Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-21-2018, 05:53 AM
Par Member

Niced 23 Times in 13 Posts

Soft Magnet <- first putter, one of my first three discs
Dx Aviar <- Innova discs were more available, switched to these
Omega SuperSoft <- found out that everybody in Finland was using these. I had to try them but found them too soft and floppy
Dx Aviar
Sinus SP <- Lat64 got into business. I had to try some new plastic. But they had not enough glide, too stable for putting
Dx Aviar
Kc Aviar <- wanted more durable plastic for my putter (Grid aviars were pretty much DX at this point). KC's were a bit too stable for putting
300 Pa4 <- Gave Prodigy a chance, Pa4 was ok for upshots but not for putting
350 Pa3 <- I like the stiffness and grip of the plastic but baskets ate 350 for breakfast
P-P2 <- I've been using these for years now
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2018, 08:11 AM
Par Member

Niced 28 Times in 24 Posts

First real putter was DGA Gumpput back in 80'. After that it was Soft Magnet and now first run JOKERi which is quite soft.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 139 Times in 89 Posts

Started playing back in 2000. Didn't settle on the wizard till about 4 years ago.

I tried almost every putter on the market up to that point, and during that time hated the wizard. The longest love affair I had with any putt was about a year- year and a half, with the Omega SS.

One day it did happen though. Buddy gave me yet another wizard. Played a round with it. Form had gotten so much better that a light magically switched on. Never looked back since.

Also, another great piece of advice I got when I was still figuring out my putting game, "always try to at least hit metal." Got me in the habit of try to use the whole target, and be so narrow on my focal point.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,115 Times in 564 Posts

Been playing for a long while now, and tinkering with my bag lineup has always been a problem.

Challengers went in my bag back in 2007-2008ish, then left when the Judge came out, and I've cycled through some different putters the last 2 seasons (beads weren't comfortable for me anymore) but landed back on the challenger this season. Probably one of the best bag changes I've ever made. Have a lot of confidence throwing and putting Challengers.

My progression of main putting molds was something like this:
Wizard
KC Aviar
Banger GT
Challenger
Judge
(then a whole mess of putters - Swan2, Warden, Shield, Aviar, P2, Hunter)
Challenger

Last edited by VictorB; 12-21-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Very shortly after I started playing again. Started my serious disc golf life with an old 150g chains aviar. Wanted to try something new so I got a pair of soft swan reborn. They were too soft and shallow so I got a wizard. Didn’t like the bead, was at play it again and found a aviar Classic. Shot my hottest putting round with it the next day and bought another 4. I haven’t looked back since.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-21-2018, 10:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 149 Times in 82 Posts

I've been playing now about 5 years. I experimented with a number of different molds, I like firm, hard plastic with just a touch of grip. I prefer a shallow grip with not much bead. I went for 2 years of throwing only a KC-Pro Aviar 175g. I have a basket at home and practice putting alot and just got bored, so I started experimenting again. I now have about three putters that I rotate. I have a Reko K1, an ION Proton, and a Colt XT, all at 175g. I will stick with one for a month or two and then go to another. I know that this may not be the best practice, but I play for fun and I just enjoy mixing it up. Two other putters that I like are the Magic soft and a Voodoo in medium plastic.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 230 Times in 152 Posts

Went from:
-Soft Magnet
-Aviars
-R-pro Rhyno
-SSS Magic
-Now potentially Banger GT's (currently duking it out with the Magic)

I've messed with spin putting, push, and all sorts of stances with putting. I've finally settled on the fact that i like straddle putting the best (Nate Sexton). I'm sure i will somehow still try out more putters even though i shouldn't...!
Old 12-21-2018, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 593 Times in 433 Posts

years of playing and probably 6-7 different putter molds

Niced: (1)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 768 Times in 536 Posts

Ditto on that... lots of discs lots of putters.. It took years to figure out I did well with 170g putters as opposed to max weight.. Wizard, Magic, Omega, Rhyno, Ion, Anode dabbled and changed a lot took probably a solid 15yrs to settle on the Envy, I picked one up loved the feel in my hand so 3yrs so far and no plans to dabble.. Kind of haha

Old 12-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 533 Times in 340 Posts

Started with a starter pack Aviar

Switched to an RPro Dart - terrible circle putter as it turns out, tried it because I thought all I needed was for a putter to go straight.

Started putting with DX Rhynos - love the hand feel, the stability is appropriate for an anny spin putt like I developed, but the glide is too lacking.

Switched to Wizards, the glide felt nice after Rhynos, and similar stability in the circle.

Tried a judge from a stand set up next to hole 1 at home course, fell in love with a straight finish and shallow feel.

Started to learn a push putt in earnest, wondered if a deep dish putter would do me better.

Tried a Dagger on an indoor basket in a shop, was amazed.

I've been putting Daggers ever since and took what I learned from straight up push putting, took (hopefully) the most beneficial parts, melded them with elbow and wrist movement, and now have a more serviceable spush putt than ever. I also figured out a modified fan grip for putting like Ricky, works wonders (in theory). I'm still a terrible putter, but I miss less gimmies than I used to and at least draw metal from further out more often.

This all has taken around 5 years.