Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Courses Played: 22
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Yes i have a Big-Z STING, nice disc but more of a fairway. . i see the ARCHER more like a mid.

But going to take a stack of Z, Ti and Big-Z Archer a Big-Z Sting and my METEORS out to the field tomorrow and test different lines and throwing speeds.. . .probably going to bring a few Comets as well. . .and TURSAS, M4, Warrant
I have a Big Z Archer and a VIP Tursas and even though they both feel different in hand, they have the same flight patterns for me. I use them for tailwind turnover shots and hyzerflip tunnel shots. Usage depends on the mood, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2019, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,285 Times in 751 Posts

I like the flight of the TURSAS but not the feel...all the ones i have is SHARP on the inside rim...of all my +300 disc, my TURSAS have the sharpest inside rim...feels like it could cut your finger of
Archer is smoth and have great feel in the hand
Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,285 Times in 751 Posts

So i went out to my lokal cource to test the ARCHER today against a few other discs. .

I took:

Z-FLX BUZZZ SS
300 Series M4
Z METEOR
Big-Z STING
Z ARCHER

all around 172g. .all thrown RHBH

Started the test on hole 1. . a 75m (246feet) hole with a tight gap to hit in the woods the first half and then a slow pan to the right the last half of the hole. .
Basicly if you throw perfectly straight you end up just outside the circle on the left side. . .No room for an anhyzer.

After the first attempts i quickly realized that the BUZZZ SS and M4 is just to straight. . .and to similar to my usual BUZZZ.

Next up the METEOR.

Started out throwing the METEOR to high, so i got the turn but then it just stalls out and ended out more left than my BUZZZ SS. . but thrown hard and low the METEOR ended up a few feet left of the BUZZZ SS
But anything the METEOR can do i feel that my RPM TUI can do better.

So the next hours was throwing the Big-Z STING and Z ARCHER .. and i took me a wile to figure them out

First the Big-Z STING.

This thing is alot more US than i tought it would be from looking at the numbers
It΄s way more US than my METEOR . .but in a good way
It basicly turns slowly to the right. . throw i flat and it will start to turn right and hold that angle all throughout the flight
Give it some hyzer and it will slowly work itself up to flat and then start to fade right giving the flight a long S-pattern
A perfect disc for those long "sweeping to the right" holes.

The Z ARCHER

So i started out throwing this thing flat and it just crashed into the woods to the right, could not get it to do what i wanted at first.
So i went out to the field to try to figure this disc out, and after a while i did.
The ARHCER basicly insta flips straight out of the hand but then it stays on that line for a while and pans right at the end of its flight

So if you release it flat it insta flips to an anhyzer and holds that to the ground. . basicly a roller
You HAVE to realease it on an Hyzer. . if you do it will flip up to flat and hold that line most of the fligth, and than pan right at the end

To sum up. .
The Big-Z STING will slowly pan to the right throughout the whole flight and hold the same angle all the way
The Z ARCHER will flip upp fast and then hold the line for most of it΄s flight, and just pan right in the end

I΄m going out again to try the ARCHER in Big-Z and Ti. . and i΄m going to buy a Z and Ti STING

For now both the STING and ARCHER is in my bag. . they do differnt things, but my hope is to get ONE mould to do all those things by experementing with different plasics and waights

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Jolt; 01-05-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 106 Times in 67 Posts

Keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Took the my two Archers to the range today for some comparison work with the Patrol, M4, Wombat3, Foxbat, and other discs. One Archer is 175g or so, the other is 167g or so.

Relative to the other mids I threw, the Archer is LONNNNG. If the others are Speed '5', the Archer is a Speed '6'. Driver speed, but Midrange feel and performance.

The lighter weight Archer turned over a lot; I hyzer-flipped it and still got a nice turnover. The heavier Archer wasn't so flippy; I could throw it straight and flat and it would turnover nicely. Either disc would be good for (intentional) rollers.

TL;DR: really nice understable midrange, but confirmed that it's faster than speed '5'...

Niced: (1)

Last edited by SD86; 07-13-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Took the my two Archers to the range today for some comparison work with the Patrol, M4, Wombat3, Foxbat, and other discs. One Archer is 175g or so, the other is 167g or so.

Relative to the other mids I threw, the Archer is LONNNNG. If the others are Speed '5', the Archer is a Speed '6'. Driver speed, but Midrange feel and performance.

The lighter weight Archer turned over a lot; I hyzer-flipped it and still got a nice turnover. The heavier Archer wasn't so flippy; I could throw it straight and flat and it would turnover nicely. Either disc would be good for (intentional) rollers.

TL;DR: really nice understable midrange, but confirmed that it's faster than speed '5'...
Actually according to Discraft The Archer is a Fairway disc speed 7 with a shape like the 5.5 speed Stratus fairway disc but able to be made in premium plastic for those who want more then an X plastic Stratus. I never got the speed for the Archer since it is midrange in the way it files. The Archer is great for roller. I agree having used the Archer well for backhand rollers fairly well, this is due to how wide the rim is for a driver.

Niced: (1)