Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 10:40 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 399 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Thought Thomas did a nice job.

Question on hips and foot placement/angle. So Thomas talked about how he has front foot pointed back to allow for better turn in backswing. Does having rear foot pointed back achieve this/suffice or do both feet need to be turned back? And if so, what is foot position/direction supposed to be at plant? Pointed back/closed, neutral, or slightly forward/targetward?

I feel like I read somewhere that it ought to be based on one's natural stance but I don't recall if that was referring to at plant position.

Also note how Eagle is pointed feet in opposite directions like ballerina in pic below. Just posting to highlight my confusion. Do you point rear foot forward going into plant then turn to neutral, or point back, etc.

Quote:
Cheers

Last edited by sidewinder22; 05-27-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,948 Times in 2,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Question on hips and foot placement/angle. So Thomas talked about how he has front foot pointed back to allow for better turn in backswing. Does having rear foot pointed back achieve this/suffice or do both feet need to be turned back? And if so, what is foot position/direction supposed to be at plant? Pointed back/closed, neutral, or slightly forward/targetward?

I feel like I read somewhere that it ought to be based on one's natural stance but I don't recall if that was referring to at plant position.

Also note how Eagle is pointed feet in opposite directions like ballerina in pic below. Just posting to highlight my confusion. Do you point rear foot forward going into plant then turn to neutral, or point back, etc.
Both feet will appear to turn further back. Rear foot angle is what restricts or opens up the backswing, so it will vary depending on distance. So if rear foot is turned further back and pelvis able to turn further back, then the front foot appears turned further back.

For max distance front foot should be close to 90 to trajectory(not target) and may vary somewhat on your flexibility. Rear foot should be around 135 pointed away from trajectory and staggered back offline from front foot(most people try to stagger the front foot from the back foot which is setting up to throw on wrong leg or rear leg remains in the way of backswing). IMO these allow for the max range of motion and leverage for backhand.

It is much easier/natural for the rear foot to step/swing/kick behind pointed back with the feet/hips open and also creates more ground up rotation in backswing. The rear foot shouldn't spin on the ground, if it does then you are just spinning out of leverage and wasting energy. Same thing as the plant foot, like Thomas mentions.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 399 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Both feet will appear to turn further back. Rear foot angle is what restricts or opens up the backswing, so it will vary depending on distance. So if rear foot is turned further back and pelvis able to turn further back, then the front foot appears turned further back.

For max distance front foot should be close to 90 to trajectory(not target) and may vary somewhat on your flexibility. Rear foot should be around 135 pointed away from trajectory and staggered back offline from front foot(most people try to stagger the front foot from the back foot which is setting up to throw on wrong leg or rear leg remains in the way of backswing). IMO these allow for the max range of motion and leverage for backhand.

It is much easier/natural for the rear foot to step/swing/kick behind pointed back with the feet/hips open and also creates more ground up rotation in backswing. The rear foot shouldn't spin on the ground, if it does then you are just spinning out of leverage and wasting energy. Same thing as the plant foot, like Thomas mentions.

Gotcha, thank you. It almost looks like Eagle plants open or slightly greater than neutral but I guess I don't really know where his trajectory is in that picture. If I naturally stand slightly duck footed, should my front foot be at that same position when planting or just use the 90 degree to trajectory as general rule? I guess I want to make sure I'm not closing off too much thereby restricting the forward swing, if that makes sense.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,948 Times in 2,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Gotcha, thank you. It almost looks like Eagle plants open or slightly greater than neutral but I guess I don't really know where his trajectory is in that picture. If I naturally stand slightly duck footed, should my front foot be at that same position when planting or just use the 90 degree to trajectory as general rule? I guess I want to make sure I'm not closing off too much thereby restricting the forward swing, if that makes sense.
Your flexibility will dictate your angles between the feet and relative to target. The more power you want and speed you bring, the more you will turn both feet/body back.

I think staggering the stance too closed is more of an issue, than turning back too closed.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-28-2020, 01:41 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 590 Times in 234 Posts

This was the biggest take away I had from watching the slow mo on Thomas. He's holding the disc in the power pocket past the "more traditional" hip position that you'll see from Simon or GG. I've never had much luck with this, as it always felt like I was over opening and I'd tend to yank the disc further right than I wanted. The key here is that he's still hand-on-the-outside as his hips are open to the target. My arc would be opening (as is Simon's below)

Where the disc ultimately rips from the grip is now maxed out front of his frame, which certainly creates some crazy fast ejection speeds. He's pushed the extension arc to the limit.

Versus Simon, who tends to have a more traditional hand-on-the-outside position centered around the hips hitting the neutral position (not opening yet) and the arch starts right here.

If I was looking max distance over reproducible, I'd probably look at trying the TG way - but I'm personally enjoying the reproducible and (for me) easier to leverage Simon route. When I get my momentum shifting the right way through a throw, that takes care of the vast majority of my issues.

I put this video up recently addressing the stuff we've been discussing in here:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TG1.jpg (53.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg TG2.jpg (54.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg SL1.jpg (47.6 KB, 135 views)