Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 136 Times in 57 Posts

I say you should speak up. There really is no point in tourney play if there aren't any rules...plus, like others have said, maybe some of these people might learn something about the game too.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 351
Niced 482 Times in 188 Posts

Just going down the list...

1. players not putting foot behind the mini, standing on top of the mini
2. foot faults during teeing off

These should be pointed out. You're only helping these guys in the long run by doing so.

3. excessive profanity

It happens, but we all have differing standards of what bugs us. Point it out though, because it does bug some people and when said loud enough, its a distraction to people on other cards.

4. calling out wrong score multiple times

This is something we all have to be firm with. That one stroke could be the difference between cashing places. Keep an eye on people's shots and penalties, and call them out if you think they're wrong. I admit its hard to do while taking care of your own game. I'd also advice people playing rec who have a good grasp of the rules to keep a second unofficial scorecard.

5. player card turned in well past the 25 minute limit
6. no penalty for incorrect score that was turned in

These are matters that the TD needs to deal with. Note the 25 minute limit applies starting with the time the last scorecard on the course is turned in. Not necessarily when your scorecard is turned in.

And yes, by pointing the rules out you may turn off a few folks to tournament play, but if the concept of rules bothers those folks so much, well, they shouldn't be playing tournaments.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 87
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0atz View Post
Most of the people that do all of the things you listed...aren't gonna place anyway so I don't care haha.

That may be true. However I feel that that is a major aspect of playing in a tournament, was to follow the rules do to the minor ones. I made a simple mistake once and they called me on it and I readily accepted the penalty. That is part of playing in tournaments, to see how well you do with all the rules enforced.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll give you the same advice I got on a venting about crappy rec players the other day -

Play up a division
Old 02-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 58 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Woodall View Post
I'll give you the same advice I got on a venting about crappy rec players the other day -

Play up a division
I was thinking that too...
Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 77
Niced 24 Times in 9 Posts

That will not ensure rules compliance. You have to call 'em out when they happen.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think giving the infracting players a few warnings on the rules in a nice way would be a start. After that I say start calling them on everything. Make sure they know the rules.

The only exception would be calling out the wrong score multiple times. I would call them out on this everytime. It could be the difference between winning, placing, and getting jacked for a prize completely.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just moved up to int for my last tourney and unfortunately it was worse. In this case however, I believe it was being done intentionally.

IMHO, the best you can do is police when you can, but do it gracefully. Take the high road. More importantly, however(at least for me), is don't let it affect your game! If it rattles you, then you're getting screwed twice...once by the bogus opponent's score, and again by the hit your score takes.

You're not going to catch everything, and you're not going to stop the cheaters or slackers, so just focus on your game and play within the rules to the best of your ability.

Personally I struggle with this a great deal...this kinda stuff gets on my nerves so bad it can really throw me off. My goal is to play more and more tourneys so that I can practice THIS as much as I practice my technique. I believe, at this level, this is going to help my tourney scores as much as working on my driving distance...etc.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 42
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some of the aforementioned issues are why it is no fun and a put off to play certain events. Who wants to play with the ignorant or cheats and be ignored by the TD, if you complain. In the Veterans park Funkytown Flyers ice bowl there was a stinking drunk group in front of us that should not have been allowed to participate. These were advanced player I think. We were one of the last groups to finish because of them. Watching them was painful. One of them was so out of control that people were telling him to quit making loud obnoxious comments while the TD was speaking after the event, not that he stopped. They were drunk at sign up and no one did anything about it. It puts you off coming back.