Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

I get the "internal dialogue" thing too. For everything from putting to tee shots, I'm focusing on some part of the mechanics or telling myself to do something (very simple). It helps me avoid the potential mechanics mistakes and also helps me avoid having too many other thoughts in there.

But I still think the main thing is practicing the motions and specifically practicing rounds where it matters to pick a shot and hit it the first time.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2018, 05:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Best advice I've got this year was from Jay Dub. He said "don't try so hard, don't over think it just have fun" right before I threw a tee shot at Mt. Airy earlier this year. I've heard that play in my head before every shot since.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 468 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
coherent *sic

That's an interesting indictment of indirect speech. Fair enough.
I don't believe the OP is facing a 'direct' problem with a 'direct' solution, but simple is as simple does...
Well, believing that a problem is more complicated than it is, certainly makes it more difficult.

Pick 1 disc.
Throw that disc a bunch, and get to a point that you feel confident throwing it at distances Outside putting to ~150' to 200'.

Or... one can believe this is mentally insurmountable task and basically have their game go to **** when there is a perception that any shot 'matters'
Old 11-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 173 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Well, believing that a problem is more complicated than it is, certainly makes it more difficult.

Pick 1 disc.
Throw that disc a bunch, and get to a point that you feel confident throwing it at distances Outside putting to ~150' to 200'.

Or... one can believe this is mentally insurmountable task and basically have their game go to **** when there is a perception that any shot 'matters'
that's what everyone wanted to hear: the dulcet tones of the voice of experience...good luck with that, mcbeast...
Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 468 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
that's what everyone wanted to hear: the dulcet tones of the voice of experience...good luck with that, mcbeast...
Nah, what people obviously want to hear are overly loquacious musings with no discernible conclusion from a condescending blowhard who would like to overthink an issue but appears to lack the most integral ingredient for doing so.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 173 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Nah, what people obviously want to hear are overly loquacious musings with no discernible conclusion from a condescending blowhard who would like to overthink an issue but appears to lack the most integral ingredient for doing so.
Do tell. I can't wait to hear more of your 'a-musings'...

Old 11-28-2018, 08:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
My trick is to play the highest percentage shot, meaning I’ll throw whatever I know works for me the most.

Don’t go for in, just let it softly land by the basket.
To the OP
I highly recommend you throw whatever your highest percentage shot is when you’re nervous. For me thats usually a hyzer whenever the shot is available. I rarely run anything outside of 80’ (I’m not Barsby ). So I’m rarely trying to make it in the basket on my approach/scramble shots. I don’t aim at the basket. I aim at the ground somewhere around the basket. I usually try to land on whatever side of the basket gives me a tailwind putt. I’m fine with executing a high percentage shot that I feel comfortable with, and giving myself a long putt. More times than not I mess up “touchy shots” that I don’t practice a lot and end up hitting a tree or something similar.

The mental part of the game is tricky. It’s something most guys who take the game seriously are always continuing to work on (like all sports). I recommend (as you said) just playing more tournaments/leagues. Weekly leagues are a great way to “feel some pressure” for $10 or less. Nothing really beats experience. Even after a few years, I still get feel nervous during tournaments. The more times you play competitively the less nerves you feel. Or it could also be that you just find ways to overcome feeling nervous. Im not really sure, it probably depends on the individual.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

Well, a lot has been said and I briefly read over it all. Not to keep saying the same thing you have already heard but I think these points are the most important:

-play more tournaments, this forces you to get comfortable in a space that is impossible to create in the field.

-during field work practice tougher shots. I spent a lot of time in my younger days doing field work. I loved it too much was the problem, and never focused on challenging myself. in the field its just you, so it is much easier to get better in that scenario quicker.

-some of the very best guys just ****ing go, cam todd, ricky Wysocki, etc... they don't overthink it and it works for them. but they have done it so much that it is engrained in them. they don't let their mind get in the way.

-if you are a reader get some books on the mental game. write them down and have that on your mind while you do field work.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

OP here with an update.

I've been putting a lot of time in lately working on approaches. Part of that is by design, and part of that is because with snow on the ground I can't throw as far so I'm not getting in the circle nearly as often. I've been trying out just about everything -- BH spike hyzers, BH annies, FH hyzers w/OS putter, FH lazers w/neutral mid, etc. I've also been working on approaches with just about every putter and mid in my bag to see what works and what doesn't. I've basically gone back to the drawing board.
What I've found is that my comfort level has gone up significantly in a short amount of time with FH approaches, which is odd because I was a backhand-exclusive player until a couple months ago and I'm still backhand dominant off the tee. But for whatever reason, inside 150 feet I've found myself mentally walking through the following order of preference for a given approach (roughly estimated % of use in parenthesis):

1. FH hyzer w/Zone (50%)
2. FH flex w/Zone (35%)
3. FH straight approach w/Evidence (10%)
4. BH hyzer w/Envy (5%)

The flick flex shot with a Zone has been particularly eye opening. As my comfort level has grown with the shot, I've found myself going to it more and more where I used to choose to approach w/ a backhand hyzer. It's so much easier for me to get a FH flex to land softly compared to a BH hyzer. I've found that some variation of a forehand approach makes my left/right misses negligible, so I really only have to worry about distance control. Whereas in the past when I mostly approached backhand, I often missed short as well as left or right. While I will still work to improve BH approaches, I think I've found my "go-to" shot/disc combo as many of you recommended for under tourney pressure.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 13
Niced 93 Times in 47 Posts

1. Practice
2. Mental Game: Read Golf is Not a Game of Perfect and the Mental Game of Baseball
3. Pay attention to your landing zones so you can set up the most comfortable approach, even if it costs distance or isnt the "traditional" play.