I'd have to give Idlewild the nod.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,201 Times in 2,229 Posts

Never played Harmon and don't see it happening anytime soon with my shoulder. Idlewild is just gnarly but for the most part, the fairways are fair. Only a couple holes are really spray and pray type shots and then if you think about the time in which the course was built, it was a different sport almost. I think the tbird came out right around the same time for reference. It was meant to challenge shot shaping and the ability to throw point to point. It is set up like a ball golf course sort of in that way.

The letter holes almost detract from the original course and it wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple 4.5's because of them. Sounds like Harmon might suffer from the same problem?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,201 Times in 2,229 Posts

^teebird was a year old at the time.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 209
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 84 Times in 33 Posts

I think the latest reviewer caught Harmon on a bad maintenance day. I've played it 4 times throughout the last few years and it's been in fairly good conditions during my rounds. However in the last few years, I do think Idlewild has been on the upswing (new baskets, signs, tree work, gravel paths, etc) while Harmon has been deteriorating a little. They need new baskets, signs, and some teepad upgrades to stay in the top 10. One thing no review has touched on lately is the tone-pole tiki course in the woods off hole 11. I realize it's been a work in progress but it's a really cool addition but there aren't any signs to help a traveling player locate the start (or once in, even navigate it).

Niced: (1)

Last edited by dr.chainslove; 06-04-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

From what I've heard about Harmon, it often doesn't get the maintenance it needs or deserves. I think part of this is that it's on private land, so it only gets that care when big events come around. I haven't played Idlewild (but will play it soon), but it obviously has club support and manpower (plus city park dollars?) that keep it in tip-top shape at all times.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 878 Times in 336 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
From what I've heard about Harmon, it often doesn't get the maintenance it needs or deserves. I think part of this is that it's on private land, so it only gets that care when big events come around. I haven't played Idlewild (but will play it soon), but it obviously has club support and manpower (plus city park dollars?) that keep it in tip-top shape at all times.
Over the past couple of years it's been mostly a one man wrecking crew. Bill Alich has been busting his ass out there doing almost all that work himself. With the approval and sometimes assistance from the park people.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 517
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Idlewild moved back ahead of Harmon...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...mode=rev#81134
As it should. I once gave Harmon Hills an honest good 4 disc review and it was immediately down voted by a ton of people and followed up with a ton of short 5 disc reviews to move it back to it's spot in the top 10. I enjoyed the course, but it's not top 10.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,942 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.chainslove View Post
I think the latest reviewer caught Harmon on a bad maintenance day. I've played it 4 times throughout the last few years and it's been in fairly good conditions during my rounds. However in the last few years, I do think Idlewild has been on the upswing (new baskets, signs, tree work, gravel paths, etc) while Harmon has been deteriorating a little. They need new baskets, signs, and some teepad upgrades to stay in the top 10. One thing no review has touched on lately is the tone-pole tiki course in the woods off hole 11. I realize it's been a work in progress but it's a really cool addition but there aren't any signs to help a traveling player locate the start (or once in, even navigate it).
Pretty sure tees are going to be upgraded over the coming year.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,144 Times in 1,063 Posts

Harmon: While I think 1-18 are better than 19-27, I have to say that 19-27, while unspectacular, are significantly tighter, and more technical. IMO, they add variety isn't present in #'s 1-18, which is a positive. They're also much harder to navigate, which isn't that hard to address, but to my knowledge, they simply haven't.

FWIW, I was lucky enough to play shortly after a tournament, so everything was about as nice as you could possibly hope for.

Niced: (2)

Old 06-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 407
Niced 742 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
FWIW, I was lucky enough to play shortly after a tournament, so everything was about as nice as you could possibly hope for.
I was also at Harmon right before a sizable gathering. The first 18 was all nice and trimmed up. 19-27 not so much. However, the raw element of the lines on the final 9 provided something different over the first 18. I'm no longer surprised that wooded hilly course by this time in June are having overgrowth getting away a bit. I'm working on putting in 9 holes in my mountainous backyard and cant keep up.