Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What is your standard fake distance?
350'-399' (noodle arm) 43 46.74%
400' (classically conservative) 15 16.30%
401'-425' (just started working on my form) 5 5.43%
426'-450' (starting to see some real results) 10 10.87%
451'-499' (working on crushing the can and elbow chop) 8 8.70%
500'+ (check out my carefully edited youtube vid) 11 11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
The women struggle inside the circle far more than a casual observer would think that they should. When you analyze the men's stats you also see something interesting - for the most part, the biggest arms are also the best putters. Yes, there are a few outliers like Matt Dollar and MJ who are among the top putters despite not having elite level distance, but for the most part, consistently year after year it's Paul, Eagle, Simon, Ricky who have been among the best C1 putters on tour.

That tells me that the same strength and power attributes that it takes to throw really, really far have a lot of crossover into the same attributes that it takes to hit C1 putts. Which also explains why the ladies do struggle at C1 putting despite it being < 33 feet. I even see this play out locally at our putting leagues, in that the bigger arms, for the most part are also the best putters. Again there are a few outliers as always, but exceptions make the rule, that's how a bell curve works.

This can also explain why someone like Paige has failed to hit 4 digits in the ratings department (so far). I would speculate that it is a matter of having a higher % of C1 putts drop. This might be difficult given her physical size and strength. If size/strength is a seperator on the men's side in terms of C1 % hit, obviously it is a detriment on the entire women's side.

The good news for the women is that they all compete against each other so their physical size/strength limitations are all relative and for the most part on equal ground.
I don't think throwing far off a drive and putting well have much to do with each other. Both rely on great technique, but they are very different from each other. The four MPO players you mentioned or just some of the best of the best in the world. There are others who can drive far, but not putt as well as they can drive.

Now as you get farther away C2 and "C3", then I think the physical aspect comes into play to get the disc to the basket.

I think if Paige played a little smarter and played in the MPO division more, her rating should go up. As I understand it, your rating in a given tournament is partially based on who you are playing against. Since she is currently the highest-rated player, she only has the option to play better. The same would apply to Paul McBeth. But everyone else has the option to play better against themselves and their competition.

After watching a good amount of coverage, I am surprised that more FPO players don't putt as well as I think they should. I doubt it's an issue of their physical strength as I would assume that playing that much disc golf and being a pro would give you the opportunity to develop a strong putt. Just look at Paige Pierce... she isn't that "big" of a person but can drive with the best and putt with the best FPO players.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 286 Times in 174 Posts

I parked it next to Buzz Aldrins golf ball last night.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 177 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
...for the most part, the biggest arms are also the best putters. ...

That tells me that the same strength and power attributes that it takes to throw really, really far have a lot of crossover into the same attributes that it takes to hit C1 putts...
Doesn't have to be the strength and power that is the shared factor. Far more likely that it is the dedication and focus to practice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)