Old 09-16-2019, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 826 Times in 565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMonk View Post
One disc I wish I could include is the Escape. I have had some really impressive throws from this 9 speed that match or exceed anything I can do with a proper distance driver. The problem with it is inconsistency. The wind will really mess with it. I guess that has to do with its high glide. So I have come to rely on the 11 speed Thrasher which in the varieties of Z plastic is better at dealing with the wind. Ultimately I would like to scale down on the speed of my drivers for the sake of overall consistency. My dream disc is a 20 mm, 9 | 4 | -1 | 1 disc, that goes far and handles moderate wind.
I bought a BioFuzion Escape recently for no good reason. Turns out, it's perfect for the short basket placement(355) of one of our holes. So now that I have thrown it a few times there, I have realized that I would have been VERY happy with those throws with the long basket placement when I normally throw 12 speeds.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,566 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKWolverine View Post
I'm throwing mainly fairway drivers from the tee right now and my most effective driver right now is a 167g TP Hatchet.

Hyzer flips are my preferred way to throw.
Given this info^^^
I have a few recommendations, (coming from a guy near 60 with similar pains).

I don't think you're going to get easy distance by going up in speed and more flippy, from my experience, going down that road is more frustrating.

Take a look at some 150 class stuff, yeah, it's not the greatest in the wind, but you'll learn how deal with it. Besides, you probably already have heavier stuff to deal with the wind when you feel the need.
150 class stuff will also help you to throw smoother and cleaner and can make a world of difference with those aches and pains.

Some 150 class discs I bag and have had real good luck with;
Star and Star-lite Sidewinders and Roadrunners
Air Escapes and Underworlds
The Jade! An easy Hyzer flip machine
Inertia
DX Teebirds and Eagles
And my fastest disc I carry, Star-lite Wraiths. These can really bomb and do well in average wind.

Try some 150 class stuff, it will help you throw cleaner and your body will thank you in return.

Best of luck

Old 09-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts

150g Tern
Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej View Post
150g Tern
I'd be highly dubious. There's a difference between easy distance and being so flippy you can't throw it flat at all. A 150 Tern would be too flippy to get any sort or yardage out of.

I've thrown some starlite Bosses that were under 150g. Even throwing them softly resulted in hard flips and zero distance.

I understand the concept of easy distance, but you need a disc that has at least some resistance to flipping on slow drives.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
A 150 Tern would be too flippy to get any sort or yardage out of.

This is absolutely untrue.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-18-2019, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 177
Niced 121 Times in 75 Posts

Roadrunners, especially the Star fundraiser series (Barsby), under the proper conditions can get just as much distance as any top speed driver. Obvious drawbacks would be being too flippy in a headwind or having sudden elevation under the disc. Low ceilings may hurt as well. However, they are stable enough where you do not have to hit the absolute perfect hyzerflip line to keep it from turning over. Their glide is amazing which qualifies it for being easy distance.

Even better yet, they power down wonderfully as well, making them a versatile necessity in my bag. I am currently running threw of them: super beat PFN Star, a newer regular production run, and a Barsby. The Barsby is just a notch less stable than my PFN Star TeeBirds. My next disc up are Thunderbirds with the Worlds/Defenders after that, so I give a lot of shots to my Roadrunners.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Niced 816 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Agreed. It really depends on how it molds up among other factors. Sure, it MIGHT be uselessly flippy... but it also might be awesome. Stuff like this is why I worked hard to discover, document, and explain the concept of PLH. I was tired of buying discs that didn’t do what I wanted.

Buy your discs in person when you can!

Last edited by Marmoset; 09-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
I'd be highly dubious. There's a difference between easy distance and being so flippy you can't throw it flat at all. A 150 Tern would be too flippy to get any sort or yardage out of.

I've thrown some starlite Bosses that were under 150g. Even throwing them softly resulted in hard flips and zero distance.

I understand the concept of easy distance, but you need a disc that has at least some resistance to flipping on slow drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Agreed. It really depends on how it molds up among other factors. Sure, it MIGHT be uselessly flippy... but it also might be awesome. Stuff like this is why I worked hard to discover, document, and explain the concept of PLH. I was tired of buying discs that didn’t do what I wanted.

We need to remember here that Twmccoy throws harder/faster/farther than most people, especially casual amateurs. So take what he says in that context. A 150-class Tern is an excellent disc for a great many DG players.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post

In addition, every Starlite Tern I have ever thrown has been in the 150s, and has also been less US than every Star Tern I have ever thrown.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:

You don’t know what you’re talking about. I throw my 150 tern pretty well. Seems like you might have OAT problems.