Old 06-24-2016, 11:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 349 Times in 148 Posts

All the other "major sports" just have a standard size metal hole to go through. Catching is a whole different ball game.. er, disc game
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2016, 03:31 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Other sports also have different field sizes or different arenas. They all have standards to make them comparable, but enough room to still be individual. So our tech standards are just fine.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
The biggest problem is the bajjion baskets in the wild that would need to be replaced. Who's going to pay for all that?
I was under the impression the OP meant baskets that would be temporary sit-ins for tournaments on courses that held them, not replacing all baskets on courses everywhere.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,432 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
This. In fact, I would argue if someone is good enough to be on tour then they ought to be good enough to adjust the putting to accommodate the baskets on the course.
I agree.

I also hold to the lonely and heretical view that the differences in catching quality between the top baskets is minor enough to not be an issue.

Combining the impracticality of replacing baskets with the minimal gain in doing so, and it's a non-issue. To me, anyway.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 119 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I agree.

I also hold to the lonely and heretical view that the differences in catching quality between the top baskets is minor enough to not be an issue.

Combining the impracticality of replacing baskets with the minimal gain in doing so, and it's a non-issue. To me, anyway.
I'm not sure Feldberg agrees. Didn't he say something a few years ago about basket standards?
Old 06-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 109
Niced 349 Times in 148 Posts

Ok this discussion gets boring every three months. Just another thread saying what "they" should do. Notifications off.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I was under the impression the OP meant baskets that would be temporary sit-ins for tournaments on courses that held them, not replacing all baskets on courses everywhere.
Even in that case, it's still a cost and labor-intensive endeavor for arguably a minimal gain. As has been noted, the differences between most of the highest caliber targets is subtle if there's a difference at all. I mean, how much is really changed if one were to swap out the Discatchers at Winthrop for Chainstars? Or the Mach Xs at Fountain Hills for Prodigy targets?

Now if we're talking changing courses over to a narrower target (a Bullseye/Marksman type) for top level events, then the equation changes a bit. That's a whole other quagmire for another thread.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,738 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
I'm not sure Feldberg agrees. Didn't he say something a few years ago about basket standards?
I like Feldberg but as far as that's concerned he can wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which fills first.

Just in case anyone has forgotten the raw costs of switching baskets let's take a look at the GBO which if I am not mistaken was played on 3 different 18 hole courses and we want to switch out all the non standard baskets with standard ones that the pros play. 54 baskets X ~$300/basket = $16,200. That's material costs only for ONE NT tour stop. Doesn't even begin to account for the rather large number of man hours it would take to complete the task.

How much would it cost to switch out just the NT courses to make the pros happy? $100k? Where in the world is that money going to come from?

To me, different baskets on different courses is what makes disc golf great. It's the variety. No two courses are the same and you just have to adjust your game which adds to the challenge. Sure there are courses that have absolute junk baskets but just figure out what works and what doesn't. It's called good course management.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I like Feldberg but as far as that's concerned he can wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which fills first.

Just in case anyone has forgotten the raw costs of switching baskets let's take a look at the GBO which if I am not mistaken was played on 3 different 18 hole courses and we want to switch out all the non standard baskets with standard ones that the pros play. 54 baskets X ~$300/basket = $16,200. That's material costs only for ONE NT tour stop. Doesn't even begin to account for the rather large number of man hours it would take to complete the task.

How much would it cost to switch out just the NT courses to make the pros happy? $100k? Where in the world is that money going to come from?

To me, different baskets on different courses is what makes disc golf great. It's the variety. No two courses are the same and you just have to adjust your game which adds to the challenge. Sure there are courses that have absolute junk baskets but just figure out what works and what doesn't. It's called good course management.
If there was ever a decision to standardize the NT targets to one particular model, I think rather than force all NT/Major locations to swap their existing targets to the standard model, there would have to be a designated set (or multiple sets) of these standard targets that could be trucked from NT venue to NT venue. That way, they could temporarily replace the permanent targets with the NT ones for the event without forcing every NT venue to spend thousands of dollars they may not have to refit their courses.

Without that, I can't see the standardization ever happening.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,432 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not sure if anyone agrees---I did, after all, characterize my statement as a "lonely and heretical view".

Then again, I'm a bad player capable of missing the entire basket from 20 feet. When you do that, they're all the same.