Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,230 Times in 1,045 Posts
Default Richmond Hill bashed?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/review...mode=rev#27545

I've yet to play there so I reserve judgment but it seems like rating it a 2 is a little harsh compared to the other reviews. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 27.2
Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see another reviewer described the course similarly (slick tees, redundant holes) but gave it four discs. I guess dude just had a bad day? I think all reviews should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt unless they're well thought-out and described in full.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,230 Times in 1,045 Posts

His review isn't necessarily bad, it's just very clear that he's rating it lower than normal b/c his "expectations" weren't met. Seems like odd rating criteria.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I played there when I was a brand new noob, and I still compare every course I have played to Richmond Hill, and so far nothing matches it.
Unmet expectations as rating qualifications? Interesting
Old 11-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 322
Niced 47 Times in 18 Posts

Part of the high rating for Richmond Hill is for the old configuration. They recently redid it on some different land and I personally thick the new setup is nowhere close to being as good as the original. I think his disappointment is the reason for the rating, and is somewhat justified. (he should have read my review!!!)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:20 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

How long ago was the course redone? I played it within the last six months. Would that have been the new layout?
Old 11-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
His review isn't necessarily bad, it's just very clear that he's rating it lower than normal b/c his "expectations" weren't met. Seems like odd rating criteria.

Many of the low ratings for Delaveaga cite the same thing, it didn't match up to the hype. It's still a great course.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,411 Times in 1,499 Posts

I agree with the review. Which, I guess, puts me in the minority.

After all the high ratings and hearing good things about Richmond Hill, a couple of us dropped by on the way back from Sugaree. We were VERY disappointed, to the point that we didn't finish, but did take a look at some of the holes we didn't play and then went home. The tees didn't bother me but the layouts of many fairways did---especially the repeated "over-the-valley" shots.

I didn't review it because I didn't play every single hole, and thought perhaps if I ever play it again I may see it differently. But if I had, I'd have rated it 2.5.....and it was unappealing enough that I doubt I'll take time to play it again and do a review.

So I don't see that review as a "bash"---just an opinion from someone who didn't care for Richmond Hill.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 325
Niced 225 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjreagh View Post
Part of the high rating for Richmond Hill is for the old configuration. They recently redid it on some different land and I personally thick the new setup is nowhere close to being as good as the original. I think his disappointment is the reason for the rating, and is somewhat justified. (he should have read my review!!!)
The "new" configuration is 3 years old. Based on review dates, most people (myself included) have only played this layout; therefore, it probably has nothing to do with the layouts.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 325
Niced 225 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/review...mode=rev#27545

I've yet to play there so I reserve judgment but it seems like rating it a 2 is a little harsh compared to the other reviews. Thoughts?
If you read this review and his review for Highland Hills, you can see he's comparing them against each other instead of simply on their own merits. He liked Highland more than Richmond, which makes it seems that he overrated what he liked at HH and marked down Richmond. Also, the criticisms he makes against RH, he seems to list as positives for Rankin Lake, his home course. It's ok, he also ranked Va-Du-Mar really low because some holes were "too short" in the short position. He also doesn't like the 9-hole Stump Creek course, so maybe he should check out the 18-hole Stumpy Creek if he wants a real challenge.