Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
In the R3 commentary, on whatever that short downhill hole is, Eagle mentions that he actually used to throw a lot of Discraft, presumably pre-sponsorship. He mentioned that he personally didn't like how the Predator felt for forehands, for example, and perhaps that's why Paul wasn't throwing them either. Definitely a tidbit on Eagle I hadn't heard before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
Well I think it had a lot to do with the card. Three of the four players were sponsored by DC. Also if I remembered correctly Eagle said he threw DC before being sponsored by Discmania. I liked that even though he is sponsored by a different company he is still knowledgeable in other manufacturer's discs. Really impressed with Eagle's commentary overall.
Agree with both of you, especially that Eagle's knowledge of Discraft really added to his commentary. My previous comment was just in the context that Eagle is now Discmania-sponsored but seemed to be 'enthusiastic' (for lack of a better term) about McBeth being with Discraft, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 90 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Agree that Eagle's commentary was good. And props to Ian, who IMHO is the very best in drawing out the best from his color commentators.

I did think it was curious how Eagle kept talking about McBeast being with Discraft... "first sanctioned throw with Discraft"... "first sanctioned round with Discraft"... and Eagle really seemed to know all of Paul's discs very well. Interesting that a Discmania-sponsored player really brought up Discraft so much...
I think these comments were what helped me appreciate Eagle’s commentary so much...

He knew what the hype was coming in (hell, he might have been as curious as the rest of us) and he made sure to circle back to what McBeth was throwing/thinking/doing. The fact that Discraft was heavily represented by other players besides McBeth made talking Discraft pretty much unavoidable.

Maybe somewhere Jussi is scowling at Eagle’s knowledge and discussion of Discraft, but Eagle also told us what disc he threw in every shot of the coverage he was on, so I doubt this is an issue. Eagle has had only one sponsor in his young career, but it’s not surprising that he hasn’t thrown exclusively Discmania since birth.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:55 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 68 Times in 53 Posts

Eagle and Barsby on commentary would be fantastic. The insight and knowledge they provide with discs, and the course, on top of the humor and enthusiasm.
Food for thought for CCDG.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 64
Niced 141 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'm just going to say this...that course looks like an apocalyptic wasteland...just hideous.
Seeing the upkeep of OG made me feel much better about the state of my back yard course.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 556 Times in 275 Posts

Eagle was definitely good in commentary. I believe he would say what anyone is throwing if he knows, regardless of the manufacturer. He just really knows all discs well. There is a video with him and Simon trying to fool each other trying to guess what discs are while blindfolded. He nailed every one correctly. It was impressive.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,150 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Agree with both of you, especially that Eagle's knowledge of Discraft really added to his commentary. My previous comment was just in the context that Eagle is now Discmania-sponsored but seemed to be 'enthusiastic' (for lack of a better term) about McBeth being with Discraft, etc.

I would assume that Eagle is pretty comfortable/confident in his Discmania sponsorship that he's not afraid to comment on a competing manufacturer's player/discs.

Plus he's friends with McBeth.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 672 Times in 321 Posts

Paul won this tournament many years in a row before now getting 2nd twice consecutively. Winter Time Open has really grown into the premier warmup tournament. Interesting to see how many more 1000+ rated players were there this year compared to years previous and just how much the MPO field grew in one season.

Not as many views on the CCDG vids as some were predicting. There was a lot of hype for Paul's Discraft debut, but it didn't translate into 100,000 views yet. Overall, Paul looked pretty good for his first sanctioned tournament with a whole new bag. He was ripping those Forces and really seemed to dig the Zone. He reached for the Zone on tons of fairly long forehands with good success. Had some nice shots with the Buzzz, too. I expected more Wasp shots. Putter shots were pretty good, but will get better has he gets used to them. Paul had a couple nasty spitouts that made a difference in the final tally.

Austin Hannum was killing it the entire tournament until that last round. When the collapse came on, it came on hard. Momentum shifts in disc golf can be dramatic, and that definitely happened during the back 9 of round 3. Hate to see spectators influence play on the last hole. From the coverage it looked like the spectator who got hit was in a spot where Austin couldn't see him/her, meaning that they couldn't see him throwing and probably had little idea that the disc was coming their direction. He was taking an unconventional line, but it still leaves a sour taste seeing someone get hit and having it influence the outcome of the tournament. Hannum had a sneaky good year last year and should contend a fair amount this year, too.

Was expecting more Eagle on coverage. Cool to see him have the hot round 3. Having a warmup tournament before Vegas should help him get the offseason jitters out. He was excellent on commentary: informative, didn't get offtrack, and did a good job of setting the stage in high pressure situations. My biggest complaint about the Big/Sexy commentary team is that they don't do a good job building suspense when there is tons of pressure on a particular shot or hole. They just keep doing their mix of comedy and play by play even when the tournament is on the line. Eagle and Ian was an excellent pairing.

Big ups to Adam Hammes for a great tournament. Him switching to Discraft went under the radar with all the big sponsor moves this offseason. Great get for Discraft as he's definitely one of the top up and comers out there. Great to see him get a big win. and to show that much composure down the stretch. He displayed a very mature mental game for a player his age. He'll be one to watch this season for sure.

Winter Time open provided everything we as fans could have asked for in the first covered tournament of the season.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 672 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
I'm just going to say this...that course looks like an apocalyptic wasteland...just hideous.
Welcome to large portions of California. Lot of ugly desert out West.

Niced: (3)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
In fairness, the weather is what was hideous. Except for a few desert holes, the course is challenging and not that bad...

Niced: (1)

Old 02-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,592 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Evans View Post
Any chance you filmed everyone on Paul’s card and will be releasing the rest at a later date? I’d love to see the lines that Double G took on some of those holes.
yes and yes. I heard of one CRAZY good GG shot, won't spoil where though.

Quote:
Just want to say thanks to CCDG for their (as usual) excellent coverage.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
Eagle was really good on commentary.

Very concise and insightful; I liked how he pointed out McBeth kept flicking a Zone on long shots when he used to throw Destroyer on short shots.

Good stuff.
Eagle was an absolute pleasure to work with. So impressed with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
CCDG and Eagle did an awesome job with the coverage.

I feel terrible for Hannum. In every of CCDG coverage we saw a spectator get hit with a disc in play, only the old dude on the Hoveround was standing OB . They need to back it up a bit.
Thanks! My heart broke for Austin when that happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
Buttgate?

All joking aside, I feel really bad for Hannum. How close would his upshot have been? Who knows. He should have made that tap-in on the elevated basket, and he wouldn’t have had to be so aggressive. So many little things. Really hate to see it.
Judging by where it skipped, he was looking at a circle's edge putt, with a low ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRReGoN View Post
I don't know if he had a way of knowing people was there but going over O.B. on a hole where most of the time player don't go that route, it sure would have been better to make sure spectators are aware (and also not inbound). I wasn't there so I don't know.

Still he had a 6 strokes lead at the beginning of the final 9 so he did many mistakes before that bad luck.

It's still annoying seeing spectators inbound ahead of players no matters they get hit or not.

So I've legit never even seen anyone get to the road from where Austin was, that was nuts. And no we had no idea there were people down there.

I would like to clear up one thing. The person he hit was standing in the road out of bounds. I know he got to take his lie from there, but really it never got back in bounds. This was confirmed by multiple people standing there.

Quote:
Agree that Eagle's commentary was good. And props to Ian, who IMHO is the very best in drawing out the best from his color commentators.

I did think it was curious how Eagle kept talking about McBeast being with Discraft... "first sanctioned throw with Discraft"... "first sanctioned round with Discraft"... and Eagle really seemed to know all of Paul's discs very well. Interesting that a Discmania-sponsored player really brought up Discraft so much...
Thanks so much! IMO that's just Eagle doing a great job! He's secure enough in discmaniauality that he can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
Eagle and Barsby on commentary would be fantastic. The insight and knowledge they provide with discs, and the course, on top of the humor and enthusiasm.
Food for thought for CCDG.
That would either be amazing or terrible lol. This may be just me, but I feel like the best combo is play by play dude (just a dude), and a pro. It's the formula for pretty much every major sports broadcast. Two pros can get offtrack or just weird at times. I feel like the exception is Sexton in that he can do both.

And selfishly I also love doing commentary, and I like to think I'm at least ok at it? It's legit the most/only fun part of the job lol. I guess filming can be fun too, but not always (like Friday when it was dumping rain and I was sick...). Commentary with a good partner is always fun.

Maybe we'll test pro/pro at some tourney I can't make it to in person, but I'd be surprised if that's the long term play.