Old 08-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,184 Times in 601 Posts
Default Sponsor Effect

I was thinking specifically about Paul, maybe Will, and Ricky...the big name pros. Innova has basically given McBeth the world. He said he has his own training facility, the nice RV, travel paid for...etc...etc.

How much of Paul's success is due to Innova, and how much is from Paul himself? If Nikko was given the same opportunities, would he be the best? If Will was given his own mobile home, and a nice car, would that allow for him to relax more? How much would that improve his game? How much could Ricky improve if Lat paid for his own disc golf training center?

This has nothing to do with the discs, so I don't want to go down that road. I'm strictly speaking of the sponsor's ability to take care of their player, and how that may affect player performance.

And I don't want to take anything away from Paul, or Will, or anybody. They would all be great disc golfers, no matter what they threw. But I do believe that Innova is truly making a champion, probably as they did with Climo before, and now with McBeth.

I guess you could say that the answer is obvious, in that all the perks are going to make a better disc golfer. Just wanted to hear your thoughts as to what extent.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 47
Niced 13 Times in 6 Posts

I think its really just about the time Paul puts in...
Old 08-16-2015, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,722 Times in 1,544 Posts

While "perks" can certainly make life easier for a disc golfer, they still have to have the drive, motivation, and ability to take advantage of those perks and put them to best use. So in that sense, I'd have to say no, giving those perks to random pro X isn't necessarily going to make that player better. Having perks tailored to an individual player probably helps in a lot of ways, but the extent of how much it will help is very much up to the player. What works for Paul might not work for Will or Nikko or Ricky, but by the same token, whatever it is that would help those guys be the best they could possibly be might not work for Paul either.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 100 Times in 48 Posts

My opinion is that you can provide player A with all the luxuries and it would enable them to focus on golf and excel. You could provide the same to player B and he would get soft and lose his competitive hunger.

I think in Paul's case he is so driven to be great that it wouldn't matter how much support he gets. A common theme among the greats in many sports is that they hate losing more than they love winning.

A criticism I read about US golfers (ball golf) is that even mediocre players are millionaires in the current format. This has reduced the hunger to excel and has resulted in "softer" players. It was an interesting attempt to explain why we keep getting it handed to us in the Ryder Cup in recent years.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,172 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpro View Post
I think its really just about the time Paul puts in...
This. Innova's support didn't make the Beast. The Beast made The Beast.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I don't think KC got nearly the sponsor support PM gets.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,219 Times in 1,099 Posts

I think Paul's internal drive is what make him so great. He'd have won a world Champion without sponsorship, maybe even two. That said, I have no doubt that the level of support he gets from Innova plays a big role in making a run of championships. Not sure he'd have been able to win a 4th without that level of support throughout that part of his career, allowing him to maintain his focus and spend so much time practicing.

As Jowie said, some would "think they've arrived" and become complacent... that's where Paul's work ethic allows him to excel where not everyone else would.

He'd still be McBeast if he got the same level of support from any of the major names... but do any of them take care of their top pros to the same degree that Innova takes care of McBeth?

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-16-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,208 Times in 533 Posts

You get out of it what you put into it.

I think Paul has probably created these opportunities for himself, and others haven't, for a number of reasons. To say that Paul has been handed anything is to belittle his efforts.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
You get out of it what you put into it.

I think Paul has probably created these opportunities for himself, and others haven't, for a number of reasons. To say that Paul has been handed anything is to belittle his efforts.
This ^^^

Has Paul had support? Of course! But he got the support and maintains it through his own effort. If Innova hadn't picked him up, some other company would have.

Support doesn't create talent, if it did, we would be swimming in a sea of world class tennis, skating, gymnastic and golf wizards who miraculously became great because their parents tossed nothing but "support" on them since they were three.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 259
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Having stuff will not make you mentally stronger than other players at the same caliber. At this level, they all have great skill and having stuff may improve your physical skills, but mentally, this is where it changes. The people you mentioned are all amazing. They all have a head for the game. It does come down to how you handle the pressure and the practice mentally. IMO