Old 02-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Having cameras watch everyone's play does wonders for encouraging "self-policing" calls...
That's the best you can do with my post? Give the dishonest more excuses? HONEST UP Disc Golfers! Learn the rules, play by the rules, help others know the rules.

Granted playing by the rules is a lot slower then playing casually, so there is a proper time for strict rule enforcement: tournaments.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,166 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
That's the best you can do with my post? Give the dishonest more excuses? HONEST UP Disc Golfers! Learn the rules, play by the rules, help others know the rules.
Yep. From discussions with ball golfers who have played competitively, but not on TV, player compliance with the rules was seen to be no better than many other sports even though ball golf likes to make the claim players police themselves better than any sport. That's not say disc golfers should have a free pass, just that ball golfer compliance may only be better when the spotlight is on.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,098 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenV View Post

Granted playing by the rules is a lot slower then playing casually, so there is a proper time for strict rule enforcement: tournaments.
similar to line play in the nfl, there are a plethora of potential violations involved in each tournament round... once you have played several hundred tournaments you will come to realize that some infractions are more debatable than others (foot faults on long fairway shots for example) while others simply cannot be tolerated (score misrepresentation in any form for example). there are definitely times when it ain't worth it to sweat the small stuff... best you can do is play your own game with integrity and anticipate that others will do the same.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 176
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 37 Times in 25 Posts

The division is relevant. Since there is no exam to become a pdga member many Rec players are ignorant of the rules. I bet most of them break the rules without even knowing. I think alerting them of the violation is the right call, either way you would need someone to second your call for it to be official (unless this has changed). Hopefully telling them in a non confrontational way will help all parties and not make the round feel awkward. Those rounds suck! I hate when players b!tch at each other. If you are INT or higher you should be well aware of most, if not all of the rules. Chances are a pretty decent player.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 176
Niced 37 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
similar to line play in the nfl, there are a plethora of potential violations involved in each tournament round... once you have played several hundred tournaments you will come to realize that some infractions are more debatable than others (foot faults on long fairway shots for example) while others simply cannot be tolerated (score misrepresentation in any form for example). there are definitely times when it ain't worth it to sweat the small stuff... best you can do is play your own game with integrity and anticipate that others will do the same.

Well put.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,098 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Yep. From discussions with ball golfers who have played competitively, but not on TV, player compliance with the rules was seen to be no better than many other sports even though ball golf likes to make the claim players police themselves better than any sport. That's not say disc golfers should have a free pass, just that ball golfer compliance may only be better when the spotlight is on.
ball golf below the top levels is the cheating-est game there is... way more akin to caddyshack than to the pga.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 326
Niced 1,263 Times in 643 Posts

If everybody cheats, some think there should be rules on how to cheat.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...684216848.html

I'd rather play by all the rules. If we're going to ignore rules, I'd start with that one that says lowest score wins. Then, I could win every time with only one rules violation.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 40
Niced 361 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
ball golf below the top levels is the cheating-est game there is... way more akin to caddyshack than to the pga.
This was always my experience.
DG is WAYYYY better than BG, at least that's been my experience.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 86
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

It is when I play.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

Only ever had one problem with someone cheating in traditional golf -- my neighbor would go with us pretty much weekly, and he cheated so obviously that it was almost funny -- right up until he told everyone he beat me on the course every week.

It depends on who you play with, in whichever form of golf you're playing. Play with people who are trustworthy, and you have no problem. Play with whoever shows up on the first tee, and it could end up like Caddyshack.

Y'know -- we need a disc golf version of Caddyshack.