Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 PM

Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Dont know how "slow" you really consider the Gator, but the puddle topped Scott Withers color glows.... man, I've never thrown a disc so opposed to being in the air before.
I say a good gator is anywhere in the 2-5 range, depending how hard you crank on it.
I got a trashcan lid of a disc from the factory store. A beautiful Carolina blue colored glow champ. Absolute garbage, no pun intended.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 737 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
For gyro. I would say the Entropy is much closer to what the OP is referring to. Its dumpy and slow imo.

Rhyno sounds right on the money.

Zones are fast.

A snail can sleep for 3yrs
I picked up an Entropy it's been a while since the Zone but I second the slower description.. And dumpy especially next to an Envy... like 50ft sooner on a 200' I'm having trouble ranging it.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

I'm not going to read through 7 pages of responses, so disregard if you've already made your decision, OP. But my vote is Zone. You can find slower discs, but it's slow enough to comfortably approach on anything longer than a putt. It can even be controllably flicked from as close as 50'-60' when you find yourself stuck behind an obstacle with no chance at a putt. I don't need anything slower than that.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 740 Times in 632 Posts

I use a Star Shark for this as well as Shark in oop plastic so the Star Shark is what I can recommend for approach and also can do windy day putting as well as driving putter duties, I like 175 grams. Shark is one of the closest discs to an old Classic ROC that is still in full production with the same slight OS and flight path. If you want a brick get a Pig. The other disc that is close to a Classic ROC is a Stud but that disc is not rounded more squared off so I do not like the Stud that much in feel, my brother does because to him the disc feels like a putter version of the Gator when new and I agree a more putter like taller Gator. Now another disc I used was a Wizard, but the version I used in 2000's is now Ban by PDGA.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:28 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 740 Times in 632 Posts

Another Disc I recomend for approach shots that does not have a tone of glide is the Hydra, also flies very much like a Challenger.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 103 Times in 73 Posts

sweet sweet Justice.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 517 Times in 332 Posts

I like forehanding stable plastic that some would call flippy - FDs, leopards, etc. I will say though that it seems like slower discs are less forgiving of any OAT at all, and even for a finesse FH thrower like me, I need a little extra beef on anything as fast as a Zone or slower to really rely on for FH. I think the main issue is that I'm not putting much power behind these <200' upshots and the ratio of spin to airspeed is thrown off.

Anyway at this point I'm wrestling with just how many OS approach discs to bag. Really like the Mortar as an OS mid, really like the Zone as an OS upshot disc, but I wonder if they overlap to a degree. With this in mind, thinking of bagging one of the slightly slower OS approach options, or even skipping the Mortar entirely. Might just bag both and allow them to overlap a bit just to make sure slow OS shots are fully covered.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM

Niced 20 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I like forehanding stable plastic that some would call flippy - FDs, leopards, etc. I will say though that it seems like slower discs are less forgiving of any OAT at all, and even for a finesse FH thrower like me, I need a little extra beef on anything as fast as a Zone or slower to really rely on for FH. I think the main issue is that I'm not putting much power behind these <200' upshots and the ratio of spin to airspeed is thrown off.

Anyway at this point I'm wrestling with just how many OS approach discs to bag. Really like the Mortar as an OS mid, really like the Zone as an OS upshot disc, but I wonder if they overlap to a degree. With this in mind, thinking of bagging one of the slightly slower OS approach options, or even skipping the Mortar entirely. Might just bag both and allow them to overlap a bit just to make sure slow OS shots are fully covered.
Agreed about putters or slow mids being quite touchy with OAT. For instance, if I rip on my AviarX3 with a little OAT, it's a rather straight shot instead of a bumpy overstable shot.

However, I love to forehand the Proxy (liked the Maiden too) but I have a different type of forehand than I use for my drivers. I use almost none of my low body and concentrate on spinning the disc with my arm/ wrist. Certainly touchy but really useful on wooded courses where I live.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:13 AM
*Still Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 45 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
I picked up an Entropy it's been a while since the Zone but I second the slower description.. And dumpy especially next to an Envy... like 50ft sooner on a 200' I'm having trouble ranging it.
I dont understand the ultra beef folks that want a disc that just dies out of the hand.. the envy has 4 glide (which i consider low for this speed) and is perfectly rangeable in every "approach" condition i have ever thrown it, get it in soft neutron for a bit more beef if thats what you want and it sticks like velcro when it lands. The Envy also handles off axis torque and wind like its non existent.

If we were talking putter drives off the tee that you want to be more beefy (but where not, the topic is approaches) then i would say maybe something like a zone.. but even then i still use the most OS Envy in my bag for that because it works. I think we can get to the point where a disc has too much dump and no glide and then its also hard to range at farther distances because you have to put so much on it to get it there, personally i like beef and lower glide, but a happy medium.. not too far to one extreme or the other.

Last edited by Silver Rider; 06-06-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:27 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,161 Times in 1,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
As ever, my $0.02 is to suggest you leave one of the discs out of the bag for a round and see if you miss it. If you do, then put it back in the bag; if not, reconsider if it needs to be in there or if another 'overlapping' disc can do its job.

Also, i went through just this question myself: how many and which OS discs to bag. I've ended up with the Harp and the Banshee (or Jen Allen Teebird), and left the OS mids such as the Hornet out. That's been working for me on my home course; YMMV, of course.