Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 245
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
IMHO they SHOULD have a Marshal on each of the top two cards, or at least one dedicated to the top two cards (which should be next to each other in order). People can complain about the fairness, but the most money and prestige are on those top cards, especially in later rounds. I'm surprised the top cards don't have dedicated marshals.

This also shows how the sport has grown. Yes, back in the day, players policing themselves and each other was fine. We also policed ourselves playing casual touch football as kids, but the NFL isn't going to self-police anytime soon. So maybe Disc Golf needs to think about this aspect of their growing pains, as well.
Comparing the NFL with disc golf is kind of absurd. Comparing disc golf with nearly any sport is overestimating the popularity and stature of our game. I don't think it is any more difficult to self police in our game now, than at anytime. Video and social media just makes it infinitely easier to discover errors and endlessly debate them.
Dedicating marshals to top cards or even more is a fine idea, but I am not sure TD's could put together the volunteers to fill those positions.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 106 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
You're can't giveven us a quote that good, and not give the source.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I'm totally with you on this. Part of the issue at Worlds with the disc marking thing was that the marshal was at another card at the time the situation came up, and by the time he got back Devan's disc was marked.

But this is a non issue if Paul just calls the warning the way he is allowed to by the rules. The marshal can get involved then if rick or devan want to appeal, and that's fine. But I don't see how this situation is an "issue"
Old 09-01-2016, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 220 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
But this is a non issue if Paul just calls the warning the way he is allowed to by the rules. The marshal can get involved then if rick or devan want to appeal, and that's fine. But I don't see how this situation is an "issue"
For sure. I had posted before without seeing your prior post, but you are spot on with this. He can call it, and I think you'll see him do it more. It comes down to the perception debate, of if he wants to call it and risk coming off like he's nitpicking, or if he just calls it and lives with it. He's got enough clout to call it without worrying about what outsiders think, IMO, but there will always be the court of public opinion that may differ.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

It sounds like since there were marshals there, he figured they should do things associated with the rules. Apparently not?
Old 09-01-2016, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 820 Times in 491 Posts

Probably just me..but when Paul's game is on, he just looks, throws, etc, like he's on another level. Ricky even when playing better than Paul just looks a bit more tense, uptight, etc. hmm...
Old 09-01-2016, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Probably just me..but when Paul's game is on, he just looks, throws, etc, like he's on another level. Ricky even when playing better than Paul just looks a bit more tense, uptight, etc. hmm...
At the risk of having the Ricky crowd decapitate me, the two have diametrically opposed styles. Paul is a smooth, technique player, Ricky is a power, accuracy player. Paul uses technique to get distance and clean lines, Ricky plays power golf, and has learned accuracy to keep him on course in tight fairways. The one exception is putting where Ricky uses a soft touch shot to lay the disc into the basket.

Ricky's use of a primary power style means that when things go wrong, they can go really wrong. It's why we see him hit more trees close in than Paul does. To make his style work he has to feel it and if anything distracts him from that feel, it can be a problem.

Paul has trouble when he tries to push beyond his learned technique. When he is chasing after, typically Ricky, and begins to move to a power oriented game. Ricky controls his power game, Paul's leaves him often enough OB.

At least that's how it looks to me.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 673 Times in 367 Posts

It may be a style of play thing but still at times I think Rick might benefit from taking a little more time before throwing.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedavenger View Post
It may be a style of play thing but still at times I think Rick might benefit from taking a little more time before throwing.
By my observation, that is a tough call. For me, more time means a better shot, but Ricky seems to do better when he doesn't spend more time setting up. Watch him in the rain where he rushes through everything. He seems to be even better. As I wrote above, I think Ricky needs to feel his shots; to much prep and thinking seperates him from that feel.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 57 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
Except that Paul didn't really do what he could/should have, which is issued a formal warning to Rick and Devan on the spot.
Disagree as there was nothing to warn about. Ricky and Devan both said the discs were marked... just very lightly. If that's true and nobody has said otherwise, there is no warning to issue.

Devan did later say he had an unmarked disc, but it wasn't the one in question.