Old 10-02-2014, 03:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 249
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 352 Times in 175 Posts
Default Dangerous conditions on natural pads

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding teeing off not on the designated natural tees.

Neither Concrete or any other form of constructed tee pads exist where I play, which makes teeing off in the same spot over the duration of a tournament difficult. Assuming the "pad" is torn up enough to warrant a side tee off and it wasn't already discussed during the pre round briefing , can I choose whichever side I want? I am aware that I could maybe choose to tee off further back, but sometimes it's not really an option.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 889 Times in 525 Posts

I'm guessing it's up to the TD?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 511 Times in 239 Posts

If the TD specifically allows throwing beside the tee then the alternate area should be marked, otherwise you must throw from behind the tee.

This is addressed in the PDGA Q&A
Quote:
QA 30: Unplayable or Unsafe Tees
Q:
What can I do about an unplayable, unsafe, or poorly marked tee?

A:
If the problem with the tee is a casual obstacle that cannot be easily removed (such as standing water), you can take casual relief up to 5m behind the tee. No relief is provided for other adverse tee conditions, though you can place a towel down to provide traction if the tee is slippery. If you're desperate, you can use the Optional Relief rule to move back along the line of play as far as you like, at the cost of one penalty throw. If the tee is poorly marked, locate an official or a local player in other groups if possible to help identify the tee area boundaries. Applicable Rules: 803.01 Obstacles and Relief; 801.03 Artificial Devices.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 280 Times in 149 Posts

Natural tees allow up to 3m back in the rules. You cannot just decide to throw next to the teeing area. I know for some courses tee areas have been specifically placed to prevent certain routes that would be available if the tee was moved left or right.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 256
Niced 47 Times in 26 Posts

We have allowed people to tee off from the left side of a tee when the tee pad is clearly hazardous. There is one hole where teeing off on the left gives an advantage, but everyone is given the same advantage.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 212
Niced 282 Times in 166 Posts

BY rule, on natural tee pads you have up to 3 m backward from that forwardmost line, if it isn't marked. So you can throw from further back, but not off to the side unless the TD specifically allows it.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 249
Niced 352 Times in 175 Posts

By rule can I hold up play to get a ruling from the TD if everything on and behind the teepad becomes unsafe half way through the round?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

If the TD knows the course , he/she should know if previous weather conditions have rendered certain teeboxes unsuitable for play. We have a few boxes that are swampy if it rained previously so the TD will say you can put from X spot to the right/left/behind swamp spot if you don't want to faceplant in the clay.

If all else fails, just take a few steps back and throw a bit harder to make up for it. No sense in holding everyone up to run back and personally ask the guy.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:08 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,623 Times in 735 Posts

Is it truly unsafe or undesirable? Just because you can't take your normal run-up and release doesn't mean it can't be played. For example, we play on icy tee pads in winter and just deal with it. I think the deciding point for an unacceptable tee is if you would actually take an optional relief penalty if you landed in that location on the fairway.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 10-10-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 828
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Is it truly unsafe or undesirable? Just because you can't take your normal run-up and release doesn't mean it can't be played. For example, we play on icy tee pads in winter and just deal with it. I think the deciding point for an unacceptable tee is if you would actually take an optional relief penalty if you landed in that location on the fairway.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Tees are intended to provide good footing for the drive, it's a different situation than a bad lie down the fairway. I think it's entirely reasonable for a TD to provide an alternate teeing area even for something like mud or a wet rubber pad. Ice is a different situation, where you generally can't really avoid it even with moving to a different spot.