Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 823 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
I would guess, deep down inside, he was having fun.
I'm sure he was.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 460 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockness Monster View Post
I don't think I have seen Philo throw his Firebird.....or a Teebird for that matter. He basically just throws Destroyers and Rocs.
Just gotta watch Philo play more.

Or you can see him throw those discs here:
Old 11-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,230 Times in 1,045 Posts

Yeah well, Philo takes forever before every throw so who's really winning?

Niced: (1)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,105 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogerfooger98 View Post

I can definitely see the advantage of being really in tune with your discs when you have very few molds. What do you think are the disadvantages? Looking to shake up my bag this off season. Maybe a simpler set up could improve my game/consistency. Thoughts?
Though this has been rehashed several times over the years (not to mention is a hotly contested issue most of the time) I'll provide my input.

First let me say that the simple bag philosophy is what I've always tried to stick to. When I wander from it, I don't play as well. I'm not going to be biased, but provide what I think are advantages/problems with this setup.

I think that in the long term, committing to a simple bag will help you develop your game better. Having less discs to make shots with naturally leads to this, since YOU as the thrower have to adjust your shot based off of the equipment you have instead of just grabbing a disc that will shape a line while using the same delivery angles.

Less decisions can also make a difference on the course. Debating between using your Buzzz, Roc3, or Emac Truth for a shot where any of the 3 will do could cause undo stress or lack of confidence compared to if you only had a buzzz for that kind of shot.

Wear cycles are a completely different thing and I'm not touching that in this thread.

There is definitely advantages to having a lot of molds and keeping your swing the same. If that philosophy didn't work, then why do ball golfers try to keep the mechanics of each swing so consistent? Because a consistent reproducible swing can generate predictable results. And isn't that what we're all after anyway?

Niced: (1)

Last edited by VictorB; 11-29-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 992 Times in 526 Posts

Less molds '= simpler.
Less discs = simpler.

Niced: (4)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

I like both those guys, but...how often do they win? So is that an advantage then?

Heh that being said it's not their bags. They cover all their shots, and neither throw many forehands. You can look at it as either needing more or less discs because of the FH. Some people want "FH specific" stuff, others want more stability variation if they are BH only so they can shape any line. Basically there's no right or wrong way.

If you are a "good" player then do what works for you if you have all your slots covered.

If you are a learning/improving player, then simpler is better. If you have 3 of the same disc, like indistinguishable stability within reason, can you throw them within 15-20' of each other on the lines you use that disc for? If not, then your form has more variation than any disc will. So you're better off throwing more consistently before you vary your discs with small subtleties.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-29-2018, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 522 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Right on the Teebirds. He had two or three. The putter did not have a stock stamp. Not sure what it was.
The putter, huh? Not even putters...
Old 11-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 522 Times in 334 Posts

Everytime I try to lean in the direction of minimalism, I lose my most flippy (most used) disc in the cycle, get frustrated, and switch to premium plastic again. Eventually if I played more and switched up my bag less, my premium stable discs would season into flippy and I would start throwing harder, turning stuff over.

The way it is now though, if I want to go out and have fun I need flippy plastic. I'm talking like, mirage, underworld, beat DX leo flippy. When you start with stuff that far on the US side of the spectrum how minimal can you really get, assuming you want some OS options.

Niced: (2)

Old 11-29-2018, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,285 Times in 2,270 Posts

Some people prefer to not have to change their throw for the shot at hand and have more discs in order to use their natural attributes to shape the shot. Other people prefer to manipulate the angle of the throw with fewer discs to shape shots. Some people like to have a bunch of discs in their bag but can also manipulate angles... Just find out what works best for you.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 11-29-2018 at 03:21 PM.