Old 09-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 105 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
And of course we know that words were exchanged after "Sharpie-gate" at Worlds.
I missed this and I can't find anything about it using search. Can you explain or copy a link?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
I missed this and I can't find anything about it using search. Can you explain or copy a link?
What I call "Sharpie-gate" was the incident where Ricky and another player (name escapes me at the moment) had identical discs next to each other, but they weren't uniquely marked, which the rules state they should be. McBeth made a complaint about it, and he and Wysocki got into a verbal "philosophical discussion" about it...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
What I call "Sharpie-gate" was the incident where Ricky and another player (name escapes me at the moment) had identical discs next to each other, but they weren't uniquely marked, which the rules state they should be. McBeth made a complaint about it, and he and Wysocki got into a verbal "philosophical discussion" about it...
Deven Owens? There was a greater context. Paul found out he had made an OB error earlier and went to the TD and took his strokes. It seemed he was of the mind set that one should be up front about one's errors and he felt that Ricky was pushing back. Purely out of my nether regions though.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 363 Times in 160 Posts

After these recent incidents - Ricky comes across childish and Paul comes across very professional. Glad Paul is holding himself and the rest of the field to such high standards.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 AM
* Ace Member *

If I were to hazard a guess, Ricky may feel, incorrectly IMO, that since he's been the dominant player this year, Paul is trying to nitpick him with the rules. However, Paul has always done this, played by the rules and expected others to. I read a lot from pundits here about calling the rules. Paul is the one Pro who seems to do it conistently. Good on him.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,907 Times in 1,663 Posts

At least on the NT/PT/WT level, I think this string of incidents makes the need for marshals pretty evident.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
However, Paul has always done this, played by the rules and expected others to. I read a lot from pundits here about calling the rules. Paul is the one Pro who seems to do it conistently. Good on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
At least on the NT/PT/WT level, I think this string of incidents makes the need for marshals pretty evident.
Except that Paul didn't really do what he could/should have, which is issued a formal warning to Rick and Devan on the spot. He tried to differ to the course marshal, to not look like a bad guy, and by that time it was to late. If he really wants to play by the rules and hold guys to a high standard he needs to make the calls himself and not ask a marshal to do it for him. Also, we have marshals already, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say streets
Old 09-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 57 Times in 32 Posts

My favorite quote from Ricky recently...

“I’ve always said if I play up to my potential, and he[McBeth] plays up to his potential, I’m gonna win."

He's basically saying, "I'm better than you."
Old 09-01-2016, 09:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
My favorite quote from Ricky recently...

“I’ve always said if I play up to my potential, and he[McBeth] plays up to his potential, I’m gonna win."

He's basically saying, "I'm better than you."
Paul said something similar though, in the LA times interview. To some extent you have to be fairly confident in yourself to play at their level. I can't see either saying, "on his best day, he can beat me.". Note that Paul acknowledged last year that his two biggest competitors were Ricky and Will. But that may be exposure and opportunity. Both seem to be be pretty good peoples.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
Except that Paul didn't really do what he could/should have, which is issued a formal warning to Rick and Devan on the spot. He tried to differ to the course marshal, to not look like a bad guy, and by that time it was to late. If he really wants to play by the rules and hold guys to a high standard he needs to make the calls himself and not ask a marshal to do it for him. Also, we have marshals already, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say streets
So, are you trying to say Paul's a bad guy, and just indirectly hinting at it so as not to be the bad guy. 😀. If perfection is the standard, you're correct. Assuming that Paul referred to a marshall so as not to appear as the bad guy sort of looks like you can read his mind, like what I wrote above. It's semi amusing here but may not be factual.

I hate writing Nazis but in this case it's confusing, it's defer not differ (damn spell checkers). The use of the second made me think he was disagreeing with the marshal, the opposite of the point you were making, I think? Regardless, I apologize for stepping into the world of spelling nazi jerkfaces.