Old 05-27-2018, 12:24 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,248 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Question: I have several rocs in different flavors- champ roc3 and a flat top dx are bagged the most.

If Im looking for a floaty, more understable type disc for backhand turnover finesse/touch shots for wooded holes, what comet would you recommend? Never thrown one and its a hole in my soul Id like to fill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Elite-X

The best Comet for what you want. Beat it in a little and they are magic.
Yeah, if you are looking for that shot the X Comet is where you want to go.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2018, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldst View Post
Except for those short, one disc, putter courses, what course doesn't call for a Comet? At least to have on hand for scrambles? (real question)
I pull the Comet out of my bag for open bomber courses. That equals exactly one of the lowlier rated courses in my immediate vicinity. It's so open that there are zero scramble needs, and my putter serves for any potential Comet-like shots.

Don't get me wrong. It would be fun for some anny lines or tailwind shots, but it's just not worth keeping in the bag. Polecat comes out too.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I pull the Comet out of my bag for open bomber courses. That equals exactly one of the lowlier rated courses in my immediate vicinity. It's so open that there are zero scramble needs, and my putter serves for any potential Comet-like shots.

Don't get me wrong. It would be fun for some anny lines or tailwind shots, but it's just not worth keeping in the bag. Polecat comes out too.
When I moved from St. Louis to the Chicago 'burbs the courses were pretty open and the wind was pretty bad. I put the Comets away and put my Rocs in the bag, but my Rocs were O Rocs and that didn't work. I pretty quickly broke out the Rancho Rocs I'd been getting at tournaments. Suddenly the value of the Rancho Roc was apparent to me. The Comets went in a box where I forgot all about them for about eight years. They just didn't fit with the kind of golf I was forced into playing.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 158 Times in 110 Posts

Im glad I tried the comet because as a roc cycler, it is a very suitable off the shelf replacement for a seasoned straight to US roc. Comets do glide more, but thats not to say rocs dont glide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,379 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
Im glad I tried the comet because as a roc cycler, it is a very suitable off the shelf replacement for a seasoned straight to US roc. Comets do glide more, but thats not to say rocs dont glide...
That's been my experience as well. It's why I said they're close enough. Once they stop being so fade happy they just keep going.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-28-2018, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,150 Times in 538 Posts

I have a couple of broken in X Comets on the shelf in case I lose a super beat Roc.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:51 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
That's been my experience as well. It's why I said they're close enough. Once they stop being so fade happy they just keep going.
Probably. A lot of it is a perception thing and honestly I'm not a good enough golfer to repeat the same shot over and over without a significant level of "screwed that up".

Probably what is more accurate is that I'm more likely to execute a shot where that massive glide kicks in with the Comets than I am with a beat Roc. When I have a Comet in my hand my mind always runs through "SLOW DOWN, BE SMOOTH" warnings that I really don't get when I throw a turnover Roc. Maybe if I concentrated on throwing a beat Roc like it was a Comet I'd get a more Comet-like result? Not sure. Even with warning bells going off in my head, I turn and burn my Comets a lot more often than I'd like to admit.

At any rate, any time I'm talking about what a disc does for me the factor of user error should always be considered.