Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-04-2017, 03:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts
Default How to Tell Fuzion vs. BioFuzion in Off-Stamped Discs?

Applies to all Trilogy companies I suppose. When searching through used bins of discs and you encounter tourney stamps or wiped stamps or whatever, and it's obviously not Lucid/Opto/VIP, is there any way to tell if you have the Bio or Fuzion equivalent plastic?

Is Bio usually a bit more transparent? However I do have an old Trilogy Challenge Claymore that is Recycled Goldline, so Bio equiv., and it is 100% opaque. Is one of the plastics more swirly typically? Is it a crapshoot if the stamp doesn't say?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2017, 05:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

I don't think I've really seen bio that was not opaque. Also, the bio fuzion seem to be hard to describe colors, since they are refrained of multiple other discs (colors).

I'd say normal fuzion or gold line is more pearlescent and swirly for sure with sparkles and metallic flakes. If it's a wiped Stamp you can tell by the circle "recycle" ghost stamp.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts

The only thing that I could say is a bit of a tip: hold it up to the light and it there are some metallic flecks in it, but not near enough to be a sparkle opto, you probably have a Bio, especially if it’s opaque to start with.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

I've recently gotten a couple Bio discs that are very nice and indistinguishable from Fuzion to my eye. Since Bio is cheaper and I personally can't tell much difference between the two in performance, I'll probably just stick with buying the Bio in the future unless I find a misprint or used Fuzion disc for cheap, and then just consider that a bonus.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Thanks for the tips. One of the discs in question is slightly able to see through, but has tons of very fine sparkle so it is likely a Fuzion then. Good to have the idea about shine/sparkles for Fuzion. Another is opaque/swirly and a pretty pure grey, rather than the off-grey like grey-blue or grey-purple a lot of Bio's are, so it is also likely Fuzion.

Is there any real difference in beat-in speed between Fuzion and Bio? I know lots of people say Bio beats in kind of fast, but I've actually never compared to normal Fuzion...nearly all of my Trilogy stuff is in the Lucid/Opto/VIP. As far as I'm concerned they feel really similar in hand so it doesn't matter to me much if they in fact fly and beat in similarly. Then this question doesn't really matter if the disc is in the used bin, it is what it is...
Old 11-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 59
Niced 137 Times in 80 Posts

My bio disc are all opaque and some have swirls so I couldn't immediately say a disc was fusion because it was pearly. In addition, I have fusion discs that are solid color without any swirl/pearl. I have found bio to be slightly stiffer than fusion which may account for the fact that they have seasoned quicker than fusion perhaps because they don't have the virgin plastic memory to bend back into place. I've also found bio to have a less slick grip than the typical shiney fusion.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Thanks for the tips. One of the discs in question is slightly able to see through, but has tons of very fine sparkle so it is likely a Fuzion then. Good to have the idea about shine/sparkles for Fuzion. Another is opaque/swirly and a pretty pure grey, rather than the off-grey like grey-blue or grey-purple a lot of Bio's are, so it is also likely Fuzion.

Is there any real difference in beat-in speed between Fuzion and Bio? I know lots of people say Bio beats in kind of fast, but I've actually never compared to normal Fuzion...nearly all of my Trilogy stuff is in the Lucid/Opto/VIP. As far as I'm concerned they feel really similar in hand so it doesn't matter to me much if they in fact fly and beat in similarly. Then this question doesn't really matter if the disc is in the used bin, it is what it is...

I've only owned a handful, but every speed 9 or higher Trilogy disc I've thrown has beaten in pretty quickly- lucid, fuzion, bio... Didn't matter.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,310 Times in 2,283 Posts

edit

Old 11-05-2017, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
I've only owned a handful, but every speed 9 or higher Trilogy disc I've thrown has beaten in pretty quickly- lucid, fuzion, bio... Didn't matter.
This is true. I feel like Lucid doesn't look as beat in or doesn't get little gouges around the rim like the other plastics as easily, but the flight definitely changes in the first month for me in most of the discs I have used.

Looks like there are generalities like with the sparkles and stuff, but with opaque discs it can be kind of tricky in some colors. I looked at infinite discs and they have pictures of both Fuzion and Bio in swirly pure grey, so who knows. But there are definitely Bio's in off-grey colors as well.

I guess since the plastics can look nearly identical, they feel nearly identical, and they both beat in faster than Star...if they are in the used bin and I don't know the difference then it doesn't really matter because price is going to be the same.