Old 09-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,493 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
This thread strikes me as a bit of an assumption that we know what's going on in someone else's head, and a bit of the presumption that there is one right way to enjoy disc golf -- "the way I do" -- and something wrong with those who enjoy it differently.

Every watch baseball? Or -- I shudder to mention it -- golf? Not a lot of displays of emotions, good or bad. Doesn't mean there's not a lot of emotion out there.

And, yeah, if I'm playing a course I've played a thousand times, I pretty much know my disc selection and well long before I arrive at a tee or my disc.
That may be a very good assumption. I was a pitcher and to display any emotion was basically to admit weakness or at least a crack in the armor. I play most sports with very little visible emotion as a result.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2020, 09:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,130 Times in 960 Posts

The loud celebrating, profanity yelling, music playing dude bros are the worst part of this beloved little activity. Give me an unexpressive zombie any day.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Niced 158 Times in 70 Posts

I kind of feel the opposite, trying to get rid of my reaction to other shots. I'm not a dog, I don't need to react at every throw, well I think so...
Old 09-04-2020, 11:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 250 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
This thread strikes me as a bit of an assumption that we know what's going on in someone else's head, and a bit of the presumption that there is one right way to enjoy disc golf -- "the way I do" -- and something wrong with those who enjoy it differently.

Every watch baseball? Or -- I shudder to mention it -- golf? Not a lot of displays of emotions, good or bad. Doesn't mean there's not a lot of emotion out there.

And, yeah, if I'm playing a course I've played a thousand times, I pretty much know my disc selection and well long before I arrive at a tee or my disc.
Fair way to look at my comments, but I'm not really trying to shambler-shame. I think maybe it sounds like I care about it more than I do, or that I'm criticizing or making ugly fun of people more than I meant to.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,535 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
The loud celebrating, profanity yelling, music playing dude bros are the worst part of this beloved little activity. Give me an unexpressive zombie any day.
Just curious, do you ever listen to music on the course? I did a lot last year, but I'd turn it almost all the way down if I was trying to pass a group ahead of me. But otherwise it seems fair game. It really doesn't bother me one way or the other if others are doing it. Honest question.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,122 Times in 2,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Fair way to look at my comments, but I'm not really trying to shambler-shame. I think maybe it sounds like I care about it more than I do, or that I'm criticizing or making ugly fun of people more than I meant to.
I wasn't so much criticizing, as pointing out that there are other possibilities. By "this thread", I meant more than the original post -- I include many of the posts that follow.

I play rounds with a wide range of players -- from beginners to pros -- and have been doing so for a quarter century. I've learned that disc golf can be enjoyed in many different ways.

As I and Moose33 digressed a bit, I also have a baseball background -- as a coach -- where controlling emotions, and not displaying them, is part of the game. So if someone parks a drive, or hits a 70' putt, and displays nothing more than a small smile, I figure they're internalizing the joy.

Which isn't to say that's the right way to enjoy disc golf, either. Just that, whether I see someone boisterious or someone subdued, I figure, that's their way to enjoy it.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-05-2020, 08:14 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,604 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Hmm, sure you're not a high school girl?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
I'll never tell, tee hee
That's funny. When we hooked up for a round at Akira's, round at Aita's, NAP told me he thought you played like an adolescent girl.

Guess he thinks you lack his maturity.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-05-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,130 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Just curious, do you ever listen to music on the course? I did a lot last year, but I'd turn it almost all the way down if I was trying to pass a group ahead of me. But otherwise it seems fair game. It really doesn't bother me one way or the other if others are doing it. Honest question.
I love music and listen to it just about everywhere. Except when I'm playing. I prefer nature.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-05-2020, 10:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 100
Niced 844 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
I actually like people walking around with music. It gives the park a bit of a festival feel.

However not all music is appropriate for all locations. A few summers ago this college-aged kid was showing up every day during our lunch rounds. You could hear him from at least three holes away, and the lyrics can't be posted here. I did see one guy leave with his kids after being stuck in front of this guy one day.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:06 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 4 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
I couldn’t listen to music. I’m listening too closely for which tree or sticker bush I’ve thrown into.