#1  
Old 09-10-2015, 09:26 PM
tampora tampora is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 707
Niced 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default Practice Throws vs. Non-Discs

Quote:
Practice Throw - A throw of more than two meters during a competitive round that does not change the lie. Provisional throws, misplayed throws, and stance violations are not practice throws.

801.06 Practice Throws - A practice throw made during the round shall result in one penalty throw being added to the thrower's score.

Throw - The propulsion of a disc by a player that results in a new lie.

801.02E Discs Used in Play - A player who throws an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the PDGA Competition Manual.
Hypothetically, if I played a game of catch with my cardmates as we waited between holes in a tournament, which items would incur which penalties?

a rock, a baseball, a boomerang, an Aerobie flying ring, an Olympic discus, a round ice cream pail lid, a Whamo 'flying saucer' dated Jan 23rd 1957, a modern non-PDGA approved disc golf disc.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Nick Phoenix's Avatar
Nick Phoenix Nick Phoenix is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Phoenixville. PA
Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Disqualification.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Posts: 14,054
Niced 2,184 Times in 1,366 Posts
Default

Interesting? I've heard of people being stroked for throwing their mini marker.

You could play catch from 1.99 meters away from each other with any disc.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2015, 01:48 AM
JoakimBL JoakimBL is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denmark
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 601
Niced 40 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I would say any object that cannot be mistaken with a legal disc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2015, 10:11 AM
rickles rickles is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bismarck, ND
Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 764
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Interesting? I've heard of people being stroked for throwing their mini marker.

You could play catch from 1.99 meters away from each other with any disc.

For a mini, really? Wowza...i've never really had the itch to do what Tampora mentioned but good to know. My question would be then is that a correct call (stroked for throwing mini), and if not which part of the rules directly address the OP's question.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 AM
rickles rickles is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bismarck, ND
Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 764
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

After all, we're talking about the propulsion of a disc...not a mini or any other object. And the way I read it, only a legal disc can change my lie.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2015, 10:37 AM
krupicka's Avatar
krupicka krupicka is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 67
Posts: 1,213
Niced 200 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickles View Post
For a mini, really? Wowza...i've never really had the itch to do what Tampora mentioned but good to know. My question would be then is that a correct call (stroked for throwing mini), and if not which part of the rules directly address the OP's question.
801.04.C
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2015, 11:14 AM
geoloseth's Avatar
geoloseth geoloseth is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North DFW
Courses Played: 45
Posts: 356
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I'm guessing if the reasoning for using 801.04.C was they threw their mini in a way that distracting another player while that player was in the act of throwing. I can't see someone being stroked or dq'd while tossing a mini waiting for the card in front to clear out. Although I've yet to come across this in a sanctioned event.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 326
Posts: 4,555
Niced 1,265 Times in 645 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampora View Post
Hypothetically, if I played a game of catch with my cardmates as we waited between holes in a tournament, which items would incur which penalties?

a rock, a baseball, a boomerang, an Aerobie flying ring, an Olympic discus, a round ice cream pail lid, a Whamo 'flying saucer' dated Jan 23rd 1957, a modern non-PDGA approved disc golf disc.
It doesn't seem like I should be able to carry around copies of all my legal discs, put a pinhole in them to make them illegal, then use them during a round to test a few lines without some sort of penalty.

At the other end of the spectrum, tossing a handful of grass in the air shouldn't be a practice throw, even if it lands 3m away.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 09-11-2015, 02:42 PM
rickles rickles is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bismarck, ND
Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 764
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
It doesn't seem like I should be able to carry around copies of all my legal discs, put a pinhole in them to make them illegal, then use them during a round to test a few lines without some sort of penalty.

At the other end of the spectrum, tossing a handful of grass in the air shouldn't be a practice throw, even if it lands 3m away.

Understood, but taking cheating out of the scenario (pinhole) what are the intent of the rules?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who here throws black discs? bsheisey Discs 39 05-21-2013 11:10 PM
Who throws 150 class discs? Eco81 Discs 33 12-20-2011 10:24 PM
Rules Question about practice throws Ryan P. Tournaments & Leagues 26 09-04-2011 11:09 AM
Measuring distance on practice throws? jrawk Technique & Strategy 25 12-01-2009 08:58 PM
Right Turn Throws and Discs FiveV Technique & Strategy 35 05-29-2009 04:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.