Old 11-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,494 Times in 689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Indeed, I am sure disc choice is very regional. Though the above is posed as your observation, I dare say it is simple supposition. I also dare say, that maybe you should look to your "old timers" for potential sage insight on discs, as many have probably thrown a whole bunch of them over the years.

I always questions brand exclusive bag owners. With the massive options in molds and plastics, limiting yourself to a brand seems myopic at best.

I do throw some Discraft, but living here, I get too much of it in tournament play to not find a spot for some of it in my bag. Beside, as an "oldtimer" I would have a hard time without my Magnet, Comet, Stratus or Buzzz.
I dare say, if you read my post, you would know that "I" bag some Discraft. And yes, I started throwing a Comet from watching old timers (and this forum).

I've been throwing a Comet for 4 years. When I first bagged it, I got laughed at by the regulars. It took two years before a buddy of mine decided he had to try one after watching me throw one for a while. You should hear the ribbing I got from putting a Stratus back in my bag!

"I" didn't say Discraft was the brand of white trash, I was only saying how Discraft is perceived in my area. Around here, the big push by the average player is Trilogy. It's new and exciting and oh those cool Viking themed stamps! Discraft and even Innova are old school.

One of the down sides to "grow the sport". Marrieds of newbies and ams toting Zuka carts stuffed full of cool looking discs they can't throw bragging about how these cool disc fly. Yeah, they're torqued over and fly just as far as the Surge, Nuke or Destroyer you were previously throwing.

"In my area" we're beginning to see a split, old school vs new, the club is falling apart, league participation is down and there are splinter groups going off to do they're own thing. Yeah, growing pains. And even the local PIAS isn't going to restock they're Discraft because they still haven't sold off what they ordered over 2 years ago.

I'd like to see Discraft re-up they're game, there are discs I would love to try if they only came in something other than a Z variant.

We'll see.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Keller; 11-06-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Indeed, I am sure disc choice is very regional. Though the above is posed as your observation, I dare say it is simple supposition. I also dare say, that maybe you should look to your "old timers" for potential sage insight on discs, as many have probably thrown a whole bunch of them over the years.

I always questions brand exclusive bag owners. With the massive options in molds and plastics, limiting yourself to a brand seems myopic at best.

I do throw some Discraft, but living here, I get too much of it in tournament play to not find a spot for some of it in my bag. Beside, as an "oldtimer" I would have a hard time without my Magnet, Comet, Stratus or Buzzz.

I throw all one brand, with the exception of a midrange slot that rotates between 3 or 4 manufacturers. I don't find myself limited in anyway. I like their plastics and they have a big enough selection to fill all slots in my bag. Less for me to think about.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,369 Times in 462 Posts

Seriously disappointing cringe to lulz ratio in here.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 45
Niced 577 Times in 293 Posts

Anybody know what's going on with Bradley Williams? He didn't play any events after worlds. Is he injured?

Old 11-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 176 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Anybody know what's going on with Bradley Williams? He didn't play any events after worlds. Is he injured?
Heavily bruised ego. Tough to come back from that

Old 11-06-2018, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

If we lend some credibility to the rumors found here and on reddit for a moment let's fast forward to February and imagine one of the possible "new look" scenarios!

Notes at the bottom:

Innova's Top 3:
- Barsby
- Sexton
- Conrad

Discraft Top 3:
- McBeth
- Jones
- Ulibarri

Discmania Top 3:
- McMahon
- Lizotte
- Shue

Prodigy Top 3:
- Dickerson
- Paju
- Orum (or Colglazier)

Latitude Top 3:
- Wysocki
- McCray
- Owens

Dynamic Discs Top 3:
- Melton
- Risley
- Oakley (or Keegan)

DGA Top 3:
- Elmore
- Bitney
- Criss

--------------------------

Notes:

- You have to be "full time touring" to be on this (for fun, irrelevant) list. Discraft obviously has MJ and Doss, but we'll likely only see them sporadically unless things change. I'm also counting MPO, so in cases like DGA where Jon Baldwin is the #1 he doesn't make the list because he mostly plays MP40+

- I didn't do FPO to keep the post short, and because there seem to be fewer moves. If someone wants to, feel free.

- If Jones goes with Prodigy over Discraft (seems to be the strongest 2 suitors), he goes immediately to #2 and bumps Paju to #3

- Small rumor that I heard awhile back but nothing new on is Grady Shue being courted by DD (he's dating Bjerkaas). That would move him from Discmania #3 --> DD #1, and bring Nate Perkins into the Discmania #3 spot.

- I omitted Westside and MVP because of their small teams with no real week-in and week-out road warrior NT/M/PT threat. Am I wrong? Agree or Disagree? Matt Dollar might be the biggest threat, but he doesn't tour much.

- Some people might argue that Emerson Keith and Matt Bell deserve to contend for the #3 spot in lieu of Devan Owens. Thoughts?

-------------------------

Or in general, reactions?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 45
Niced 577 Times in 293 Posts

^^ Looks about right. I could see Calvin Heimburg sneaking into Innova's top three but I agree with the way you have it now.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Don't know if that helps:
Devan Owens: Current Rating: 1019 (as of 09-Oct-2018)
Matt Bell: Current Rating: 1015 (as of 30-Oct-2018)
Emerson Keith: Current Rating: 1013 (as of 30-Oct-2018)
Maybe ranking them is not as important - it could be that an veteran like Doss, MJ, or Philo produce more revenue for the discgolf companies than a newer name with a better season. If you look from that perspective.

Other than that - I like the movements. And the fact that there is some diversity.

Last edited by tomte; 11-06-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
^^ Looks about right. I could see Calvin Heimburg sneaking into Innova's top three but I agree with the way you have it now.
I'd put Heimburg in that "next up" category as well. Lots of potential there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomte View Post
Don't know if that helps:
Devan Owens: Current Rating: 1019 (as of 09-Oct-2018)
Matt Bell: Current Rating: 1015 (as of 30-Oct-2018)
Emerson Keith: Current Rating: 1013 (as of 30-Oct-2018)
Maybe ranking them is not as important - it could be that an veteran like Doss, MJ, or Philo produce more revenue for the discgolf companies than a newer name with a better season. If you look from that perspective.

Other than that - I like the movements. And the fact that there is some diversity.
Those 3 (and the DD team outside of Melton) were the most difficult to parse out, especially since I didn't rigidly define what qualifies the "top 3" - it's just kinda a mix of what they've earned, who the fans want to see/hype-in-general, and some stats mixed in.

For example - in the moment to we weigh DO's 4 ratings points as heavier than Matt Bell winning a World Mixed Doubles title? etc. etc.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 87
Niced 138 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Yes and crime is crime. I'd just as soon be a victim of violent crime as theft, wouldn't you?
I would much rather be robbed than raped.