#241  
Old 09-01-2016, 07:38 AM
dashiellx's Avatar
dashiellx dashiellx is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,515
Niced 105 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
And of course we know that words were exchanged after "Sharpie-gate" at Worlds.
I missed this and I can't find anything about it using search. Can you explain or copy a link?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 AM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,082
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
I missed this and I can't find anything about it using search. Can you explain or copy a link?
What I call "Sharpie-gate" was the incident where Ricky and another player (name escapes me at the moment) had identical discs next to each other, but they weren't uniquely marked, which the rules state they should be. McBeth made a complaint about it, and he and Wysocki got into a verbal "philosophical discussion" about it...
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:16 AM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
What I call "Sharpie-gate" was the incident where Ricky and another player (name escapes me at the moment) had identical discs next to each other, but they weren't uniquely marked, which the rules state they should be. McBeth made a complaint about it, and he and Wysocki got into a verbal "philosophical discussion" about it...
Deven Owens? There was a greater context. Paul found out he had made an OB error earlier and went to the TD and took his strokes. It seemed he was of the mind set that one should be up front about one's errors and he felt that Ricky was pushing back. Purely out of my nether regions though.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 AM
DinosaurThunder's Avatar
DinosaurThunder DinosaurThunder is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,353
Niced 363 Times in 160 Posts
Default

After these recent incidents - Ricky comes across childish and Paul comes across very professional. Glad Paul is holding himself and the rest of the field to such high standards.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 AM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

If I were to hazard a guess, Ricky may feel, incorrectly IMO, that since he's been the dominant player this year, Paul is trying to nitpick him with the rules. However, Paul has always done this, played by the rules and expected others to. I read a lot from pundits here about calling the rules. Paul is the one Pro who seems to do it conistently. Good on him.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,057
Niced 3,907 Times in 1,663 Posts
Default

At least on the NT/PT/WT level, I think this string of incidents makes the need for marshals pretty evident.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Pbmercil Pbmercil is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,703
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
However, Paul has always done this, played by the rules and expected others to. I read a lot from pundits here about calling the rules. Paul is the one Pro who seems to do it conistently. Good on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
At least on the NT/PT/WT level, I think this string of incidents makes the need for marshals pretty evident.
Except that Paul didn't really do what he could/should have, which is issued a formal warning to Rick and Devan on the spot. He tried to differ to the course marshal, to not look like a bad guy, and by that time it was to late. If he really wants to play by the rules and hold guys to a high standard he needs to make the calls himself and not ask a marshal to do it for him. Also, we have marshals already, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say streets
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 09-01-2016, 09:14 AM
ScottyLove ScottyLove is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,290
Niced 57 Times in 32 Posts
Default

My favorite quote from Ricky recently...

“I’ve always said if I play up to my potential, and he[McBeth] plays up to his potential, I’m gonna win."

He's basically saying, "I'm better than you."
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 09-01-2016, 09:23 AM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
My favorite quote from Ricky recently...

“I’ve always said if I play up to my potential, and he[McBeth] plays up to his potential, I’m gonna win."

He's basically saying, "I'm better than you."
Paul said something similar though, in the LA times interview. To some extent you have to be fairly confident in yourself to play at their level. I can't see either saying, "on his best day, he can beat me.". Note that Paul acknowledged last year that his two biggest competitors were Ricky and Will. But that may be exposure and opportunity. Both seem to be be pretty good peoples.
Reply With Quote
 

  #250  
Old 09-01-2016, 09:37 AM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
Except that Paul didn't really do what he could/should have, which is issued a formal warning to Rick and Devan on the spot. He tried to differ to the course marshal, to not look like a bad guy, and by that time it was to late. If he really wants to play by the rules and hold guys to a high standard he needs to make the calls himself and not ask a marshal to do it for him. Also, we have marshals already, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say streets
So, are you trying to say Paul's a bad guy, and just indirectly hinting at it so as not to be the bad guy. 😀. If perfection is the standard, you're correct. Assuming that Paul referred to a marshall so as not to appear as the bad guy sort of looks like you can read his mind, like what I wrote above. It's semi amusing here but may not be factual.


I hate writing Nazis but in this case it's confusing, it's defer not differ (damn spell checkers). The use of the second made me think he was disagreeing with the marshal, the opposite of the point you were making, I think? Regardless, I apologize for stepping into the world of spelling nazi jerkfaces.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Wysoki Disc cheese dog General Disc Golf Chat 26 08-22-2016 03:03 PM
Mcbeth in 2012 Atvizory2000 Tournaments & Leagues 3 10-14-2015 02:58 PM
McBeth P2 T Strat Discs 19 02-19-2013 03:19 PM
mcbeth roc akguanja The Marketplace 9 11-04-2012 01:03 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.