Old 07-28-2019, 09:09 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts
Default DWalk's Bag

Had a previous itb thread, but this one will be comprehensive and not limited to 2019.
Will use this for archiving my progression as well as for any feedback/suggestions

Vitals
- Years playing/experience: 3 years DG
- Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: ambidextrous
- Throwing Style: RHBH (primary), LHBH
- Distances:
RHBH: Wizard: 180'/200'; Buzzz: 200'/225'; Explorer: 280'/310'.
LHBH is about 50 feet shorter

Optional:
- Sex: M
- Injuries/handicaps?: N/A
- Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, beach volleyball

Goals
- Push out distance. Wizard to 250'; Buzzz to 275'; Explorer to 325'
- More accurate upshots from 200' and in.
- Field Practice once a week, during peak times of the year
- play 50 times a year, or ~4 times a month on average

- Long-term goal: have enough distance to incorporate a speed 11 driver. Break 400' distance

Current Bag:

Drivers
172 opto Explorer - light wear, workhorse driver
170 big Z Mantis - new, u/s driver for tailwind/calm conditions

Mids
172 ESP Buzzz - light wear, workhorse mid

Putters
173 ESP Zone - new, o/s putter for windy approaches or utility shots
175 SS Wizard - light wear, workhorse putter (approach putter and putting putter)

What I'm considering:

Drivers:
Heat - speed 9, u/s, tailwind, calm - think this disc could give me my greatest distance
River - speed 7, u/s -- have never thrown a disc with 7 glide. popular fairway driver. course I usually play at is not too long, I think this could be a good fit
Culverin - speed 9 - am starting to push my Explorer past 300'. this may be my next disc up for headwinds, windy conditions. don't think I'm ready for it yet, but maybe in the future

Mids:
Comet - seems to be an all-time favorite mid for several long-time players, but I think this would overlap with my Buzzz. Still want to try it. Don't play wooded courses often, but think it would be a good pick up for the times that I do
Verdict - seems to be popular O/S mid.

Putter:
Axiom Envy - popular putter. considering trying this as a throwing putter while still using the Wizard as putting putter. I don't like the idea of having 3 putters, but that is also probably the most important disc type. I like the Wizard as a throwing putter, but the Envy has a more shallow rim, and I'd be interested to see how I like the grip in comparison

Additional Thoughts
I don't have an O/S mid right now, but I also think the Zone is pretty close to being considered a "mid". I have an Anvil but I feel like there's too much overlap between it and Zone since they're both very o/s and speed 4. If I got a Verdict, it might fit b/c it could provide more distance than a Zone/Anvil.

Haven't tried the Mantis yet, it's on the way.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2019, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,945 Times in 1,671 Posts

You build a bag similar to how I like to:

Stable/OS Control/Fairway Driver
Stable/US Control/Fairway Driver
Stable Midrange
Stable Putter

Keeping things as simple as possible while learning is great. I think the River would be a great compliment to the Explorer feel wise. The rims are similar widths, similar plastics.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
You build a bag similar to how I like to:

Stable/OS Control/Fairway Driver
Stable/US Control/Fairway Driver
Stable Midrange
Stable Putter

Keeping things as simple as possible while learning is great. I think the River would be a great compliment to the Explorer feel wise. The rims are similar widths, similar plastics.
Absolutely. I'm very much in a learning phase right now. By limiting which molds/discs I throw, I am getting to know them very well, and it's incredibly helpful in monitoring my progress. And there's so many options within those molds I think it's worth taking my time exploring at least some of them.

I picked up a River today -- you're right, feels very similar to an Explorer, which I love.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,157 Times in 1,587 Posts

The River is a great mold. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,945 Times in 1,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk77 View Post
Absolutely. I'm very much in a learning phase right now. By limiting which molds/discs I throw, I am getting to know them very well, and it's incredibly helpful in monitoring my progress. And there's so many options within those molds I think it's worth taking my time exploring at least some of them.

I picked up a River today -- you're right, feels very similar to an Explorer, which I love.
This philosophy will take you far...learn a few molds now, maximize what you can do with them and only add discs if you absolutely are missing a shot. No reason to have 10+ molds in your bag...really ever. Also, tailor your bag to the places you play.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Bogey Member

have cut down on playing the last few weeks. It's been breaking 100 regularly, so a little unpleasant.
I did a field session the other day.

feel 100% on these:
go-to putter: wizard
go-to mid: buzzz
go-to fairway: explorer

I have 2 more mold slots I feel undecided about:
o/s putter/mid
u/s fairway

For the o/s putter/mid, it's the Harp vs Zone. I don't have a ton of throws with either of them. I did a field session the other day, and my initial impression was I favor the Zone. It feels better in my hand for the fan grip (I only throw bh), I guess b/c of the more shallow rim and being beadless. I had a cleaner release with it. Other than that, not much difference. I could see myself throwing either of these. For the time being, going to go out with the Zone for the next 10 rounds or so and really give it a try.

The u/s fairway is a new mold for me to try. Before I was discing up when I wasn't ready yet. I have 4 discs here: seer, river, mantis, and heat. Again, don't have a ton of throws with any of these discs, but I did do a practice session with them. I had thrown the seer before, and loved the lines I was getting, but felt the rim was too thin. The River also feels a bit thin for my liking. Even though it's similar to the explorer (same company, same plastic, same speed), it doesn't feel quite as beefy in my hand. The mantis feels better, and the heat feels the best as far as power grip in my hand.
I was surprised to find out that the Seer actually had the best flights for me. I got the best s-curves out of it.
I'm going to take these out for some more practice sessions to compare. For the time being though, for my rounds, think I'm leaning towards the Heat b/c it feels the best in my hand
Old 08-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 448 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk77 View Post
I have 2 more mold slots I feel undecided about:
o/s putter/mid
u/s fairway

For the o/s putter/mid, it's the Zone.

The u/s fairway is The mantis
^voting for these (out of what you listed)

Niced: (1)
Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Niced 10 Times in 6 Posts

I have somewhat similar distances to you, and definitely recommend the Heat. Great glide and easy turn without burning on me too often. I have a River as well, and feel like it's more sensitive. It is good for form practice, but it definitely will turn over and crash on me fairly often. I also vote for Zone over Harp, but I don't think you can really go wrong with either.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrockmoran View Post
I have somewhat similar distances to you, and definitely recommend the Heat. Great glide and easy turn without burning on me too often. I have a River as well, and feel like it's more sensitive. It is good for form practice, but it definitely will turn over and crash on me fairly often. I also vote for Zone over Harp, but I don't think you can really go wrong with either.
Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll go out with the Heat for a round today. Seems appropriate too since we're around 100 outside..

Old 08-25-2019, 10:45 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 209 Times in 138 Posts

Your current bag makes a lot of sense. Don't overpopulate it! Rather swap discs instead of adding ones. None of your goals requires any change in your bag.

And btw: Work on your forehand! ;-)