Old 12-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 96
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

Sorry about that...it is definitely Number 2 that is being moved.

I walked Lions Club proposed course today....
There is a TON of clearing out that needs to be done, but if all that happens (and it is supposed to) the course is going to be spectacular....top notch difficulty. A ton of really tough shots. I would be surprised if Lions Club doesn't take this thing the distance, because it doesn't seem like they do anything half way. I can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,410 Times in 882 Posts

Did you have a nice hike in the snow?

It does look like it could stack up as a very good course. The spots where it is open has some rolling hills, and the spots where it is relatively flat are heavily wooded. It could add up to some good golf. It's really hard to tell about the shots because of how dense the woods are, but I'm sure it's going to be tough. The two courses should compliment each other very well.

Now we just need to find out if UMR has any land out there by Fraternity Drive and start working them for a course...or am I being greedy?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

It was pretty chilly...were you out there? We saw a few prints in the snow walking between some of the holes and wondered who was out there. As far as mostly wooded courses go, this has the potential of being one of the nicest ones around. It is up to the Lions Club to see how far they take this thing. Visualizing it as best we could (there are over 200 trees and a bazillion branches that are coming out) this thing will test every element of your game.

I agree that it will be an excellent complement to Ber Juan. I could definitely see another 18 going in somewhere at Lions Club in the future. There is still a TON of unused land. No..I defintely don't think you are being too greedy. I say the more the merrier =) Got any connections with the school?

Also, I think moving two and lengthening 3 at Ber Juan will add quite a bit to the course. It would be nice if our first order of business was to mark pro tees out there somehow. I mean all they have are the cheap metal poles to mark the am's....how hard could it be to get them to back up for 9 more?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 75
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

It is a good time to be a disc golfer in Rolla MO. I am so excited about the course out at Lion's Club after walking it with Odysseus the other day. It will be a very technical course that will test out your full repertoire of shots. I am very excited about the prospects...bummed that I can't be there for the Ice Bowl at Ber Juan.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,108 Times in 561 Posts

Good to hear that mid Missouri is getting more courses! As the VP of the CDGC, let me know asap when the 2nd course is completed and I'll try to schedule a road trip to go down and play the 2 courses, possibly during a grand opening weekend or something of the like. Just shoot me a pm here or over at DGR, I normally check both sites frequently.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 34
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default GREAT!!!

Been in TX for a while now man, but lots of family in MO....in Rolla at that. So glad to hear it man. Thanx for the info!!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

They had a work day this past Saturday at Lions Club and the amount of work that got done was phenomenal. Over 100 people out there working. This course is going to be special...they are really spending time on all the small stuff that gets overlooked when a new course goes in. I am told that the grand opening is supposed to be in march sometime.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 46
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus81 View Post
They had a work day this past Saturday at Lions Club and the amount of work that got done was phenomenal. Over 100 people out there working. This course is going to be special...they are really spending time on all the small stuff that gets overlooked when a new course goes in. I am told that the grand opening is supposed to be in march sometime.
i'll definitely have to get in touch with the laker league guys. this sounds like it's gonna be great!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,410 Times in 882 Posts

We got dropped to page two, that will not do!

Lions Club has a lot of work done, but the weather has been terrible so I'm sure they have not been able to do as much as they would have liked. Still hearing March as the "in" date. They have a lot of members so it's not impossible for them to pull that off if we get a break in the weather ever. It looks good so far.

Ber Juan had an "interesting" tweak recently. Hole #2 was moved so the tee is over by # 1's basket and hyzers around the pool. I'm hoping that gets moved. We played a tournament there this weekend and we had at least three drives that I saw go into the pool. That's no good. Add to that the fact that I'm a weenie arm and I can hit the tee for #2 off the tee for #1 with a putter and you have a whole bunch of not good. From what I understand the parks director does not like the tee for #2 by the building because you have to cross the bridge three times. I agree that the flow isn't great, but I'd rather have people backtracking over the bridge as opposed to throwing blind spike hyzers into the swimming pool. It will probably stay as is until we get close to the pool opening, then push will come to shove.

We got to test out some B tee placements this weekend. Teeing #7 off the levee is cool. Other than that I wasn't really blown away by any of the tees. They made the shots longer, but I'm not sure they add a whole lot other than distance. The only other B tee I though added something to the hole was on # 2, but I'd like that whole hole to go away so that doesn't do much for us. # 4 got a lot of attention because it was way at the bottom of the hill, but really it was just longer. That's kinda how I felt about most of them.

Making # 5 shorter seemed to mess with people, I saw people blow drivers 50' past on that shot all day. It was just a little wide-open Roc shot, so people must have had a problem judging the distance on it. While it might seem counter intuitive, adding some shorter tees might allow us better variety. A shorter tee on #9 up the hillside gives that shot a totally different feel. It takes the pond out of play and brings those trees on the hillside and the shule to the left of the basket more in play. That might make for a better variety of shots as opposed to just pushing the tee back and adding another 100' to the hole.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 PM

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

any word on progress of the Lions club course?