Old 12-17-2018, 05:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 698 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
What would you have said if he was still part of Discmania.
Yeah I am a Discmania fan but I am not blind. Its not like every Team Discmania member is an amazing player that makes people want to buy their plastic due to their performance solely on the field, either. Granted, that takes superstar powers IMO. Simon and Eagle are the obvious ones, Nate Perkins likely has some pull (and also a signature disc), Grady Shue maybe to an extent but then its road warriors and local guys from there on methinks.

Non-Discmania sponsored pros also throw a lot of love their way. P2s get a lot of media time thanks to Team Innova players putting with them.

DD obviously thinks Eric is worth the contract, but I dont think they are banking on his podium finishes. More like the whole package, a la as laid out by the Lat64 post for example.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaxgoblin View Post
I wish him and his wife nothing but the best, however....to me there is more marketing of his brand than substance in the form of performance. I find it much easier to root for players who speak with their performance primarily and as a result of that become marketable.
Sure but at the end of the day all sponsored players are sales people. Any of them can go to any manufacturer and throw the same rating and have the same finishes in tournies. That is why for me it is fun to follow who plays for who, but it doesn't change what I throw. No sense in me switching up my bag to end up with the exact same results that I had beforehand.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 904 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfer25 View Post
I hope not, at least for his sake. I know you mean nothing by it, but from what has been said, the reason Oakley moved on from Discmania was due to the fact that he wanted to chase his dreams as a player and not an employee.
hmm.. I didn't know that. With his recent marriage I (perhaps wrongly) assumed a steady paycheck would be the priority. Met the guy twice now, definitely a nice guy with some flair on the tee.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,756 Times in 1,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
hmm.. I didn't know that. With his recent marriage I (perhaps wrongly) assumed a steady paycheck would be the priority. Met the guy twice now, definitely a nice guy with some flair on the tee.
A three year contract isn't a steady paycheck? We shouldn't presume to know the details of these contracts, but it seems reasonable to me to assume the full time touring players (i.e. the ones without "real" jobs like the rest of us) who are signing multi-year deals are getting something beyond free discs and polos. And that something gives them some sort of security moving forward otherwise they wouldn't commit that long.

I've been saying it for years (and hyzflip10 just said it), sponsored players are sales reps for their respective companies. Sales reps generally get paid based on the amount of sales they bring in. Doesn't matter how they generate those sales (tournament wins, social media presence, clinics, direct sales, etc) as long as their sponsor/employer is satisfied with what they're doing.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
Sure but at the end of the day all sponsored players are sales people.
Agreed, but at some point there may need to be some "suggested" methods of social marketing tactics. Too much blatant branded promos can send a negative message. Show me a player in a tournament (not in a practice round) video making a great shot with a disc that he bags, that, will send a positive message about both the player and the disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
A three year contract isn't a steady paycheck? We shouldn't presume to know the details of these contracts..
It would indeed depend on the details of the contract. My reply was in reference to my earlier comment about Eric imop, being a hired employee compared to being a sponsored player. In other words, someone they expect to do more for the company other than performing well in tournaments. Is there a difference between a hired pro and a sponsored pro?
Old 12-17-2018, 09:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,756 Times in 1,559 Posts

Quote:
It would indeed depend on the details of the contract. My reply was in reference to my earlier comment about Eric imop, being a hired employee compared to being a sponsored player. In other words, someone they expect to do more for the company other than performing well in tournaments. Is there a difference between a hired pro and a sponsored pro?
Effectively, no, there isn't. At least not at the touring level.

I think the difference between what Eric did for Discmania and what he's doing now for DD is that at Discmania, he was paid to drive the RV. He was basically stapled to Eagle (since he didn't have a license) and I'm assuming didn't get any benefits or incentives for his play, nor any choice on where he went or played on a given weekend. Now, with DD, he's paid to drive the RV but also paid to do clinics and play tournaments and basically go where he wants and do his own thing.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Agreed, but at some point there may need to be some "suggested" methods of social marketing tactics. Too much blatant branded promos can send a negative message. Show me a player in a tournament (not in a practice round) video making a great shot with a disc that he bags, that, will send a positive message about both the player and the disc.
Depends on personal motivation. I have no delusions of being able to throw a disc 500 feet. Discs are a commodity now, not much differentiation between manufacturers.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,593 Times in 294 Posts

So I filmed the FLYR open this weekend. Learned some fun stuff.

Sias Elmore was throwing MVP/Axiom, and throwing it well. Vids start coming out tomorrow.

Nick Newton and Steve Rico are going on tour this year repping Legacy (per the usual), which will be nice as Rico was MIA this year.

Last edited by Royalhghnss; 12-17-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:37 PM

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 29 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
Y’all mitches don’t be scared of some KPI and metrics talk...
Next, we are going to start talking about WIGs, and both lag and lead measures... Please no...