Old 01-16-2015, 07:14 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 25 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declarkus View Post
You can break rules without gaining an advantage. You're comparing an objective rule with a subjective opinion.
Nope, I'm talking about both and you're not understanding where I'm making a distinction. I have two separate points:
1. (this is where I'm talking about the actual application of the rule) The example shown is almost impossible to determine the legality, even with video evidence. When a call is too close to make in real time, the benefit of the doubt goes to the player according to the rule book.
2. (this is where I'm giving my own opinion on what needs to be done about it) These edge cases aren't important enough to try to make a rule change about them because they aren't providing the player with an advantage.

Does that help clarify?
Old 01-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 12
Niced 24 Times in 19 Posts

I was just thinking about this because I recently watched some tourney videos with Ulibarri and I definitely thought his putting was suspect. In several instances he appeared to just walk forward while putting, one time while being very close to the edge of the circle. I was surprised no one called him on it, honestly.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 1
Niced 78 Times in 29 Posts

I've tried to replicate Paul's walking putt a number of times to no avail. However, for some sweet footy of a jump putt, check out the 4min15sec mark of this video....

http://youtu.be/2YoCz3H-N3o

Sick helix walk/jump putt from way,way out. BTW, I'm pretty sure this guy is hitting birdie on a 700'+ par 3 with this make.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_clark View Post
Sick helix walk/jump putt from way,way out. .
Flex - a 'helix' is not a disc golf shot.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 184
Niced 47 Times in 39 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Nope, I'm talking about both and you're not understanding where I'm making a distinction.
[...]
Does that help clarify?
I understand the distinction between your subjective view of the rule, and the way the rule is written. You feel the rule is impossible to determine and inconsequential.

I feel that using a controversial technique bordering on illegal only invites the debate, whether on a forum or during competitive play.

I also found it interesting how personal views of Paul influenced people's viewpoint. I guess I'm wrong -- it is a subjective rule.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 471
Niced 689 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Nope, I'm talking about both and you're not understanding where I'm making a distinction. I have two separate points:
1. (this is where I'm talking about the actual application of the rule) The example shown is almost impossible to determine the legality, even with video evidence. When a call is too close to make in real time, the benefit of the doubt goes to the player according to the rule book.
2. (this is where I'm giving my own opinion on what needs to be done about it) These edge cases aren't important enough to try to make a rule change about them because they aren't providing the player with an advantage.

Does that help clarify?
I get the argument on #2, but to me, every inch you get closer to the basket affords you an advantage on any shot.

If he does this 10 times a round, and it helps him once, then he has gained an advantage. Or once every ten rounds, for that matter.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,543 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I get the argument on #2, but to me, every inch you get closer to the basket affords you an advantage on any shot.

If he does this 10 times a round, and it helps him once, then he has gained an advantage. Or once every ten rounds, for that matter.
So I guess the question is whether that 1 in 10 advantage gained within the confines of the rules (and even on the edge of those confines, it is still within the confines) is something worth addressing at all.

It's not a flaw in the rule that something on the edge of legality (and there's no question that it is) is difficult to call in real time. Changing the rule only changes where that edge is to be pushed, and someone will inevitably push it.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,072 Times in 721 Posts

...and what is stopping anyone else from practicing the same technique, if it truly is doing anything beneficial? No different then a dorky putt jump and looks WAY better.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
...and what is stopping anyone else from practicing the same technique, if it truly is doing anything beneficial? No different then a dorky putt jump and looks WAY better.
There is nothing stopping anyone, which to me shows just how mechanically useless his style is. It actually is a lot different from a traditional jump putt. A jump putt translates additional energy into the disc, Uli's does not, or maybe just very little energy. There are lots of jump putters who lead their follow through with the back leg. Wysocki, McCray, and Doss to name 3 off the top of my head. Those guys release much earlier, because thats when the energy generated by their body is translated into the throw.

If you dont believe me try Uli's style sometime. If your a push putter at all the lack of energy imparted will be immediately obvious. Its a little more subtle for spin putters but still noticeable.

The other big difference between Uli's walk and a jump putt is that jump putting is much more obviously legal. Ive never seen a jump putter and gone "hm that might have been a foot fault"