Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 707 Times in 309 Posts

I was surprised to see that there is a driver called the Journey. The also I guess have rebooted the Diablo and Ninja names with new discs, and there is a disc called the Siren. I guess those would be fun to know more about.

I was thinking about my experiences throwing Gateway. Initially my problem was that there would be discs like the blood red Elements or the baby blue Illusions that you couldn't replace. Thee were never another run like them, so once you lost them you were done. The inconsistency from run to run was the big issue.

Now it's more of an availability thing. I threw Evolution Proline Apache's for a bit, but after a little while I couldn't find them anymore. I threw Assassins for a bit and then had the same problem. In both cases, when I couldn't find them there were Valks. Good old Valks, there are everywhere. I just went back to throwing Valks. I threw the Slayer for a bit, I had some S Slayers that were really stiff and hard and I liked them alot. When I needed to replace them, I couldn't find any. So I had beat in some Pro Destroyers and just went with that. Good old Destroyers, they are everywhere.

It's probably the reality of the small business. They can't afford to run a bunch of stock to sit around, so sometimes the stock gets low and the discs are hard to find. If I was more attached to the discs or the idea of throwing Gateway I'd work around it, but for drivers I'm not. That main driver slot in my bag? That's that sorta neutral/understable speed 9/10 disc. There are like a million serviceable discs someone of my skill level can put in that slot. I'm just not going to dig under rocks looking for one certain kind when I can find the 999,999 others on the shelf.

Now putters? I'm always digging under rocks looking for stiff Warlocks...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2017, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,413 Times in 663 Posts

About the only driver I spent any time with was the Sabre. I liked it, but again, I can find Leos/TBs easier.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:35 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 707 Times in 309 Posts

Funny Story: I actually knew Dave back when he started making discs. GDS started out as a wholesaler and the shop I ran was one of his accounts for a little while. We were also around promoting events in the same St. Louis scene so we had to deal with each other to a certain extent. Anyway, he started making bags. The GDS bags were the first ones designed for disc golf with an internal frame and they were really popular in the late 90's. He saw the light from that experience and realized the money was in manufacturing, so he added discs. The first disc was the Sabre. He was showing me a prototype and said something like "I wanted to make a putter, but everyone I talked to said they sold 10 drivers for every putter so we are starting with drivers." At the time I agreed with him becasue I sold 10 drivers for every putter. In retrospect, it's a comment that makes me laugh.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 10
Niced 11 Times in 11 Posts

Just saw the new flight charts, like that they changed the speed and flight scales, hopefully clears up confusion for people on the fence about buying a new disc.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

What is the best Gateway hyzer flip disc today? I liked a lot Hi-Flex Diablo back in a day. It was a good driver. Fast and long with the dimples.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 428 Times in 315 Posts

Sabre for hyzerflip. IMO. But the only Gateway disc I actually hyzerflip is my beat in Prophecy.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 14
Niced 420 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.A.T.u View Post
What is the best Gateway hyzer flip disc today? I liked a lot Hi-Flex Diablo back in a day. It was a good driver. Fast and long with the dimples.
The Samurai is a fun hyzer flip disc. It's kinda like a seasoned Katana. If you hit it right, they will absolutely cruise

Gateways distance drivers aren't big glide discs. Instead, they are amazingly fast for their modest rim sizes.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 428 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
The Samurai is a fun hyzer flip disc. It's kinda like a seasoned Katana. If you hit it right, they will absolutely cruise

Gateways distance drivers aren't big glide discs. Instead, they are amazingly fast for their modest rim sizes.
This is true.