-forward FH grip, both to get consistent nose angle and to avoid OAT. But I know that many are more comfortable with a palm-up grip, similar to what's shown by slowplastic and SW22 above.
Mmmm.... my finger pads/prints are flush on inside rim = palm vertical.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-02-2018, 06:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Huh, interesting. Perhaps I don't know everything!

The still frame before you click on that Barsby video is epic.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
My other 3 fingers are just kind of stacked underneath the rim. I don't have much problem getting a firm grip unless the disc is wet; then the plastic type makes big differences. I've switched to throwing mostly star plastic instead of the champ I used to throw for grip reasons.

By the time I start accelerating the disc forward on the intended flight path, the disc is stuck to my finger by virtue of it's own inertia. So at that time I'm not pinching the disc; I'm really just pulling it forward on the line.
I tried the palm forward grip and flexion/extension wrist method in a quick round after work, and INSTANTLY I started throwing way cleaner. Cleared up the nose angle issue immediately! No wobble, even on putters. It's just such a natural motion, similar to hitting a forehand in tennis and to many other athletic movements. The one negative is that the grip feels completely alien, but I think I can get over that since it's such an easier motion overall. Thank you for the suggestion!!!

Niced: (1)

Old 11-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Eagle Member

Thought I'd report back in a month later to give an update. The flexion/extension wrist movement was EXACTLY what I needed. I've paired that with ThrowBot's one finger grip and have seen great progress.

At this point I can throw flick approaches pretty clean, although it's still relatively new to me so I can't yet range those throws as accurately as my backhand approaches. Still, it's nice to be able to step up to any approach shot and have options rather than forcing in a BH when the hole shape and/or wind dictate a FH.

As far as distance goes, I've started being able to reach C1 on some short holes with a flick. My max distance forehand is significantly shorter than I throw putters backhand, so obviously I've still got a lot of room for improvement. I haven't measured distance yet, but I'd guess I'm still under 200 ft on flicks.

Ideally I'd like to be be pushing flicks 250 by the end of the winter. I'm thinking about joining leagues and maybe a tournament or two next year, and my inability to throw forehands was one of the reasons I didn't join tourneys in my first season. I feel like a combo of 350 backhand/250 forehand should be good enough to be competitive in rec divisions, maybe even intermediate.