Old 09-21-2016, 09:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default Augusta, GA to Blowing Rock, NC October 3-14

I am planning to play some courses that I have only played once or twice each plus some all new ones (*=new). Any one who calls any of these lovely courses home or a favorite (especially *) and wants to show some tourists the local lines, reply or PM.

Due to proximity I have put a + next to two course combos I hope to play on the same day.

Besides playing Holston Creek on 10/5 on the way up to N.C. I am flexible on which day to play the others.

Augusta, GA area 10/3–10/4 & 10/13-10/14 *Langley Pond + *Boyd Pond, IDGC, Hippo, Lake O, P.K.

10/5 *Holston Creek, SC

Cabin in Blowing Rock, NC Oct 6 – 11 Highland Hills + Rolling Pines, Ashe, Glen C + *Sawmills, Richmond Hill.

We may have time for more in N.C. Am I missing anything great? I would like to keep the drive around 2 hours at most from Blowing Rock but I could be convinced to go further for something special.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

Sugaree. Fort Hamby instead of Highland Hills.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Eagle Member

Sugaree looks too hard for my wife & I. Me around 900 rated, my wife a bit less. Need to save some energy for a long vacation.

Course Conditions @ Ft. Hamby unplayable. can someone update if that is not the case. I have played Ft Hamby once, it was a bit new and rough. Has it improved or from the conditions update, gotten worse?

Highland Hills is one of my favorites so don't try to talk me out of that I see the conditions have not been updated for H.H. since a bad update in July. Can someone please update that as well.

I have only played Rolling Pines once so I see going back that direction more than once during this trip as we loved the course. I can see doing Rolling Pines + Ft H one day and an encore for R.P. + H.H. another day.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
Sugaree looks too hard for my wife & I. Me around 900 rated, my wife a bit less. Need to save some energy for a long vacation.

Course Conditions @ Ft. Hamby unplayable. can someone update if that is not the case. I have played Ft Hamby once, it was a bit new and rough. Has it improved or from the conditions update, gotten worse?

Highland Hills is one of my favorites so don't try to talk me out of that I see the conditions have not been updated for H.H. since a bad update in July. Can someone please update that as well.

I have only played Rolling Pines once so I see going back that direction more than once during this trip as we loved the course. I can see doing Rolling Pines + Ft H one day and an encore for R.P. + H.H. another day.

Ft Hamby is back open but I can't confirm the current conditions, they got hit with a very windy storm that brought down a bunch of trees.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd be more then happy to show you the ropes on any or all of the courses in the Augusta region.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

^ sent you a P.M.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 91
Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts

Holston Creek can get a little hot and you will have to play all 20 some holes before you get back to the car. ToddL could fill you in on this one. Central SC has a great par 62 course if you haven't played it that's on your way up 85 (just south of Greenville) No plans on stopping and seeing the USDGC?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 65
Niced 592 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbound View Post
Holston Creek can get a little hot and you will have to play all 20 some holes before you get back to the car. ToddL could fill you in on this one. Central SC has a great par 62 course if you haven't played it that's on your way up 85 (just south of Greenville) No plans on stopping and seeing the USDGC?
It may be that the course has changed but I couldn't give Central, SC over par 60. Has it changed Hellbound?

OP, if you want a well manicured, fun, sufficiently challenging, and accesible to all players course in the upstate SC: Sertoma Field Walhalla, SC. Probably out of your way but sometimes I get "home"sick.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Eagle Member

It is tempting to stop by USDGC again but this time I think we will just use the day to play somewhere new.

If Grand Central Station was the other course, yes it is in my wish list.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Eagle Member

Added Sertoma Field Walhalla, SC to the wish list. The wooded holes look very nice on the pix.