Old 05-03-2018, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post

Oh, and one last note about the "boring" course. You are watching the best of the best throw it. It kinda feels like people saying, "Yeah watching Odell Beckham catching 1 handed passes in practice is boring." Because HE makes it look easy. I wonder how some of the people would feel if they watched the 5th or 6th card play that course and didn't get to see the 1st card.
Yeah, only 46/184 MPO players managed to shoot negative. https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/33792

The course is hard. I get it if people don't like watching open golf vs. wooded golf, but it is HARD. If there is a 500' hole with a few trees on the side, and you can only throw 300'...then yeah it's boring and the trees don't come into play and of course you'll likely land in the middle of a fairway every time. But if you're trying to throw at 90% power and fly around or over the trees, it's completely different. You're throwing a challenging shot at full power and giving the disc a lot of opportunity to get off line and be affected by the wind. These holes are built to their skill level, and I think the dangers of that aren't as apparent unless you can throw that far. And throwing that far is certainly a skill, which helps with all shots, not just 400' pure hyzers.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,173 Times in 595 Posts

The bottom line is that disc golf needs open courses and tourneys just as much as tight wooded ones. We really should be past all the whining by now.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,950 Times in 1,672 Posts

Lol boring and difficult aren’t mutually exclusive...

Baseball takes skill but damn is it a snooze fest to watch

Old 05-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
The bottom line is that disc golf needs open courses and tourneys just as much as tight wooded ones. We really should be past all the whining by now.
True, but does a tournament need the same course three times?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 477 Times in 231 Posts

I watched the DGPT talk with Steve Dodge and Drew Gibson. Steve said if you did not have 500 feet of power at CC there is no way you could win on that course. Is that true? They got into the discussion and Steve's worry was the courses were going to get to long (saying CC was right on the line basically) and become unfair/boring for the majority of the field. He made the comparison to women playing the same tees as men and why he pushed to change that on the DGPT. Drew said 450 feet of power would of been enough to win there. I tend to agree. I don't think you are at a huge disadvantage if you throw 450.

It's a good discussion though. Obviously the game is evolving, and open courses are going to have to get longer. It seems the players who are actually in contention to win week in and week out (even on the east coast woodsy tracks) almost all have elite distance. One exception off the top of my head is Josh Anthon winning the Ledgestone and he throws 450 per Drew. As Drew said in that talk having a big arm can be even more beneficial in the woods when you can throw a mid or fairway 400 feet dead straight and hit a landing zone flat with no speed.

As a fan, I lean toward catering to that small group on top, who all seem to have a minimum of 450 feet of power. Do we need to worry, with regard to course design, about anyone in MPO who can't throw 450 at this point? Those top flight guys certainly need their money in the purse.

It's way easier to even the playing field in tighter courses and make distance far less of an advantage, but when it comes to the ball golf type courses, which aren't going away anytime soon, is CC too long? Does it reward big arms too much? Could Josh Anthon have won if he was on that weekend?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,622 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomte View Post
True, but does a tournament need the same course three times?
According to most players who are playing in the event, it's preferable.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
According to most players who are playing in the event, it's preferable.
This is absoloutley the consensus.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 139
Niced 972 Times in 425 Posts

If you threw the correct distance from 375 and in every time and didn't miss from 35 feet and in, you would have shot 50 at CC.

Lower that to 325 and 35 feet and you would have shot 55 (math says 54, but you wouldn't be able to reach the island on 16, so added a stroke there).

50 three times wins by 13
55 three times loses by 2.

Disc golf is about getting up and down from 350 and in over and over and over and over.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,173 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
If you threw the correct distance from 375 and in every time and didn't miss from 35 feet and in, you would have shot 50 at CC.

Lower that to 325 and 35 feet and you would have shot 55 (math says 54, but you wouldn't be able to reach the island on 16, so added a stroke there).

50 three times wins by 13
55 three times loses by 2.

Disc golf is about getting up and down from 350 and in over and over and over and over.
Where's Chris Hysell to beat this home for us.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,521 Times in 693 Posts

I have no problem with a tournament being played on the same course for all 3-4 rounds, if the course is interesting to watch. I actually like watching pros navigate their nemeses holes.

If open bomber courses are the future for elite golf, so be it, nothing I can do about it, but I'll lose interest in watching is all. If that's where the ultimate money is, then that's where the sport is going to head. There will still be smaller tournaments for the distance handicapped, I just hope some of them get coverage too.

One of my biggest beefs with open courses is artificial OB, I hate that a player can make par. Not saying that they should have difficult drop zones on every hole, but the idea that yes, it's OB, but I can make something happen just bothers me. I much prefer seeing players recover from bad woods shots and seeing how they scramble. This element is pretty much lost on open courses. Personally, I learn almost nothing for my game by watching open course play.

I appreciate the skill these pros have, I'm not knocking any of them, but. like the baseball analogy, watching the same shot over and over again is pretty boring. And I'm afraid, if this is the future of disc golf, it's going to have a backlash, people who can't bomb, and never will may just give up. Golf isn't doing all that well these days in the armature world, with course closing and people just saying screw it, too expensive and I'll never be good enough, so why bother. Could eventually happen to disc golf too.

And as far as the record number of viewers? My guess is it's because of the coverage, not the event. The coverage has gotten a lot better and more people are interested in watching. I'm pretty sure the record number of viewers is going to be continually broken this year, it had nothing to do with GBO being all that special. Thank you Jomez and CCDG, it's only getting better!

Niced: (1)