Old 02-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Went back and watched the video to make sure; I’ve played that course hundreds of times and in tournaments they paint a line, and you can see it flagged in the video, making the opposite side of the culvert OB. So for this instance that’s why the players automatically marked it on the basket side of the culvert.

As for the more general assumption it would be the cards call to come to a conclusion and/or ask for eye witness accounts.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 192
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 182 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11rok View Post
I was watching the first round, front 9 of the "winter warm up" by GK productions yesterday and watched this scenario unfold:

There is an area of out of bounds past the basket, but this area is downhill from the tee and and basket, thus the players cannot see shortly distant to the basket. The oob area is about 10 feet of cement (drainage area) and then transitions back to grass and inbounds.

The drive goes past the basket, down hill, makes contact with the out of bounds, skips in bounds on the back side of the out of bounds area, and then slides back down into our of bounds.

Per my understanding of the rules, with perfect information the disc is taken to the last place it was inbounds, and thus in the above scenario would be on the backside of the outofbounds (so thus the next throw would have to go over oob to get to the basket). However, since I'm guessing the card thought it was more likely that the disc instead went directly oob and never made it to the other side of the oob territory (again, they could not possibly see it), the next throw was taken on the front side of oob, much closer to the basket and able to make a putt.

The card, with the information they knew, most certainly made the correct call. However, if perfect information is known, it was the incorrect call. That information was seen, since it was captured on video.

The rules q&a clearly states video and pictures cannot be used for ruling. However, there is no distinction made about, for example, spectators, other cards, etc citing a rule violation or in the above scenario, correcting the card's decision since they saw the entirety of the play.

Thus the questions: 1) who can cite rules infarctions and/or corrections, and 2) who should do so?

IMHO, since perfect information is variable based on card status, spectators, etc, only the card should be able to comment. However an argument can be made to have a spectator or the videographer point out what indeed happened and allow the card to come to a consensus thereafter.
Which shot on which hole are we talking about?

Old 02-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 726 Times in 333 Posts

This is truly no different than a disc going OB and the group not correctly picking the exact spot it went OB.

Discs have a lot of action after they appear to stop and I would say 99 out of 100 times, the correct drop isn't applied in an out of bounds. This is why the ruling says group decision as opposed to finding the exact spot.

Niced: (1)