Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 736 Times in 343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee View Post
People throwing out $1M but actually, wouldn't $100K be an extraordinary amount as a sponsorship for a GREAT disc golfer? Add bonuses, commissions, other sponsors, plus winnings. Where does the $1M speculation come from?
I believe Paul had a half million contract for 2016-2018. So in terms of order of magnitude, $100,000 would not have impressed him for a single year.

Not sure how long the rumored $1millie deal is rumored to last. 5 years would be a slight increase over his previous deal.

(And yes, there are other factors, like tournament winnings and swag and the rest. I'm just talking straight up dollars and cents going from sponsor to player. Not sure if he gets bonuses for disc sales, tourney wins, or if it's just all included in the base price.)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2018, 06:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 230
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 81 Times in 31 Posts

Anybody thought the picture that Innova chose for their announcement was interesting? While you do see the Innova Proto Star on the hat, you don't seen the Innova logo anywhere. Why? If your franchise player was leaving, and you chose to make an announcement of it, wouldn't you want to show a picture of him clearly as an Innova player?

Is it because Nike, the shirt he's wearing, has something to do with it?
Old 10-31-2018, 06:12 PM

Courses Played: 24
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
No.

I don't know much but I know Nike isn't branching off into disc golf manufacturing.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:14 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Where is DGI in all of this? Are they still a thing?

I remember hearing about them at the start of the season when they came out of the gate signing up most of the big name players, but since then...?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-31-2018, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 220 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
Anybody thought the picture that Innova chose for their announcement was interesting? While you do see the Innova Proto Star on the hat, you don't seen the Innova logo anywhere. Why? If your franchise player was leaving, and you chose to make an announcement of it, wouldn't you want to show a picture of him clearly as an Innova player?

I'd imagine they just went with a good photo that showed him in action, as opposed to something of him celebrating or smiling. He often just wore an Innova hat this season if he was out of shirts with Innova logos on them, so I wouldn't read anything into this.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-31-2018, 06:18 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,156 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
What are the responsibilities of a Captain though? Is Paul the current Captain? Not that it isn't great to see Nate getting some well-deserved recognition, but the position of Captain is not completely advertised.
The only visible thing an (American) football team captain does is be at the coin toss. I'm sure there is "leader in the locker room" stuff we don't see. For disc golf? Probably an honorary thing, mostly, and being the "face of the franchise".
Old 10-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Really? It just seems like Prodigy makes good plastic that no one really uses or cares about.
Prodigy really makes some nice plastic, maybe amongst the very best since the translucent CE was discontinued. (There I said it!) I think they've been held back by 2 things:
  1. Ok, the initial roll out was super aggressive and they kind of fell flat compared to expectations. They can improve that image bigly going forward if they continue to stay relevant on event podiums.
  2. Some of their earliest molds were not great. They have been steadily adding quality to the lineup, like the A series is the most recent I can think of.

Both of those items are trending in the right directions, and I can imagine Prodigy continuing to gather steam if they keep it going. A few fresh faces on their pro team will not hurt them get more attention, either.

Last edited by ThrowBot; 10-31-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: List Fail!
Old 10-31-2018, 06:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Niced 706 Times in 290 Posts

Bigly? Even DGCR has higher standards than that.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTaylor View Post
Where is DGI in all of this? Are they still a thing?

I remember hearing about them at the start of the season when they came out of the gate signing up most of the big name players, but since then...?
This never went anywhere. Unless there is a secret DGI mafia somewhere pulling strings in secret, they haven't done anything except weird halfway rollout announcements from a few semi-reliable sources.

As far as I can tell, DGI was a partial flash in the pan, and now the concept is dead.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 79
Niced 33 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
That is indeed surprising. Even here in the land of Cale Leiviska I rarely see Prodigy on the tees. I visit multiple brick and mortal DG stores in my regular work travels, and they all report slow going with Prodigy. They definitely have some good plastic (that nomenclature tho - can we not have number for both the discs and the plastic type?), and the baskets are top-notch.

Conversely, I continue to see Discraft, particularly mids and putters, a lot in the mid-west. I see a lot of Trilogy everywhere. DiscMania with "serious players". And Innova, of course, dominates.

In DFW we don’t see much Prodigy. Innova is clearly the most common in stores, butt most likely DD for the second spot. Now, we’ve got a DD presence here, so that may be what puts them there. At places like Academy (local Walmart’s don’t seem to stock Discs), you’ve got Innova, DD and Discraft. You see some Prodigy in Disc shops, but not a lot. I don’t really see a lot of guys throwing much Discraft of Prodigy.