Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts
Default Okay folks - distance comes from disc speed; what's yours?

Call it what you will: ejection velocity, release speed, whatever. I just want to state the obvious: distance comes down to speed. We spend time working on form, and the objective, simply stated, is to increase the disc's speed when it leaves our hand. Of course you need to master the angles, reduce grip problems, and eliminate inconsistent "non-smoothness;" and of course different discs act differently... but if you ain't throwing FAST, you ain't throwing far.

How many DGCRers have measured their speed? What about the difference between forehand and backhand? I haven't thrown for a radar gun, but I'd bet my forehand release speed is faster than backhand, simply because it still consistently goes farther.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2016, 01:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,737 Times in 1,701 Posts

DGCRers don't measure when you can calculate using the equation s=d/t in interwebz scale.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
How many DGCRers have measured their speed?
Hard for most of us to measure. If I assume the top MPOs throw at ~85 mph or 500' (my best guess at present) and 1 mph = ~7', than I throw at a blazing 40 mph.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 28
Niced 226 Times in 110 Posts

Try 65-75mph.

Souce: myself.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I threw in the low 60's on Discmania's gun last fall. My arm was very very tired at the time, I'm sure it is higher when fresh, but I have no idea how much higher. I was a like a 420ish feet guy at the time, touching 450 on really good days.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:04 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 15 Times in 10 Posts

I'm directionally challenged. I might be able to hit a soccer field, throwing at the long dimension. All bets are off if you want me to hit the short side.

But if you gave me an expensive radar gun, pretty sure I'd hit it and break it in the first 3 throws.

Years back I played a round of ball golf at Rheinblick. The starters booth was behind and to the right of the first tee, protected by two fences. I hit it. The official came out sputtering auf Deutsch. Apparently this had never happened in the history of the course.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 321 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
Hard for most of us to measure. If I assume the top MPOs throw at ~85 mph or 500' (my best guess at present) and 1 mph = ~7', than I throw at a blazing 40 mph.
I'm betting that the relationship between throwing speed and distance doesn't work quite like this because of the increase in drag at higher speeds. For example, assuming no wind, a throw over level ground and the same mold, a disc thrown at 1 mph probably won't go 7'. A disc thrown at 100 mph probably won't travel 700 feet. Somewhere in the middle will be a disc whose distance traveled is exactly 7' for every 1 mph of release speed.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 134 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Call it what you will: ejection velocity, release speed, whatever. I just want to state the obvious: distance comes down to speed. We spend time working on form, and the objective, simply stated, is to increase the disc's speed when it leaves our hand. Of course you need to master the angles, reduce grip problems, and eliminate inconsistent "non-smoothness;" and of course different discs act differently... but if you ain't throwing FAST, you ain't throwing far.

How many DGCRers have measured their speed? What about the difference between forehand and backhand? I haven't thrown for a radar gun, but I'd bet my forehand release speed is faster than backhand, simply because it still consistently goes farther.
I agree with you IFFFF you're talking "apples to apples", I.E. backhand of one person vs. backhand of another, etc. If you're saying that 'speed is directly related to distance', you could be wrong - as there ARE other factors.

Case in point: My overhand speed was (10+ years ago) in the high-80s and my BH speed a LOT less than that, but due to 1) the flight characteristics of a disc 'flying' vs. 'flying upside down' and 2) the spin on either disc, BHs will yield greater distance than will overhands...for the same 'muzzle velocity'.

Karl
Old 08-23-2016, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I agree with you IFFFF you're talking "apples to apples", I.E. backhand of one person vs. backhand of another, etc. If you're saying that 'speed is directly related to distance', you could be wrong - as there ARE other factors.

Case in point: My overhand speed was (10+ years ago) in the high-80s and my BH speed a LOT less than that, but due to 1) the flight characteristics of a disc 'flying' vs. 'flying upside down' and 2) the spin on either disc, BHs will yield greater distance than will overhands...for the same 'muzzle velocity'.

Karl
I suppose I'm referring to forehand and backhand both. Overhand is another animal, though I'd be interested to see how those speeds look. But with both forehand and backhand, lift/drag factors and release angles seem pretty comparable to me.

What do you think about forehand? I'm guessing you have a good one, simply because you have (or had) a good overhand. My working assumption is that forehand has less spin than backhand, but I'm pretty sure the distance still comes down to release velocity. I always had a decent arm in baseball/football, and I think that's why I still get a consistently higher release speed when I throw forehand. Backhand is still coming along, and I'm sure I'll throw farther one day... just needs some more work.

I guess my point is that there's no "magic trick" to get big distance without having good arm speed. Some guys (I'm thinking some masters, even some touring pros) can make up for slightly lower arm speed since they have smooth, consistent form, and their distance is adequate if not amazing. BUT they still throw pretty fast, and that's how they can consistently get discs 350-400.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,130 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
I'm betting that the relationship between throwing speed and distance doesn't work quite like this because of the increase in drag at higher speeds. For example, assuming no wind, a throw over level ground and the same mold, a disc thrown at 1 mph probably won't go 7'. A disc thrown at 100 mph probably won't travel 700 feet. Somewhere in the middle will be a disc whose distance traveled is exactly 7' for every 1 mph of release speed.
Professor Shmirtz is onto something here...