Old 09-01-2016, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
Disagree as there was nothing to warn about. Ricky and Devan both said the discs were marked... just very lightly. If that's true and nobody has said otherwise, there is no warning to issue.

Devan did later say he had an unmarked disc, but it wasn't the one in question.
Interesting observation. I've not looked at the video, would you say that Paul went to the marshal because there was push back on whether the discs were marked?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 136
Niced 238 Times in 102 Posts

The difference in playing styles may have a lot to do with how they practice.
Ricky has said he will play 4-5 drives all the way to hole-out on each hole when he is practicing. It seems Paul practices holes or shots more so than the overall course itself, once he has an idea of where the throws he already knows how to make will land off the tee.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 15 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedavenger View Post
It may be a style of play thing but still at times I think Rick might benefit from taking a little more time before throwing.
"Rick might benefit..."? This is funny. How much more does the reigning World Champ and 2016 POY need to benefit? Lol.

Obviously Rick plays fast. This came up in recent ITC & Smashboxx podcasts. It's obviously a rhythm thing. And it OBVIOUSLY works for him.

Why would he even think about changing anything in his game now, let alone such a basic element of his style? Of all times? Now that he's improved to the best player in the world, POY & World Champ? That's nuts.

When Rick hits the skids, then it makes sense for him to revamp his style, but now? Nah.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by corin_brown View Post
"Rick might benefit..."? This is funny. How much more does the reigning World Champ and 2016 POY need to benefit? Lol.

Obviously Rick plays fast. This came up in recent ITC & Smashboxx podcasts. It's obviously a rhythm thing. And it OBVIOUSLY works for him.

Why would he even think about changing anything in his game now, let alone such a basic element of his style? Of all times? Now that he's improved to the best player in the world, POY & World Champ? That's nuts.

When Rick hits the skids, then it makes sense for him to revamp his style, but now? Nah.
I'm not sure I'd call him the best player in the world. World Champion for sure, but best player in the world....

And yes, I know, for some winning the Worlds means your the best in the world. I wonder what the measure of best should be? For sure his record over the season makes a statement. As pointed out earlier, I might wait till the full end of the season before making a judgement.

I do agree, as I wrote upstream, Ricky has a feel for his game. He plays fast because that fits the feel thing. Slowing down would probably do more harm than good.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Just so everyone understands my position. Our Worlds does come near the end of the season so you can say a player hones his skill over the season and it plays out there. But it is a one off. You sort of earn your way there, but not through some head to head competition where there is the possibility of elimination. It's a sweet event, but it isn't necessarily the mark of the best player. I give more credence to Ricky's overall winning record than that. But if Ricky or Paul won eight events over a season up through Worlds, and then some young gun came along and kicked both of their bottoms by twenty strokes in the last four events, would I say they were the best in the world? Well, by wins, yes, but I'd say that kid was a better player.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,153 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
Disagree as there was nothing to warn about. Ricky and Devan both said the discs were marked... just very lightly. If that's true and nobody has said otherwise, there is no warning to issue.

Devan did later say he had an unmarked disc, but it wasn't the one in question.
Only problem was... they had an issue trying to identify which of a pair of identical discs belonged to who. There WAS an issue there.

After that, the discs got marked, so a warning would've been just that (a warning) and no further damage done.

But then Ricky started whining about Paul enforcing the rules... and Ricky whined when Paul (and the rest of the card) enforced the rules on Ricky at the BHMO. Seems to be a pattern developing, there...
Old 09-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 77
Niced 20 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corin_brown View Post
Now that he's improved to the best player in the world, POY & World Champ? That's nuts.
I would say #1 ranked player, POY & World Champ. "Best" is far too subjective and nearly impossible to define over such a short period of time. Was he playing the best golf through Worlds? Yes. Has he continued to dominate since? Definitely not.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
But then Ricky started whining about Paul enforcing the rules... and Ricky whined when Paul (and the rest of the card) enforced the rules on Ricky at the BHMO. Seems to be a pattern developing, there...
There is a pattern. Rick is the type of guy to try and work every angle he can. I don't say that as any kind of character judgement, it's not a remotely uncommon attitude in disc golf, particularly among older pros.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Par Member

Niced 169 Times in 60 Posts

In the Smashboxx interview referenced earlier Paul specifically made the point that he doesn't like the fact that the players are responsible for calling warnings and violations. He believes that the players should be allowed to focus on playing golf and he'd like to see the sport have marshals and such to handle that stuff instead.

Due to limits on staff this may not be possible just yet and he probably realizes that but it's the way he'd like to see the sport go.

Actually, I notice a lot of comments from Paul that show he's looking towards the future of the game and how he'd like to see it change and grow. He had a lot of positive things to say about how the world tour is doing things and suggested the NT could do with a little evolution of its own.

As one of the most influential people in the sport I like seeing him willing to speak his mind and try to nudge the sport towards fulfilling its full potential.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,388 Times in 711 Posts

Of course he likes the way the World Tour is going. His sponsor's deeply invested in it.