Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-20-2018, 09:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 147 Times in 105 Posts

My whole first year playing was spent trying different putters, Aviars oif various types, Spike, Pure, Wizard, Sparta, and a few others. I settled on Judges but spent another period of time finding the plastic I wanted. Fuzion is amazing; soft enough to stick, durable, and a tick more OS IMO than the other blends. I can't imagine ever switching to something else. I use it as a throwing putter also but bag a Pure, Envy, and Nova as well for various things.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
If I give you a cedar arrow and you fire it out of a heavy compound bow, it will blow up in your face. I am not trying to be a jerkface, but this saying is not even true in archery.

Cedar arrows come in spines heavy enough to handle any compound bow that anyone has any business shooting. Further, there are lots of people shooting longbows and recurves that are just as hard on an arrow as most compound bows in use; and in fact, Howard Hill(commonly considered one of the greatest archers to ever live) frequently used 90-110 lb draw weight longbows when the only shafting available was cedar or perhaps a hardwood like ash or maple.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 494 Times in 265 Posts

Started with a dx aviar, then found my beloved ion. Switched over to the Anode now. 1st in soft proton now I putt the firm electron and have zero interest in ever switching it up.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

Challenger, Banger GT, Aviar, Dagger, Prowler, Pure and finally I settled on the PW Wizard. I certainly hope O have found my putter for life, fills the hand like the dagger for my putting grip but can be thrown comfortably as well. I like minimal putter molds (2) sometimes I debate trying a neaess putter (IDK why because I like the beaded feel) puttong os personal and based on feel. Whatever disc you like the feel of; learn and keep it.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,122 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Cedar arrows come in spines heavy enough to handle any compound bow that anyone has any business shooting. Further, there are lots of people shooting longbows and recurves that are just as hard on an arrow as most compound bows in use; and in fact, Howard Hill(commonly considered one of the greatest archers to ever live) frequently used 90-110 lb draw weight longbows when the only shafting available was cedar or perhaps a hardwood like ash or maple.
A 100 pound longbow has less acceleration than a 65 pound compound. While, I am sure one could get a cedar arrow heavy enough to keep from shattering from a compound bow, a common recurve arrow will shatter. Maybe not the first shot, but it won't last long.

It's been over a decade since I shot archery, but from my 75 pound draw single cam bow, I was still using the heaviest wall aluminum I could purchase from my local sporting goods store, for max accuracy.

You do have me curious what the 150 pound draw Mary Rose warbows were firing.

Point being, the saying is not accurate.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,122 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:

You do have me curious what the 150 pound draw Mary Rose warbows were firing.
For any other history nerds on here...
A few web searches later and it appears to be
.5 inch Aspen shaft reinforced with cowhorn.
1200 gram plus.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:32 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
A 100 pound longbow has less acceleration than a 65 pound compound. While, I am sure one could get a cedar arrow heavy enough to keep from shattering from a compound bow, a common recurve arrow will shatter. Maybe not the first shot, but it won't last long.
Cedar shafting is currently readily available in 80-85lb spine, which equates to .325"-.306" deflection. The "heaviest walled" aluminum shafting ever made is technically 2020, which only has a spine of .426" deflection. A 2219 is also not quite as stiff, at .337" deflection. It would take a 2512 or 2514(much thinner wall, but larger diameter- which has temendously more impact on stiffness than wall thickness) to equal an 80-85 cedar.

I used to shoot 65-70lb spined cedar in my very normal recurve, which equates to .400"-.371" deflection. A 2216 aluminum bare-shafted best through that bow, which has .375" deflection. A 2216 is still a fairly stiff shaft, and my cedar arrows would have survived(and did) just as long from any bow that tuned to a 2216- be it a recurve or compound.

Furthermore, not all compound bows are harder on an arrow than all traditional bows. With a trad bow, the peak draw weight is immediately inflicted upon the arrow. Compounds have let-off and ease into their peak draw weight upon release. Speaking of which, compounds are usually shot with a mechanical release and have perfect centershot, while trad bows are usually shot with fingers and often aren't cut quite to center. A compound does store quite a bit more energy than a trad bow, but if you look at current shaft selection charts, the fastest compounds actually take slightly less spine than the same draw weight recurve.

It's pretty clear that you've never used real cedar shafting for arrows, and probably never shot much recurve or longbow. Maybe if someone were to use toy wooden arrows for a kids bow in an adult compound, they might explode. But an adult recurve or longbow would explode the same arrow just as easily- if not even more easily from the additional paradox. Any quality cedar arrows spined appropriately would survive(and have survived) just fine when fired from a compound bow.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 689 Times in 374 Posts

I started in 2009 and this year the Wizard found me.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 460 Times in 203 Posts

Started with an Aviar P&A, then a Yeti for a while, tried about a dozen putters before choosing Classic Aviars. Took about a year and a half. I like the feel with the firm plastic and grip; just feels right.

The putting confidence program (from the Discraft video) helped me realize that any putter can work. Just gotta build up that confidence and knock down putts.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Took me one year. Started with a Dagger, went to the Pure, tried several others but always gravitated back to the Pure.

Then i heard about the announcement of the Maiden. Always thought a slightly shallower, slightly beaded Pure would probably be my dream putter. Well, the Trilogy Maiden felt perfect in my hand and i really clicked with it soon.

The tournament after the Trilogy Challenge i had my best putting performance yet, realizing i was carried by putting rather than driving for the first time ever. I just made a lot of putts because the Maiden felt right and because its putting flight was predictably exactly as i thought it would be.

I don't like the origio/retro/prime plastic though and always loved the hard Trilogy plastic, so i got BT hard ones upon a special release this month. Really looking forward to next season

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk