Old 09-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 155 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
His forehand is serviceable enough, I'd say consistency inside C1 is his biggest obstacle, and the stats certainly back that up.

He's always been among the very best in terms of greens hit in regulation, so that tells me whatever he's doing off the tee is working. It's that C1 putting that's recently kept him a stroke or so behind the Ricky/Paul/Eagle crew that do not miss those. Check the DGPT stats, they don't lie.

I'd imagine at this point he's probably thinking more about family and long term income/business ventures (rightfully so) and less about practice putting twice a day/7 days a week.
That's a very, very fair point. He was absolutely on FIRE from C1 during that tournament and if I could figure out how to view the stats from that year I'm sure he was 95%+.

not sure I agree that his forehand is serviceable enough though... he's so good at the turnover backhand shots that it doesn't matter as much as for other players that lack a good forehand but I don't remember him driving forehand once that entire tournament even though there are multiple holes that clearly set up better for a forehand line. You can make a backhand work but the forehand is the optimal play, and Doss didn't do that.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 485 Times in 234 Posts

I was watching old USDGC coverage on Youtube and went back to the 2015 finals with the infamous JEM melt down on 17 and playoff.

It is some great golf to watch. Camera work has came a long way since 2015 IMO and it's kind of cool to see the progress.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because of John E's wizard throw on the long turn over hole 16 - PARK JOB. It appears to be the same tee they still play, but I don't know for sure (391 feet per 2019 caddybook). PMcB was on commentary and was pretty astonished by the shot. It was windy and they probably had a good wind for John E to go for the shot, but damn it was impressive.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 601 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
That's a very, very fair point. He was absolutely on FIRE from C1 during that tournament and if I could figure out how to view the stats from that year I'm sure he was 95%+.

not sure I agree that his forehand is serviceable enough though... he's so good at the turnover backhand shots that it doesn't matter as much as for other players that lack a good forehand but I don't remember him driving forehand once that entire tournament even though there are multiple holes that clearly set up better for a forehand line. You can make a backhand work but the forehand is the optimal play, and Doss didn't do that.
Doss actually has an under-rated forehand. He doesn't go to it very often and he doesn't have elite distance, but he is absolutely money at those 270-320 foot forehand hyzer shots with his Force.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,869 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
Lifetime invites for Champions make sense since this event is run similar to a combination of Majors in golf.

http://www.augusta.com/masters/qualifications
yeah i love your idea lets copycat everything about ball golf

Old 09-30-2019, 02:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 687 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
I was watching old USDGC coverage on Youtube and went back to the 2015 finals with the infamous JEM melt down on 17 and playoff.

It is some great golf to watch. Camera work has came a long way since 2015 IMO and it's kind of cool to see the progress.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because of John E's wizard throw on the long turn over hole 16 - PARK JOB. It appears to be the same tee they still play, but I don't know for sure (391 feet per 2019 caddybook). PMcB was on commentary and was pretty astonished by the shot. It was windy and they probably had a good wind for John E to go for the shot, but damn it was impressive.
I watched all the past years footage of #17 #18 that I could find. Schusterick and Ricky also melted down on #17. That was obviously final round only. There have been more victims on other rounds too. Titillating to see who it eats up this year. Well, other holes too, but this is the main dish always.

JohnE has been throwing those sick putter anhyzers with a Shield since then.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:14 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
yeah i love your idea lets copycat everything about ball golf
If you (plural) want to #growthesport and make DG something great, then copying some good ideas from other sports is not a bad idea.

The Masters's tradition of the ceremonial tee-offs is a really nice thing. I remember seeing Mr. Sam Snead teeing off, and Mr. Bryon Nelson, nearly 100 years old, not teeing off but sitting there and being introduced. They're gone, but the great trio of Mr. Jack Nicklaus, Mr. Arnold Palmer, and Mr. Gary Player started doing it, and it was a sad moment seeing Arnold Palmer's green jacket being placed on an empty chair after he passed away.

DG is just getting to where there are 'old timers' that paved the way, and having ceremonial first throws would be very cool. I'm sure they could come up with some other great traditions over time, as well, and if those ideas are borrowed from other sports, so be it.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,285 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post

https://udisclive.com/players/nathandoss?t=gmc2017

79% C1x 39th and was 28% C2 29th

Old 09-30-2019, 08:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,869 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
If you (plural) want to #growthesport and make DG something great, then copying some good ideas from other sports is not a bad idea.

The Masters's tradition of the ceremonial tee-offs is a really nice thing. I remember seeing Mr. Sam Snead teeing off, and Mr. Bryon Nelson, nearly 100 years old, not teeing off but sitting there and being introduced. They're gone, but the great trio of Mr. Jack Nicklaus, Mr. Arnold Palmer, and Mr. Gary Player started doing it, and it was a sad moment seeing Arnold Palmer's green jacket being placed on an empty chair after he passed away.

DG is just getting to where there are 'old timers' that paved the way, and having ceremonial first throws would be very cool. I'm sure they could come up with some other great traditions over time, as well, and if those ideas are borrowed from other sports, so be it.
lol ok

Old 10-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Par Member

Niced 120 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
1st or 2nd in every single throwing category they took stats for (out of 125!). Whatever he's doing off the tee is elite level (and has been for a long time).

Only way to get that putt into the 90% range and bang with the big boys and girls is sheer repetition, every single day, like a samurai sharpening a sword. You know Pablo, Ricky, Paige and Eagle are doing it.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,205 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I find the Winthrop Gold course to be plenty scenic. Most of it, anyway. Somewhere on the scale between a park course and a golf course, with groomed and undulating grassy fairways, landscaping, the lake, and the clubhouse building. It's not a natural setting, but it's pretty nice.
Have never watched any of the USDGC videos, so I really can't say how the course comes across on screen. But I recall what it looked like when I played there several years ago. I think the course is pretty scenic myself

...as long as they don't zoom in too close on the grass around the lake. Good lord, was that area ever laden with goose poop. Would definitely look better with a wide shot.