Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 940 Times in 497 Posts

Sorry, boomerang. But a vegan who says he likes barbeque is like someone who says they like Mexican food, if all they've eaten is Taco Bell.

In other words, it's just not the same, my friend. (Not making light of veganism. We could all learn a thing or two from you and Eagle)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Halcón; 01-16-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,088 Times in 518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Sorry, boomerang. But a vegan who says he likes barbeque is like someone who says they like Mexican food, if all they've eaten is Taco Bell.
obviously you have never been able to partake in Vegan Ray barbecue...

Niced: (1)
Old 01-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 137
Niced 274 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
As a Southerner, I get irrationally upset whenever anyone describes BBQing as grilling. That isn’t BBQ, that’s just grilling. BBQ is smoking/slow cooking meat.

I wonder what’s a more contentious question,, what is par or what is BBQ?

I will also add that I’m a staunch Harp thrower. I’ve checked out Zones several times in shops and they just feel funny to me. The Harp has that little wing extension at the bottom, while the Zone just ends. Makes for a different feel.
In MO (not too far North) and according to my own vernacular, BBQing is for burgers, brats, dogs, chicken, etc. - anything I can throw on the gas grill on a weeknight/after work.

I reserve the term grilling for slow cooking. This could include, but is not limited to ribs, pulled pork, beer can chicken, pork chops, etc. Generally (at my house) 'grilling' is reserved for the weekends (because it takes longer) and I want to enjoy the experience more than prepare food.

That said, I will fire up the kamado during the week for home-made pizza, seared steak, tuna steak, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post

In other words, it's just not the same, my friend. (Not making light of veganism. We could all learn a thing or two from you and Eagle)
I second this statement. Furthermore, no carnivore ever goes around proclaiming, "I eat meat, hear me roar!" Not sure why vegans find it so necessary to proclaim their veganism in public spaces. My choice is mine and vegans' choice is theirs. I just don't understand why they (generally) need to talk about it so much... The best example is Eagle, but I've encountered others as well. No offense to any veggie heads, just stating my (unimportant) opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
obviously you have never been able to partake in Vegan Ray barbecue...
Veggies are veggies and meat is meat. They are different for numerous reasons. Just because veggies are heated on a grill doesn't give them the right to masquerade as BBQ...
Old 01-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 12
Niced 664 Times in 344 Posts

BBQ without meat sounds kinda like 'virtual sex' to me.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28.9
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 705 Times in 257 Posts

Portobello mushrooms ain't veggies or meat and are damn good on the grill. Plenty filling as well.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 27
Niced 591 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
In MO (not too far North) and according to my own vernacular, BBQing is for burgers, brats, dogs, chicken, etc. - anything I can throw on the gas grill on a weeknight/after work.

I reserve the term grilling for slow cooking. This could include, but is not limited to ribs, pulled pork, beer can chicken, pork chops, etc. Generally (at my house) 'grilling' is reserved for the weekends (because it takes longer) and I want to enjoy the experience more than prepare food.
You appear to have this completely backwards, at least as far as I know the terms. BBQ is generally low & slow heat (i.e. ribs & brisket), whereas grilling is something you throw on the grill with high heat (like burgers & brats). Funny how words mean different things to different folks.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Portobello mushrooms ain't veggies or meat and are damn good on the grill. Plenty filling as well.
Those shrooms are just fooling you with their umami BS. Don't believe them, you'll be hungry again in 2 hours.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28.9
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 705 Times in 257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Those shrooms are just fooling you with their umami BS. Don't believe them, you'll be hungry again in 2 hours.
I'd much rather be hungry in two hours than covered in meat sweats and fighting hard not to poop my pants.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
fighting hard not to poop my pants.
Oddly, meat doesn't have that effect on me. Tequila maybe but not meat.

Niced: (2)

Old 01-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 679 Times in 382 Posts

I grew up(East Tennesse) with BBQ meaning slow cooked meat basted in a sauce, usually over charcoal or an open flame. The first time I ordered BBQ in Texas and the meat came out dry, I was confused.
I am still not for sure what real BBQ is, but I know what I like.