Old 01-09-2019, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

I wouldn’t say 400 is a “big arm”. I’d say 450’ if not 500’ of golf distance is a “big arm”. I’ve seen way too many ams at tournaments throw over 400’ to call a 400’ arm a big arm. I’ve witnessed long time Rec players throw over 400.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

I think the internet exaggeration you hear most often is someone conflating their longest drives with their average drives. My longest airshot drives (measured on a flat field with a range finder) have been about 430', but my average golf drives (with a distance driver on a relatively open hole) are usually in the 360 - 380 range. Not that I never throw over 400 on the course, but it's fairly rare. I remember going OB long in a tournament once on my first throw of the round. I later measured the distance with my range finder and found out it was right at 400 to the OB line; I didn't even THINK about that OB line on my throw because I'd never gone OB long there before. It definitely shows the difference between my average and max distances.

I think one reason holes are often reported as longer than they are is that the intended flight path is measured in segments rather than just measuring the straight distance to the pin. There's a hole at a local course that is about 330 to the pin but the fairway goes straight for about 300 and then 90 degree left turn for another 150 so they call it a 450 hole. Because the brush is so thick, and the trees make a ceiling, there's really no way to cut off the fairway very much so it's SORT OF true. You can definitely get a fairway driver to the turn and if you're lucky and don't hit a tree or bush you can get some skip towards the pin, but the best drives are usually still 60 short of the pin. Even the local Pro division doesn't often 2 that hole in tournaments. However, if you COULD reach the basket, it wouldn't actually take 450 feet of power to get there. The perfect height, a lot of overstability, some luck, and a cross wind might do it. Then you'd have someone bragging that they birdied a 450 foot hole when in fact they didn't throw anywhere close to that distance.

Also, I wouldn't rely too much on Google Earth/Maps to measure holes. I've compared those measurements to my rangefinder and they cant be significantly off. Sometimes I think the satellite imagery is a tiny bit off. And if you're measuring distance based on a view straight down, you're not taking elevation changes into account.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcnelly View Post
Simon, Eagle, Drew, GG and Geisnger is the .1% Club.
Seppo has legit distance too.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 502 Times in 208 Posts

oops
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Also, I wouldn't rely too much on Google Earth/Maps to measure holes. I've compared those measurements to my rangefinder and they cant be significantly off. Sometimes I think the satellite imagery is a tiny bit off. And if you're measuring distance based on a view straight down, you're not taking elevation changes into account.
I've had really good luck with it for flat areas. Especially if I throw somewhere with a baseball/softball field adjacent, I can read the distance sign on the fence. Go home and google map it for distance from home plate, and I'm always within like 2'...it's insanely accurate to the point of did you click EXACTLY on home plate and on the fence. So as long as I line myself up beside a specific landmark and throw near another landmark it works out well. Of course throwing on marked fields is the best.

From throwing/practicing in tons of different spots I can see what my distances tend to be for disc classes. I feel like on holes 250-360' if I throw several shots I can pretty much tell the distance within 15' based on my discs and effort level, since I've thrown so much for distance ranges. For example there's a local wooded hole listed at 270' that I feel plays 20' shorter...google mapped it and it's like 255'.

I've of course seen some holes marked WAY off, and lots of people just don't have any clue how far they throw. But once you are throwing like 70'+ farther than someone they think you're a big arm, no matter what the hole markers say.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 102
Niced 37 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I wouldn’t say 400 is a “big arm”. I’d say 450’ if not 500’ of golf distance is a “big arm”. I’ve seen way too many ams at tournaments throw over 400’ to call a 400’ arm a big arm. I’ve witnessed long time Rec players throw over 400.
Your logic is flawed...a player in any division and still have a big arm. Having a big arm and being a rec player...the two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENFTS View Post
Your logic is flawed...a player in any division and still have a big arm. Having a big arm and being a rec player...the two aren't mutually exclusive.
My logic may be flawed but I still don’t think anything under 450’ is a “big arm”. You need over 400’ to even get large rimmed drivers (speed 12-14) up to speed.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 86 Times in 56 Posts

Being just slightly north of the double nickle in years I sometimes wonder if I still have an arm.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 148
Niced 37 Times in 13 Posts

9 inches.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 74 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
You need over 400 to even get large rimmed drivers (speed 12-14) up to speed.
I have always taken issue with the term "up to speed", as if the disc won't fly unless it reaches requisite speed.

The fact is that a person with poor form that throws a Teebird 300' will usually get distance gains with a destroyer. Will they throw that Destroyer longer than a person with good form throws a Teebird? Of course not! But the fact remains, at a static skill level, the Destroyer will (almost) always go further than a Teebird. Notable exception will be for people with small hands or grip strength issues where they literally cannot grasp the wider rim.

What exactly does a disc fly like when it is thrown at the requisite power? If you throw a Teebird with 400' of power it will fly properly, but won't it fly even MORE properly at 450' of power? There really is not top end for optimal power. More power is always more optimal, unless you have poor form and OAT, in which case more power accentuates your OAT.