Old 10-11-2019, 04:23 PM

Niced 40 Times in 15 Posts

I believe the primary motivation for buying / trying new equipment in any sport is that it's fun. Those first throws have an extra level of excitement, because you really don't know what's going to happen. It keeps things fresh and brings back a little chunk of that feeling of discovery you got when you first picked up the sport.

I think the newness factor itself is also the reason why trying new discs often legitimately improves your game / breaks you through a plateau. It's not that the new discs necessarily give you anything that you couldn't have gotten from your old discs, but the process of trying a disc without an ingrained thought of how a disc flies is really eye-opening.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 223 Times in 171 Posts

I think the main factors in what molds you throw are:

1) are you able to cover the basic range of stabilities?
2) does it feel good in your hand?

#1 is pretty easy to fulfill. You can order discs that will definitely meet these criteria based on flight charts/user feedback. #2 you can end up chasing for a little while. You can throw a DDx or a Trespass and they can cover the same general stability range, but they are going to feel different in the hand. It's not unreasonable to buy a bunch of molds... or preferably have a store where you can feel up a bunch of molds. The ones that "connect" with you will be the ones that work best. Confidence is everything. I need to go buy some Mysteres....
Old 10-13-2019, 12:42 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 411 Times in 144 Posts

For most of us rec players, disc golf isn’t just a game that we try to play well, it’s a hobby that borders on a lifestyle. Part of the fun of that is buying and throwing plastic, whether it’s the newest hotness or just a sweet new run of an old classic mold. I’ve noticed that even the diehard mold minimalists can’t resist another Buzzz or Roc if it’s just the right color, cool stamp, flattop, whatever it is floats their boat.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 430 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
My dad is a low handicap player (like high 70s/low 80s) so he got me into the First Tee program as a kid. Really great program and I got lessons from the course pro (and I think it was all free?). I really enjoyed golf and I've still got an old set of clubs from my dad, but like puck'n'disc said, it's just too dang expensive. I can afford playing if I wanted to prioritize it, but when disc golf is more fun, cheaper, and takes less time the choice is easy for me. There's also that element of "the good ole boys club" pretentious sort of thinking in golf that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I still like going to the range on the rare occasion just for fun. A course near me does a "cosmic driving range" at night which sounds like it could be a blast.
I'm pretty similar to you. My dad is also a really solid golfer (high 70's/low 80s) and at this point the only time I play golf is to spend time with him. I much prefer disc golf for some of the main reasons you stated, primarily time (I've got young kids of my own so can't justify 5 hour rounds of golf) and cost (again, young kids).

I do miss the culture of golf when compared to disc golf though. What you call "the good ole boys club" I see as golfers actually having common decency. I get awfully sick of the drunk/high/general a-holes that frequent disc golf courses. Just yesterday for example, I drove by the local course and saw a group of seven dudes slowly rollin' up the fairway on Hole 4 in a cloud of smoke. They had a series of smaller groups waiting on them on Holes 1-3, plus three more groups waiting to tee off on Hole 1. I turned around and went home rather than deal with that nonsense. And that's the sort of thing I never saw happen on a regular golf course, because they'd get kicked off if they tried. But I see it pretty regularly in disc golf. Not saying there aren't bad apples in golf as well (there are dicks among any population group) but it's way more common among disc golfers.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2019, 05:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,115 Times in 564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I’ve noticed that even the diehard mold minimalists can’t resist another Buzzz or Roc if it’s just the right color, cool stamp, flattop, whatever it is floats their boat.
That's also me! If I find some nice looking discs that are staples in my bag, I'll pick them up. I didn't need the opaque Z predators with the old X stamp on it, but I had to get them anyway because they are cool

Old 10-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 223 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I'm pretty similar to you. My dad is also a really solid golfer (high 70's/low 80s) and at this point the only time I play golf is to spend time with him. I much prefer disc golf for some of the main reasons you stated, primarily time (I've got young kids of my own so can't justify 5 hour rounds of golf) and cost (again, young kids).

I do miss the culture of golf when compared to disc golf though. What you call "the good ole boys club" I see as golfers actually having common decency. I get awfully sick of the drunk/high/general a-holes that frequent disc golf courses. Just yesterday for example, I drove by the local course and saw a group of seven dudes slowly rollin' up the fairway on Hole 4 in a cloud of smoke. They had a series of smaller groups waiting on them on Holes 1-3, plus three more groups waiting to tee off on Hole 1. I turned around and went home rather than deal with that nonsense. And that's the sort of thing I never saw happen on a regular golf course, because they'd get kicked off if they tried. But I see it pretty regularly in disc golf. Not saying there aren't bad apples in golf as well (there are dicks among any population group) but it's way more common among disc golfers.
That's a good point. I'm not particularly fond of a lot of the disc golf culture either.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 411 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post

Did any of the three groups ask to play through? Never seen a reasonable request to do so denied, especially by a bunch of smokers...usually they’re more than happy to sit and smoke while faster groups play through. The frisbee culture dudes are waaaay better than college frolf bros tanked up on white claw or whatever they’re drinking these days. And they won’t look down on you for playing in ratty jeans and a tshirt like ball golf douches.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 430 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Did any of the three groups ask to play through? Never seen a reasonable request to do so denied, especially by a bunch of smokers...usually they’re more than happy to sit and smoke while faster groups play through. The frisbee culture dudes are waaaay better than college frolf bros tanked up on white claw or whatever they’re drinking these days. And they won’t look down on you for playing in ratty jeans and a tshirt like ball golf douches.
Allowing a few groups to play through doesn't correct the problem, it just mitigates a small amount of the impact. That's the equivalent of a little old lady going 15 mph below the speed limit on a two line highway. Yeah, eventually you will get a chance to pass her, but in the meantime you get a huge line of cars behind her. And BTW, I saw a group of 10 on the course tonight, so it's not like this was a rare thing. Large groups waste everyone else's time. It's a dick move.

Trying to label "college frolf bros" as somehow not part of frisbee culture is a logical fallacy (look up "no true Scotsman"). The people who frequent disc golf courses create the culture, including the bros. And unfortunately our culture has very little respect for other people and public parks. Think about all the other outdoor recreational cultures out there (hikers, fishermen, campers, golfers) and how they treat the land they use compared to how disc golfers treat their parks by dumping cigarette butts and beer cans everywhere. It's sobering when you realize just how much more respectful other outdoor rec enthusiasts are.

And no, I've never been judged by disc golfers for wearing ratty old clothes, but I've gotten plenty of weird looks when I'm wearing my office clothes during a quick round after work. But why would I care? Someone being a "douche" and judging based on what I wear doesn't impact my life whatsoever. Unlike the douches that litter all over courses and play in giant groups. That actually does impact me, so that I care about.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,115 Times in 564 Posts

Right now my primary struggle is with equipment and confidence in that equipment.

Of course, this is a mental struggle, not actually a physical one.

I've putted with Challengers for a long time. They work for me, but in a lot of situations they don't feel "optimal" for what I'd expect the disc to do. Steadys have the flight that I find to be consistent and predictable, and I make a lot more c2 putts with them - the issue is that I find the consistency in my stroke to be off a little bit with a beaded putter. Hand comfort isn't really a problem - but I'm aware that the disc has a bead (because of the time I've put in using challengers)

Steadys have a bit more drop (ie less glide) for my putt which means I can throw with a little more confident firmness. Challengers have more glide, which makes me have to putt softer and with a little more loft than I'm 100% comfortable with.

So here's the quandry - continue using Challengers, where I feel like I'm sort of hitting a ceiling, or change up putters full time, and practice my arse off where I don't notice the bead on the Steady? I feel like either way, I'm working on "min/maxing" my putting game. I think that I can be successful either way, which makes this sort of thing harder to work out in my head. I also think that I can definitely put in a ton of hours practicing with Steadys over the winter where this likely wouldn't be an issue next season - but I can't be 100% sure of that.

This problem is 100% mental, but has 100% to do with physical observations

Last edited by VictorB; 10-30-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 35.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 79 Times in 47 Posts

Biggest difference in equipment is the consistency. Golf clubs and balls pretty much always react the same with the same swing. Discs on the other hand have their characteristics change pretty often. Pick up a new golf club and how it hits will always be how it hits. Pick up a new disc and generally it will not throw the same in 3-6 months. I think is also a reason new players struggle with the game. I play a course with long water carries and I simply can't hold onto drivers long enough to get them beat in to a consistent flight.