Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahawk View Post
I've seen some people throw a shot and use the thrown disc as the marker, but instead of leaving it as is, actually flip the disc over, toward the basket. Ultimately, what was the front is now the back, and is basically the same marking position as if laying a mini down along the front edge, is this legal?
No, but it's fairly common in casual play. Either play the lie, or mark it with a mini. A full size disc does not qualify as a mini.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 50
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
No, but it's fairly common in casual play. Either play the lie, or mark it with a mini. A full size disc does not qualify as a mini.
Yeah, I see it a lot in casual play. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhyzer View Post
I don't know why the 2 meter rule was abolished. Did it cost a pro some $$ because of they're unlikely luck. Maybe we should say if you throw it in a lake it shouldn't be OB either. These are obstacle's maybe we should put courses in big old fields like the Anderson-Dean Community Park in Harrodsburg, Ky. or Centennial Park in Wilmore, Ky. (in between these 2 courses there might be 6 trees <27 holes> within the course). Bring back the 2 meter rule and call it the 6' 2" rule.

another rule I don't understand is the way we use the metric system within our sport. America has the most DG courses and America doesn't use the metric system. How many times do you have to a newbie of how many feet a putt is instead of using meters or how far you have to be behind your disc when you throw. I never hear anyone using the metric system even when explaining the rules at some of the tournaments that I go to. This is a rule we need to get rid of instead of the 6'2" rule
The two meter rule is still there, TDs have the option to exclude it in the special rules for tournaments. Everytime I have seen it come up the two meter rule is always enforced.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahawk View Post
I've seen some people throw a shot and use the thrown disc as the marker, but instead of leaving it as is, actually flip the disc over, toward the basket. Ultimately, what was the front is now the back, and is basically the same marking position as if laying a mini down along the front edge, is this legal?
I have seen one guy try this in a tournament. If he were even remotely close to winning I probably would have called him on it. As it was he was near the bottom and it was clear that he was not the usual tournament player. I could tell even though it was my first tournament.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 42.1
Courses Played: 77
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

call me casual. i guess i need to tighten up.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 148
Niced 1,328 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Two meter rule bad: You have a fairway with a handful of trees. You hit one and the disc happens to stay stuck two meters up. It's a double penalty. You already hit the (censored) tree so your drive is already short. Now you also get penalized becasue by pure chance the disc got hung up in the tree. It's unfairly punitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
Everyone plays by the same rules as far as 2 meters are concerned so I do not think that it is unfairly punitive. A bummer yes, but not unfairly punitive.
How about arbitrarily punitive. Say you and your buddy are playing a 300' moderately wooded hole. Your buddy tees and hits a tree up in the branches about 80' down the fairway that drops to the ground. Then you tee and hit the same exact tree in the same exact spot...and the disc sticks. Did your shot really suck a penalty stroke more than your buddies? You both hit the tree. It was just arbitrary dumb luck that your shot is still up in the tree. Say it's the last hole and you guys are tied. Should arbitrary bad luck decide who wins a (supposed) game of skill? If you throw the same shot at that tree 100 times TRYING to get it to stick you would probably fail. There is no skill involved in your disc sticking or not once it hit a tree. The penalty is the distance you are not going to get on your drive becasue you hit the (censored) tree. An additional stroke penalty for something that has nothing to do with skill to me is arbitrarily and unfairly punitive.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 46
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERicJ View Post
Correct. By using the thrown disc as the marker you gain more distance away from the basket and obstacle. But you must still technically have your supporting point on the line of play which means through the center of the disc. So just because you're using a wider marker doesn't buy you any additional latitude in the "horizontal" direction.
But you only have to have one point of contact on the line, and that has to be the furthest point of contact right? So I can keep one foot on the line behind the tree and stretch out either way with my other foot, and as long as it doesn't cross the line of contact created by the marker foot I'm cool, correct?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have heard many players say... "it doesn't matter, it is casual" or, some locals with a thick Cajun accent will say...

dat dun madder.

Whew.

Principles are always important, folks... regardless of how stoned you get.
roflmao.

Sorry.

0.o
Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milow369 View Post
he took the mini out, started it at the top of the disc then moved the mini counter clockwise around the disc
This is what I call "Mickey mousing" your lie.

Last edited by Dillon_Gourley; 05-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 137
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

I only play casual and I don't even carry a mini. I usually mark my lie with my bag. same for most guys I play with.