Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Travel & Meets > Vacations & Road Trips

Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 1888
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 39 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to danhyzer
Default I'm going southbound baby. from Georgia to Florida and then back to Georgia

I'm calling it my FFF with my FF (in short FFF tour), which stands for Finally Finding Florida tour (with my Friend Fleetwood). As once I get in a round in Florida I will personally accomplish my goal of playing at least one Disc Golf course in every state.

We should be in Florida by the first weekend in February if not sooner.

I have a dream list already (from which I read all about on this site and other DG publications) of which DGc's I want to play. But I want to hear your favorites and least favorites. I also would like to know if theres any restuarants that are hosts for the area DGclubs so we could patronize them before others and it would be cool to know if theres any DG stores that we could stop in a say hello and maybe purchase a disc (in case we loose one of ours along the way). also can anyone recommend noteable sights to see along the way such as the first Hooter's Restuarant in Clearwater, Fl..

We'll be flyin to Atlanta late Jan. and will be working our way towards Florida via Augusta, GA. and then towards Jax, Fl. southbound to the Daytona area then towards Orlando to the other side of the state and back up to Atlanta on the middle of Feb.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.5
Courses Played: 916
Niced 170 Times in 81 Posts

Biggest disc store in the world in Clearwater. Also, I'm jealous of 50 states played. I was after that goal as well; am at 38 (though my list says 37 cause I can't figure out for the life of me; what course I played in Colorodo/may not exist any longer)....but, in recent years; shorter trips have been more common place than country wide ones. I will hit my second state with 100 played in the spring....Wisconsin/and soon, Illinois. This used to be something special too; but now, with a course every two miles; people like Harr (darn it) can pull this one off pretty quickly too. I will be beginning to challenge Iowa and Minnesota in 2010; both of which, I have @35 to 40 played in....
Old 01-10-2010, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.5
Courses Played: 916
Niced 170 Times in 81 Posts

danhyzer; just went and looked at your played list; you are a machine!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you come back North. There are a lot of stops along I-10 west from I-75. Magnolia DGC is in Live Oak and two great courses in Tallahassee (where I am). You can go back North to Valdosta and play freedom park, put in by local pro Toad Reynolds. Let me know and I can tour you around Tallahassee. There is also a 9 hole course on the Florida State University Reservation Lake open for FSU students/employees (I work in maintenance at FSU)
Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

htt://clearwaterdiscgolfstore.com

DON'T SKIP IT

Bring cash, they didn't add taxes when i payed cash.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hit Fore Palms in Jax. Send me a pm if you would like, I'm in the Daytona area would be happy to show you around Tuscawilla( if you hit on a weekend, work gets in the way during the week), and steer you away from the Hollyland course.Reed Canal (only 3-4 miles from Tuscawilla) in Daytona is ok, but you may be better off playing as many rounds as possible at Tuscawilla.There is a nice 9 hole(dual t pads = 18) on your way to Orlando from Daytona that is just a few minutes off I-4 in Debary. In Orlando, stay away from UCF, make sure you hit Turkey Lake and play T-2. You can also hit Barnett park, It is only 15 minutes or so from Turkey lake and both parks have 2 courses. I prefer Turkey Lake over Barnett personally. In Clearwater playing Cliff is a must. Joe G and Wendy run the Clearwater Disc Golf Store and are very nice people to deal with. Make it down to Tocabaga in St. Pete while your in the Tampa/Clearwater area. I can even suggest 1 or 2 courses an hour or so south of Daytona before you head to Orlando if it fits your schedule.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishulebest View Post
Hit Fore Palms in Jax. Send me a pm if you would like, I'm in the Daytona area would be happy to show you around Tuscawilla( if you hit on a weekend, work gets in the way during the week), and steer you away from the Hollyland course.Reed Canal (only 3-4 miles from Tuscawilla) in Daytona is ok, but you may be better off playing as many rounds as possible at Tuscawilla.There is a nice 9 hole(dual t pads = 18) on your way to Orlando from Daytona that is just a few minutes off I-4 in Debary. In Orlando, stay away from UCF, make sure you hit Turkey Lake and play T-2. You can also hit Barnett park, It is only 15 minutes or so from Turkey lake and both parks have 2 courses. I prefer Turkey Lake over Barnett personally. In Clearwater playing Cliff is a must. Joe G and Wendy run the Clearwater Disc Golf Store and are very nice people to deal with. Make it down to Tocabaga in St. Pete while your in the Tampa/Clearwater area. I can even suggest 1 or 2 courses an hour or so south of Daytona before you head to Orlando if it fits your schedule.

Exactly!!!!!! What he said!!!! There is also some gems in Ocala!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,486 Times in 2,120 Posts

I'd recommend Cliff Stephens and both courses at Turkey Lake.

Caution that the park at Turkey Lake closes early---5:00, I think---and they really mean it. Locked gates, surly rangers if you have to beg your way out. Keep in mind when planning your day. But a great place to play. The new course, T2, the Turkeynator, is the more challenging of the two.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.5
Courses Played: 39
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

I notice you already have my local course, East Roswell Park in Roswell, GA, on your wish list. If you make it up here while you're in Atlanta, there's a Mexican restaurant called Monterrey's across Holcomb Bridge Road from the park that regularly kicks in as a tournament sponsor, ponied up for one of the tee pad sponsorships to get concrete in on the black (long) pads, and is our regular spot for informal discussions after our local club meetings.

Redan Park would probably be the other course most locals would recommend in the Atlanta area; it's reasonably close in, and wouldn't be much out of your way as you're heading to Augusta (it's not far off I-20 on the east side of town). There's a few courses in the Athens area, particularly Sandy Creek Park, that would be worth a detour, and if you're willing to go a little farther out of your way, Richard B. Russell State Park has a highly regarded course.

Two temp courses in the Atlanta area are definitely worth your time if you happen to be in town when they're available. Perkerson Park is located inside the city of Atlanta, in a bit of a rough neighborhood, but has become a favorite of locals. There's an Ice Bowl tournament there on 2/7, but not sure how that'd fit into your plans. Also, southwest of Atlanta, Flyboy Aviation is an amazing private course, featuring 27 holes with lots of distance, including a 1600' par 7 that plays down the grass landing strip of an active airport. It's only available during tournaments and by appointment; let us know if you're interested and we can try to hook you up with the owner.

There's also an Ice Bowl at the IDGC in Augusta on 1/30, FWIW.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Gonna step in and recommend Limona DGC in Brandon FL, I think you can get there pretty easy if you are heading towards Clearwater...it is a fun 9 holer with Gateway titan baskets and some of the biggest elevation changes in South FL I have ever seen.