Other 11 9.02%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Destroyer - Boss - Nuke - Katana - Other : Bomber Battle Royale

This discussion is about Bombers... Discs that fly in the 375'+ ranges with analysis by guys who can throw that far or farther. Controlled is the key and focus. (or as close as possible with a speed 12/13 disc).

I went through the Katana phase and have gone back to the destroyer.
I tried the boss phase....
Now that i have reached a point where these discs become relevant, i want to make sure that i have the ones that suit me and my throwing style best. Until now, i was using them for the sake of "cheating on distance" and not really worrying about HOW they flew, rather than, "its the only disc i have that goes 300'".

what is the preferred bomber as i am looking for options. I've found that one of my destroyers flies similar and as far as a katana (if i throw it right) and is my preferred disc for most long distance throws. <For whatever reason, in my area it tends to be the choice of the top players i play with and have asked.>
Nuke's ive tried tend to be too overstable and lose distance because of the fade. The Boss seems to be too stiff (maybe i am still too "weak"?) and more like the nuke.

can those who are experienced give me insight as to how they all compare and how they are used (situationally). I am actually thinking about replacing my katana with a boss or another destroyer?

currently i am pushing my Katana and destroyer to 400'+(field), Wraith 350'+, teebird 325-350'... i am just now reaching the points where the speed 12/13 discs are becoming relevant.

*** I am asking advice from the big arms please.
Destroyer vs. Katana
destroyer vs. Boss
Destroyer vs Nuke
Destoyer vs. Destroyer
Destroyer vs. Other?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

love my wraiths. surges are really close to as good. since we are talking innova i'll stick with just the wraith. it holds a straight line until the last about 20' for me. sometimes i get a little turn about 200' out but it always lulls back into submission. i can get it out around 400' maybe 425' on a really good rip. i've thrown destroyers and i will say i think they are better in a headwind. perhaps this is because i can't get it to spin as fast because the rim is just a little uncomfortable to me. my wraith is just far more controllable and consistent.

i was throwing katanas for a little while, but the rim is huge and awkward (and i have big hands). they get great distance without much power, but require a lot of control that i don't necessarily have. great for wide open holes but not so great for tight shots. but, if you need a 400' turnover driver it's you guy. but go with the pro, it's far more turnable

the boss is the most predictable disc i think i own. it's reliable in the wind which is why i carry it. i don't get as much distance with it as my wraiths, but like before, i think it's a comfort issue. i like that i can put it out over water and i don't have to worry about it not coming back. it will every time. i don't think i really have the arm for it, but it works really well for what i ask it to do.

never thrown a teerex or a nuke. i play with a guy that loves his teerexs. he can really bomb them. i have no other info really. i've never thrown it myself.....hope some of this helps. the rest of the guys on here will be able to give you much more useful info than i probably can. my biggest thing i can say is if you can throw destroyers far and consistent, don't mess with a good thing.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 104
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

This is such a hard question to answer because of the three destroyers I throw none of them are just alike. Katanas have a ton of variety. Bosses might be a bit more consistent, maybe. So are you comparing a light but stable star destroyer, a flippy pro one, or what? I guess you are asking for generalities but they are kind of hard to come because the same guy can throw two different destroyers with two very different results.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Truly like my ESP Forces for Golf shots. They seem to do exactly what I want and with a little bit of hyzer and a good pull can get them farther than my surges or nukes.
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdabbs View Post
This is such a hard question to answer because of the three destroyers I throw none of them are just alike. Katanas have a ton of variety. Bosses might be a bit more consistent, maybe. So are you comparing a light but stable star destroyer, a flippy pro one, or what? I guess you are asking for generalities but they are kind of hard to come because the same guy can throw two different destroyers with two very different results.
good point.
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Out of the list I like the Destroyer the best. Now, not all Detroyers are created equal. I have a beat in Star that I really like, that seems comparable to a new Pro. New Stars are overstable, IMO, at least for me at 375-400. I'm also diggin the new Hurricane, not on the list, but flies similar to a new Pro Destroyer, same 2.2cm rim. A beat in Pro makes for a nice hyzer flip disc or for long turnover drives.

I'm not comfortable with the 2.5cm rim drivers, meaning I can't get a good rip on them.

Ironically, I have better control and success with Destroyers than I do Wraiths. I was very inconsistent with Wraiths, not sure why, but turning them over or not getting the right snap, or hyzering out too early. Same with TeeRexs, had one very stable, another that turned over all the time.

Two discs not mentioned are the Force, which I use as my stable/overstable alternative (still not as extreme as a new Star Destroyer) and the Surge, which I preferred to Wraiths in the speed 11 slot.

I expect the Force/Hurricane combo to push Destroyers out of my bag soon.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i probably like my surges more than my wraiths as well. especially my flx, i can really rip it. but i don't see a very big difference in the two other than consistency of the flight out of the box. wraiths are way different every time i get a new one.

Last edited by douglat2; 09-16-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Destroyer is the ultimate in all around distance driver for me. I can get freak rips with the other discs, but I don't have them in my bag.

For reference of my arm: I throw E* for no/slight wind 430'-450', 175 Star Destroyer for bigger winds. My pro isn't beat in enough to be less stable than my E*.

Katana - Pro Katanas are useless (unless good tailwind), Star Katanas are better, but still too flippy.
Boss - At my power level, the Boss is just a little overstable for me, I can get it 400-410 with the occasional bomb but I have consistently longer throws with the Destroyer.
Nuke - See Katana, the Nuke is better but still too touchy for me, requires a wide open space so it can work side to side.

Destroyers are great all around, you can cover all the stability ranges with one mold (Beat Pro, E*, Star, Starlight) and they are great into any wind.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 36
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Destroyer rules my bag. I carry a Star and 2 Pro Destroyers. I have found that I can throw a Boss further, but with less control. Distance without control is virtually useless. I also carry an Xcal for more stability and a Wraith for long anny shots that hold. For reference, I can max out around 500' and average around 460' for golf shots with Destroyers.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 72
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

As the rim gets larger, they get less predictable from disc to disc. It's hard even for discraft to get them all to throw the same. I have one force that is the most overstable disc I've ever thrown, the other is a first run force (both esp) that is quite a bet less overstable. I never use it for distance anyway, it's way too overstable, I prefer echo star destroyers or pro destroyers over any other distance driver. They go farther, and are predictable in low and heavy winds. Also much easier to grip.