Old 03-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Courses Played: 22
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

I’ve always thrown with loud people and dogs running up on the box so it doesn’t affect me. However, I don’t speak or move when someone is on the box or in a throwing motion.
If this is causing a distraction you can always gently remind everyone before the first tee that you like to have it quiet with no movement when you’re throwing. Or say something like “I like to play casual rounds as prep for competitive play, so I’d appreciate it if no one spoke while I was throwing”. Who can reasonably say no to that request.
OTOH I have a friend who will yell on the first box “Stop talking while I’m throwing!” or “Don’t talk to my disc!” then turns around and will calmly smile on the first box right after he throws on casual rounds. Nobody makes a peep when he’s up.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,168 Times in 592 Posts

"Don't talk to my disc!" Lulz.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Niced 1,619 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
agreed. That is why I tend to be a bit of a stickler for the rules and courtesy, even in a $10 buy in dubs league. That way no one feels screwed, put upon, or anything. The rules are there for a reason, they generally help to keep the peace so that no individual player has to carry that load. Its not purely a social situation. The second that cash goes into the pot it becomes something else.

Its kind of like the Kentucky Derby. It is fun to watch, but when you put that $2 bet down, you really want your horse to win even if you only take home $6. If people want a purely social situation they can get together with their buddies and play a casual round.
But the rub here is, this is just your take. Drunk guy probably see leagues as something completely different and uses the activity for completely different reasons. If the league is not PDGA sanctioned, rules are kind of up to the league coordinator. The drinker is likely not breaking any rules. Hope you understand, I essentially agree with you, common sense and courtesy should not be so difficult. But, drinking guy very well might feel he should be able to come to leagues, get drunk, not care about his game and be free from some uptight, sober guy telling him how to act. And really, he has just as much of a right to feel that way. While this seems outlandish, it is really just a matter of perspective.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:20 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noseph View Post
I’ve always thrown with loud people and dogs running up on the box so it doesn’t affect me. However, I don’t speak or move when someone is on the box or in a throwing motion.
If this is causing a distraction you can always gently remind everyone before the first tee that you like to have it quiet with no movement when you’re throwing. Or say something like “I like to play casual rounds as prep for competitive play, so I’d appreciate it if no one spoke while I was throwing”. Who can reasonably say no to that request.
OTOH I have a friend who will yell on the first box “Stop talking while I’m throwing!” or “Don’t talk to my disc!” then turns around and will calmly smile on the first box right after he throws on casual rounds. Nobody makes a peep when he’s up.
LMAO @ don't talk to my disc. I generally know when my disc is going to hit a tree even if my card mates don't so they can say whatever they want after it leaves my hand. We have a guy in our Saturday league who is famous for thinking his shots will end up poorly when they leave his hand, and they somehow find their way through every tree and end up parked.

Thank you for the feedback, very helpful.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
But the rub here is, this is just your take. Drunk guy probably see leagues as something completely different and uses the activity for completely different reasons. If the league is not PDGA sanctioned, rules are kind of up to the league coordinator. The drinker is likely not breaking any rules. Hope you understand, I essentially agree with you, common sense and courtesy should not be so difficult. But, drinking guy very well might feel he should be able to come to leagues, get drunk, not care about his game and be free from some uptight, sober guy telling him how to act. And really, he has just as much of a right to feel that way. While this seems outlandish, it is really just a matter of perspective.
Agreed 100%. And the league is on private property so it really is up to the course owner to make that determination in the end. I'm sure he wants to keep both of us as paying customers. I spend much money in the pro-shop on his discs so he puts up with my uptight-ness, and drunk guy spends much on league fees so he wants to keep us both happy. He and his wife are great people, have been in the game for almost 40 years, and run a great course. So when it comes down to it, it probably is a privilege for both of us to be playing his league. I really enjoy playing with him and the other "veterans" of the club and am always happy when I am on their card. I beat him sometimes he beats me sometimes, and we both hate losing, but at the end of the day we always have a good time playing.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Niced 1,619 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Agreed 100%. And the league is on private property so it really is up to the course owner to make that determination in the end. I'm sure he wants to keep both of us as paying customers. I spend much money in the pro-shop on his discs so he puts up with my uptight-ness, and drunk guy spends much on league fees so he wants to keep us both happy. He and his wife are great people, have been in the game for almost 40 years, and run a great course. So when it comes down to it, it probably is a privilege for both of us to be playing his league. I really enjoy playing with him and the other "veterans" of the club and am always happy when I am on their card. I beat him sometimes he beats me sometimes, and we both hate losing, but at the end of the day we always have a good time playing.
Yup, I get it. I love playing tournaments with my MA50 crew. We have a great time. We have stuff to talk about, we have common life experience and a learned acceptance of things in life.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:04 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks all for your feedback. Some good information to help me as I move forward. Hopefully a good learning experience on how I can improve my game and my enjoyment of the game.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 5
Niced 728 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Thanks all for your feedback. Some good information to help me as I move forward. Hopefully a good learning experience on how I can improve my game and my enjoyment of the game.
Yeah man just keep on learning and trying to figure out how to deal with bad situations... they can get in your head and take your game down.

I have a dear friend, a fine ambassador of the sport and who has started more people onto Discgolf in his 30?+ years. I love him dearly but God help me if I have to play with him. Aaaaaargh!!!!!!!

The disc is his talking stick, he advocates slow play, occasionally hires a caddy to pack his beer Cooler which he is very free with sharing. Clowns it up every chance he gets and is a very enjoyable person but entirely disruptive to my competitive game. I played with him in a tourney group, we came in an extra 30 min behind everyone else, at 25 min point the monsoon started. I dropped 4 strokes on last three holes, won by 1 but fricking cranky.

The flip side is I went to play Halloween glow golf after missing it for last 4 yrs.. People used to get dressed up, drink way too much and generally it was a fun epic mess. I went to play this year and it was too serious, too competitive and my shoddy Jamaican rasta dread toque was the only costuming out there.

In a weird way those people make it more entertaining and you miss them when they're gone. I even miss that time I got partnered with Bruce guy and he stayed up all night and tried to nap on the teepad every hole.. Haha we didn't win s***
Old 03-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 259 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
I was wondering what happened to you, kid. Good to see ya.
Ive been on almost everyday, just lurking.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Niced 97 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Where's DatRedDude to call you a mental midget?
this place is awesome sometimes