Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 231
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 32 Times in 6 Posts
Default Movement to mark courses/fix directions

I am putting a call out to everyone who has a local course this is poorly marked, or has bad directions written to find it on here or on www.pdga.com. I'm sure anyone who read my blog on www.discgolfersr.us knows the trouble I go through daily trying to find and navigate courses.
I think there are a lot of little things that can be done to make it so much easier for everyone to do that, and everyone who plays disc golf can help real easily.

1). Look up your local course on here and on pdga.com, check the directions. Imagine you are coming from another state, and have never been there before. Write new directions that can be followed from an Interstate preferably, using proper street names (12th st is NOT the same as E. 12th Ave to Tom Tom). Use abbreviations like Mi for miles, St for street, etc to save room in the printed directory. If everyone responsible enough just did that, it'd save so many people so much hassle. I see many courses that are 20+ years old that don't even have good directions, meaning no one has bothered to fix them, even after having trouble finding it themselves. You can submit changes to pdga.com, they review it and edit it.

2). Mark your home course better. If the sign is broken, as it is way too often, but there's still a pole or an blank metal square, take out a Sharpie and write the hole # neatly on it. I personally don't care how it looks, or see why anyone would, if it's there to help people. The number plate/chastity belt has plenty of room to write on too.

3). Face baskets the right way. What good is it if the #4 on the number plate is facing exact opposite of the tee? I have to walk up and past the hole then turn around to make sure I am throwing at the right basket.

I always sound raving mad when I write these things, but imagine literally wasting days of time, literally wasting TANKS of gas, trying to find and navigate courses all year. It's depressing sometimes, it gives your home course a bad review too.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO DOES ANYTHING TO HELP!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 257
Niced 890 Times in 293 Posts

I've looked up every course on here manually and updated the latitude/longitude (that was fun!). 99% of them will get you to the park in question, hopefully to the lot closest to the first tee. I'm not sure if Tom Tom allows you to input lat/lon but if so, you might try that.

On my trips I'll use the lat/lon and then if my GPS gets confused I'll fall back to the written directions.

On a related note for those that take the initiative to update directions, there is no need to be terse when entering them on DGCR. I don't plan on creating a printed directory so the more detail you can include, the better.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Birdie Member

Yes it helps a lot. But it doesn't for many people, especially beginners and inexperienced travelers, those who only know of the pdga or have the book only.

I bet people would be surprised when they read their home course's info there.
The other day, one course was listed as having grass tees and rubber home-made baskets. It has Mach-5's and cement tees, from the spring. No one ever went to pdga.com or here to change that information.

Other things to remember when writing directions:
*Turn right at the 3rd light doesn't help as much as turn right on E Riverview St.
*Lights, stop signs, businesses as landmarks change, and often.
*When told to turn right at 3rd stop sign, and then go 10 miles, I am not confident I am on the right street because of that and sometimes am not, driving endlessly in the wrong direction.
*Having an intersection near the park helps those with GPS plug something in to find.
*If the 1st tee is not obvious, then that info. is needed. Today at McClure, the 1st tee was hidden behind a tree, between two buildings, had no number on the sign, and wasn't visible from the parking lot. It also didn't say how to find it in the guide.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

No doubt.. those directions on the PDGA site are terrible. They all sound like they were written by a 12 year old girl.

Get off the highway and turn right at the white house. Drive 6 miles (actually 600 yards) and then turn left at the big tree.

I can't tell you how many times I have gotten lost looking for courses. It was way worse before the internet was so popular. When we just had that printed course directory it was brutal.

I've updated the lat/long location on a couple courses to the parking lot. If I see some directions that are all jacked up I'll go in and fix them.

What would be even better is if the local clubs would mark the courses. There's nothing that frustrates me more than wandering around aimlessly looking for the next hole.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.5
Courses Played: 411
Niced 146 Times in 71 Posts

Course pros and local clubs need to remember the words of Harold Duvall-- "Frustration foils fun". If you're frustrated just getting to the course your fun quotient is starting in deficit before you even start. The same applies to finding baskets and navigating the course. I've driven all over NC and neighboring states playing new courses and I feel your pain.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 188
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have an issue with this, and that is that I don't have any power with the local disc golf club. In fact, my suggestions fall of deaf ears. I promise you two things about my home course, its poorly marked, and the driections are not what a pizza man would do. What should I do?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.5
Courses Played: 411
Niced 146 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGtourist View Post
I have an issue with this, and that is that I don't have any power with the local disc golf club. In fact, my suggestions fall of deaf ears. I promise you two things about my home course, its poorly marked, and the driections are not what a pizza man would do. What should I do?
1) Update the directions on the PDGA course directory and DGCR yourself.
2) Can you mark the course yourself somehow? Even laminated signs would help.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 188
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
1) Update the directions on the PDGA course directory and DGCR yourself.
2) Can you mark the course yourself somehow? Even laminated signs would help.
I've been thinking about just having signs made and then just laying them on the local club like, here you go. I'm really unsure if its worth the cost though. My biggest problem is that I don't want to step on people's toes, especially when they act like their toes are stepped on. The baskets are mach5 so it would be hard to just sharpie them, I guess I could make eliminated arrows and put them up with zip ties.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGtourist View Post
I've been thinking about just having signs made and then just laying them on the local club like, here you go. I'm really unsure if its worth the cost though. My biggest problem is that I don't want to step on people's toes, especially when they act like their toes are stepped on. The baskets are mach5 so it would be hard to just sharpie them, I guess I could make eliminated arrows and put them up with zip ties.
Marking them with a sharpie probably isn't a good idea anyway. That doesn't look very nice.

It's definitely a pain in the ass in dealing with a club that you're not an active member in. They get their panties all up in a wad easily. That's for sure. It doesn't matter if the idea you have is the best one in the world.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt1969 View Post
No doubt.. those directions on the PDGA site are terrible. They all sound like they were written by a 12 year old girl.

Get off the highway and turn right at the white house. Drive 6 miles (actually 600 yards) and then turn left at the big tree.

I can't tell you how many times I have gotten lost looking for courses. It was way worse before the internet was so popular. When we just had that printed course directory it was brutal.

I've updated the lat/long location on a couple courses to the parking lot. If I see some directions that are all jacked up I'll go in and fix them.

What would be even better is if the local clubs would mark the courses. There's nothing that frustrates me more than wandering around aimlessly looking for the next hole.
Funny, there was one that used to actually say something like "Turn where the old school house USED to be". Ok, great, because I grew up there right?