Old 09-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,031 Times in 672 Posts

Score is only a part of good, in my first few months I could get around Par or a solid blue level course. This was by throwing tomahawks on almost every shot, and I could throw them accurately to 300 and further at times. Couldn’t really putt, Bh was maybe 200 and not terribly accurate. No FH yet.

Learned FH in about my 5-6 month and could then hit 400 ft within another 3. Could get under par on that same course regularly. BH was getting somewhat respectable.

Almost 8 years in I’m not sure I’m good yet. Can throw FH and BH over 400 now, putt kind of and approach very well. I’ll throw up a good -9 on that same course from time to time, and now par is 3 less than it was.

So better.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2019, 09:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 139 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfen70 View Post
so I can have an idea where I stand.
The ground? The floor?
Old 09-30-2019, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,113 Times in 563 Posts

Everyone's "Good" is subjective. I've been playing for a long time and still don't consider myself good at disc golf.

I can't really remember anything notable from my first year playing other than I threw pretty much all forehand and couldn't putt. Shooting par or better is completely dependent on the courses you're playing.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,474 Times in 1,515 Posts

23 years and counting.

I have a suspicion that the finish line is running faster than I am.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Niced 816 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
...I have a suspicion that the finish line is running faster than I am.
Well said.

When I first started playing, I thought I would be "good" when I could throw consistently. It took me a solid year of DG rounds and field sessions before I could throw with any real consistency.

Then I thought I would be "good" if I could throw far. I developed my form until I could throw my fastest drivers near 450'. That took another year, maybe two.

Then I thought I would be good if I could throw my mids and putters as far as others threw their drivers. Another year or two.

Then scrambling from the rough became my goal. Then dead accurate approaches. This whole time I had been ignoring putting... that eventually became a goal.

The "good" plateau always seems to be tied to the next milestone and I never reach it.

As I get older, I just go out and have fun; I don't even keep score. Sometimes I play against others and they keep score. I beat some people and lose to others. My game has strengths and weaknesses. I have good days and bad days. But I honestly think I have stopped comparing myself to those around me and caring how I measure up. Maybe that means I'm at least partially satisfied with my current skillset? IDK. I've been playing for 20 years. Maybe that's the answer to your question.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:55 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 617 Times in 273 Posts

It took me about two summers to be truly competitive with the other league players in my area. I have a tendency to be inconsistent, but I’m getting better every day.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:57 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 617 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Well said.

When I first started playing, I thought I would be "good" when I could throw consistently. It took me a solid year of DG rounds and field sessions before I could throw with any real consistency.

Then I thought I would be "good" if I could throw far. I developed my form until I could throw my fastest drivers near 450'. That took another year, maybe two.

Then I thought I would be good if I could throw my mids and putters as far as others threw their drivers. Another year or two.

Then scrambling from the rough became my goal. Then dead accurate approaches. This whole time I had been ignoring putting... that eventually became a goal.

The "good" plateau always seems to be tied to the next milestone and I never reach it.

As I get older, I just go out and have fun; I don't even keep score. Sometimes I play against others and they keep score. I beat some people and lose to others. My game has strengths and weaknesses. I have good days and bad days. But I honestly think I have stopped comparing myself to those around me and caring how I measure up. Maybe that means I'm at least partially satisfied with my current skillset? IDK. I've been playing for 20 years. Maybe that's the answer to your question.

That’s the beauty of this sport though- you’re truly only in competition with yourself.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,474 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
That’s the beauty of this sport though- you’re truly only in competition with yourself.
I'm aging and in competition with my former self. And getting whipped on a regular basis.

No, seriously, much like Marmoset, when I ascending my progress was a series of plateaus---or, as I often described it, ratchet. Sudden jump to the next level, stuck there for a while, another sudden jump, level for a while....

With each, better than I had been, better than some people I played with, never as good as some others. Tournament divisions and ratings gave some thresholds to measure. Never reached a point to say "I'm good"; it's all relative.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 220 Times in 145 Posts

You're good enough when you have fun.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHFH