Old 06-27-2019, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 734 Times in 514 Posts

Reddit and Facebook is why I hang out here.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2019, 04:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 226 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I can’t decide if it was great to be a noob in the pre-DG on the Internet era or not. On the one hand, we basically had the Innova flight chart as our guide to picking discs. On the other, we couldn’t go online and see a gazillion people shaming us for brand/plastic/putting style/etc choices.
I'm going with it was a bad thing. As a Noob, at my first tournament I didn't know what to pick in the player's pack. I asked the guy behind the table who said "Get the Predator, it's a great thrower, and in elite-z it'll hold up well" First round was complete random groupings, I was put on a card with a bunch of long arms who told me to keep working on throwing as hard as I could until it turned over. Talking about the same Predator, after plenty more advice like that, and other great one liners like "start your run up backwards" and "pull hard, like starting a lawn mower" or "If you don't power grip with all 4 fingers you'll never have a good throw" I was turning over Flicks and Monsters, but couldn't throw over 300 feet. Then I learned about wrist roll and off axis torque. Tried to correct it, then finally gave up and realized I'm rec for life.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:27 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 344 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
I'm going with it was a bad thing. As a Noob, at my first tournament I didn't know what to pick in the player's pack. I asked the guy behind the table who said "Get the Predator, it's a great thrower, and in elite-z it'll hold up well" First round was complete random groupings, I was put on a card with a bunch of long arms who told me to keep working on throwing as hard as I could until it turned over. Talking about the same Predator, after plenty more advice like that, and other great one liners like "start your run up backwards" and "pull hard, like starting a lawn mower" or "If you don't power grip with all 4 fingers you'll never have a good throw" I was turning over Flicks and Monsters, but couldn't throw over 300 feet. Then I learned about wrist roll and off axis torque. Tried to correct it, then finally gave up and realized I'm rec for life.
I dunno man. I used to go out every 2-3 weeks and throw a 50-52 on my local course. After field practice, discing down, putting practice, and refining my for I go out 2-3 times a week and shoot.....54.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 22
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

0-BNUmo1pNZMrcdR0_SFqWCOkgwSioNSNCbVVcjMq6s.jpg
Old 06-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 22
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

its all about the little beak at the end of the nose
Old 06-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 38.3
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 180 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
But this discussion has been about whether a 300’ golfer is good or not...
i turned 60 this year. i throw a good drive 300' give or take 20' (golf shot). i also putt and approach on a 970 rated player level. i don't rattle around A-holes, and have been playing the better part of 40 yrs. i've witnessed the transition from frisbees to modern golf discs and adapted. i putt at least 100 putts a day six days a week on either my outdoor or indoor putting areas. i am also very happy with my game but am always looking to improve despite being HANDICAPPED by my ever increasing age .

so...am i any good at disc golf?

Niced: (3)

Last edited by 2naphish; 06-27-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2019, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naphish View Post
i turned 60 this year. i throw a good drive 300' give or take 20' (golf shot). i also putt and approach on a 970 rated player level. i don't rattle around A-holes, and have been playing the better part of 40 yrs. i've witnessed the transition from frisbees to modern golf discs and adapted. i putt at least 100 putts a day six day a week on either my outdoor or indoor putting areas. i am also very happy with my game but am always looking to improve despite being HANDICAPPED by my ever increasing age .

If you get up and down from 200' and in basically every time, you're good at disc golf.

Anyone who can do that will get even par at worst on basically any course, and pretty much has to pick up some birdies along the way. And I don't think anyone would ever think someone with that much earned consistency is bad at disc golf.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 551 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naphish View Post
i turned 60 this year. i throw a good drive 300' give or take 20' (golf shot). i also putt and approach on a 970 rated player level. i don't rattle around A-holes, and have been playing the better part of 40 yrs. i've witnessed the transition from frisbees to modern golf discs and adapted. i putt at least 100 putts a day six days a week on either my outdoor or indoor putting areas. i am also very happy with my game but am always looking to improve despite being HANDICAPPED by my ever increasing age .

Yeah you are good, good for a geriatric. Not good compared to able bodied men. But I bet you kick the crap out of your peers!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 37
Niced 226 Times in 135 Posts

This is anti-noob, but after that self reflection a few posts ago I remembered the time some noob was complaining about his destroyer wasn't flying right, then asked what I threw and how it went so far (about 250' mind you) I stared at him in disbelief for a second and replied "In my day, 7 speed fairways were considered fast and far" "Oh, that was my wasp by the way"

Niced: (1)

Old 06-28-2019, 04:48 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan mc View Post
its all about the little beak at the end of the nose
Do not however mistake an old DX Eagle photo with micro bead near nose on the wing on the disc for a Eagle X unless it truly is an old DX Eagle X with micro bead near nose on the wing on the disc. I have seen new players from 2000's before my dad gave his old DX circle Eagle to my brother for a Champion Eagle in a dumb I-Dye choice of colors and a new DX Eagle at the time, a Yellow disc.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-28-2019 at 04:50 AM.